Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: No more fags
Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: June 15, 2011 12:56

Big Al
I agree with riffhard 72. Who really cares?

However, I very much doubt that after 40 + years of puffing away, he'd just quit. I'd say the damage (if any) is already done.

Also, I beleive that if Ronnie hadn't have had his cancer scare, he'd still be smoking.

Bill Wyman recently quit smoking, after something like 55 years.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 15, 2011 12:59

I do: at the first O2 show he lit up on stage and got into trouble for it. At the second he lit (to huge applause) what he then claimed was a fake cigarette made of cotton-wool, took one puff, said "I hate that sh*t!" and threw it away. At the third, he had some other kind of fake which he ate (not lighted, I hope!).

All part of the act, folks. Making the ban look ridiculous.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 15, 2011 13:14

The chain smoking image is all an act. Probably has been so for decades.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 15, 2011 13:51

at the final o2 show in 2007, duing the band introductions I could clearly see Ronnie and Keith behind the amps having a sneaky cigarette. They looked like naughty schoolboys smoking behind the bike sheds (albeit, 60 year old schoolboys)

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 15, 2011 13:55

vudicus
They looked like naughty schoolboys smoking behind the bike sheds (albeit, 60 year old schoolboys)

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 15, 2011 15:05

Keith isn't as heavy a smoker as the image would suggest. The cigarette seems to act as a prop more than anything else. Undoubtedly he's a smoker, albeit not one who gets through 2 packs a day. I suspect Ronnie is the heaviest these days.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 15, 2011 16:18

The dude is passed on. Not funny

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 15, 2011 16:19

What about 'a fag in LA'?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 15, 2011 17:08

I'd love to see Keith chew tobacco! Rrrrrrrrrrrgh... SPIT!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 15, 2011 17:11

If Keith's heavy smoking in public is really just "an act" then I despise him.

It's one thing if the guy smokes. If he just plays it up to fit an image, that's a whole other thing.

I've always referred to the prominent display of cigarettes on his two solo album covers as his "Joe Camel" shots.

Like it or not, as an icon he's helping sell tobacco products. In this day and age, and at his age, he should be more responsible.

I'm not saying he has to make an anti-smoking PSA or anything like that. But the guy should just say no when a photographer wants to shoot him while he's smoking.

He doesn't need that prop.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 15, 2011 17:24

The Sicilian
I wonder how many people here thought this was a gay thread upon first look at the title?

Not me. I recognized it from 6 years ago

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 15, 2011 17:24

dcba
I'd love to see Keith chew tobacco! Rrrrrrrrrrrgh... SPIT!

Damn dude, he just got a new set of teeth. Don't encourage him!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 15, 2011 17:26

Beast
I remember he then ate a cigarette on stage at one of the next two shows there! Anyone else remember that?

Yes, I remember. That was funny. But I guess it was a chocolate cigarette

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 15, 2011 17:33

Here's what ya'll REALLY saw at the O2:

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 15, 2011 19:26

The Sicilian
I wonder how many people here thought this was a gay thread upon first look at the title?
I just thought it was gay to bump a 6 yr old thread about smoking.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 15, 2011 20:53

I do yeah.
i did the same and still feel fine.
byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
jeroen

Date: June 15, 2011 23:14

I kinda like the electronic cigarette, but, I don't know... I can imagine them not going down too well in the pubs and bars.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: June 15, 2011 23:18

I'm curious to try an electronic cig but I don't know where one gets them. Has anyone here tried it?

As for those of you saying "who cares if he smokes or doesn't" - smokers (some of us) care. I don't know why, but it matters. Possibly, we are over-identified with our music heroes. I don't smoke because they do, but if certain key people quit, then I have to. It's all very neurotic and I don't claim it makes sense.

When someone told me awhile back - wrongly as it turns out - that Jimmy Page finally quit smoking after umpteen years, I panicked. I thought, "now I have to quit smoking!" Fortunately, it wasn't true.

Yes, I am nuts.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 16, 2011 02:48

sweetcharmedlife
The Sicilian
I just thought it was gay to bump a 6 yr old thread about smoking.eye rolling smiley

I of course hate fags.
Cigarettes that is.
I think it is gay to insult someone's sexual orientation.
Live and let live, but don't smoke!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 16, 2011 06:05

treaclefingers
sweetcharmedlife
The Sicilian

I of course hate fags.
Cigarettes that is.
But it's not gay to call a thread gay. Just look at the gay song thread.eye rolling smileyeye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 16, 2011 06:18

sweetcharmedlife
The Sicilian

Just trying to get you out of the closet and join in tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 16, 2011 06:25

sweetcharmedlife
treaclefingers
sweetcharmedlife
The Sicilian

I of course hate fags.
Cigarettes that is.
But it's not gay to call a thread gay. Just look at the gay song thread.eye rolling smileyeye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

Agreed...that certainly is not gay, not that there's anything wrong with that!

Date: June 16, 2011 08:42

Claire_M

When someone told me awhile back - wrongly as it turns out - that Jimmy Page finally quit smoking after umpteen years, I panicked. I thought, "now I have to quit smoking!" Fortunately, it wasn't true.

Yes, I am nuts.

No your'e not, Cindy. Is Page actually still smoking, then? I know that both he and Plant were whilst touring together in the 90's, but haven't seen any footage or photograph's of them smoking since.

I'm under the impression that most of the 60's musical generation who smoked, have now quit: Jagger, Clapton, etc.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 16, 2011 12:36

Big Al
Claire_M

Yes, I am nuts.

No your'e not, Cindy. Is Page actually still smoking, then? I know that both he and Plant were whilst touring together in the 90's, but haven't seen any footage or photograph's of them smoking since.

I'm under the impression that most of the 60's musical generation who smoked, have now quit: Jagger, Clapton, etc.

Cindy? Shurely shome mishtake Al. I always knew her as Claire. Claire M, please tell us your name is still Claire and not Cindy.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: June 16, 2011 13:51

Big Al
Claire_M

Yes, I am nuts.

Even Lou Reed's given up.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 16, 2011 14:15

the last thing Miles Davis quitted was smoking...he died short after that...

smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: June 16, 2011 16:47

Silver Dagger
Cindy? Shurely shome mishtake Al. I always knew her as Claire. Claire M, please tell us your name is still Claire and not Cindy.

Oh bloody hell! It was too early for me! I guess my tiredness led me to read the poster as Cindy C!

Apologies to Claire

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 16, 2011 17:53

Claire_M
I'm curious to try an electronic cig but I don't know where one gets them. Has anyone here tried it?

I quit smoking in 2007 after blacking out after a cig - not the best way to quit but sure made me not want another. My wife & best friend are still niccotine addicts who have both recently switched to e-cigs. Since I don't use them, I haven't paid attention to what they are using. My buddy did extensive research and found a company in FLA where they got their kits and now get their supplies. I'll see if I can find the information for you.

Big Al -> You're right. Both of them have received complaints for "smoking" in public. Funny in that there is absolutely no smoke but they both have an e-cig that lights up when they drag on it and there is water vapor that is exhaled after the pull. After having it explained, most of the complaints go away but there have been a couple of times that were pretty, how shall we say it, humorous.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: June 16, 2011 23:20

Big Al
Silver Dagger

Oh bloody hell! It was too early for me! I guess my tiredness led me to read the poster as Cindy C!

Apologies to Claire

No problem! And Pagey is still smokin' - he and Ronnie looked like naughty (if ancient) schoolboys sneaking out for a smoke at the Hall of Fame ceremonies in Cleveland a year or two ago. Pagey may have stopped drinking though - he was seen sipping a non-alcoholic O'Doul's [yecch].

Date: June 17, 2011 19:41

Great picture, Claire. Thank you for posting thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home