Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Godzilla
Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: February 9, 2014 18:41

Well, there are more than a few challenges in getting Godzilla right these days, not least of which, it is probably a mistake to entirely separate the main protagonist from his soundtrack.

Akira Ifukube was simply brilliant...

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: February 10, 2014 03:36

Godzilla always seemed campy. Godzilla versus King Kong, Mothra, the Smog Monster, etc. The Matthew Broderick movie, Godzilla versus Ferris or whatever, is campy. I think. I saw it in the theater but cannot remember it at all.

Then again, the 1960s Batman & Robin TV series is campy. That franchise turned itself (somewhat) around with the Dark Knight movie series, so who knows.

If it were billed as a scary Godzilla movie, I'd try it. But I cannot tell if it is from the one preview clip I watched.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: February 10, 2014 11:03

drbryant
ChrisM
This year marks the 60th anniversary of the orignal film's release in 1954. The version most have seen is the edited version that chopped a bit and tacked on scenes with Raymond Burr. This version was released in the US in 1956 and was a very different film than the orginal, which had much more to do with social commentary...

My father was in the original Godzilla. He was living in West LA, and is one of the Asian actors brought in to stand around Raymond Burr to make it look like he was in Tokyo. He had a couple of close ups. I remember him saying that when they filmed it, he thought it was a complete joke and that he'd never hear of the movie again, and that he was shocked when it became famous.

I am a collector of all things Godzilla so this is very cool for me to know.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 10, 2014 11:20

Everybody was performing the "Sheeeh!" pose from a popular manga character at that era.grinning smiley

1966@Tokyo Hilton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 00:57 by Toru A.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: February 11, 2014 16:34

Looks like he's trying to rub his tummy and tap his head at the same time. Some people cannot do this, evidently some monsters, as well.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 14, 2014 00:58

Bellajane
This is seriously OT...hope I don't get deleted. Any Godzilla fans here? The new movie Godzilla 2014 looks awesome. Just saw the trailer yesterday. I believe the monster attacks NYC. Godzilla looks real and ferocious, and out for blood. Not like that over-sized hoptoad in the version with Matthew Broderick in 1998. Horrible movie. Can't wait to see this one which will be released in May.

The Sony one (Size Does Matter) was AWESOME! Godzilla was much more realistic. I found it to be fantastic. Nobody watches these movies for the plot involving people, it's all about the giant lizard! Matthew Broderick was bad - but that was par for the course.

I'm guessing they've picked up the story where the one that survived in that one takes over?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 14, 2014 02:46

No, this one has nothing to do with that travesty with Brodrick. That was a Disney version of Godzilla...cute stupid plot, now menace, and very cheesy. And the lizard was not Godzilla!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 14, 2014 08:19

Date: February 15, 2014 00:12

whitem8
No, this one has nothing to do with that travesty with Brodrick. That was a Disney version of Godzilla...cute stupid plot, now menace, and very cheesy. And the lizard was not Godzilla!

I liked the new Godzilla. I love lizards so... it was nice to see something a bit more realistic. The print doesn't change with the old ones so... come on - the lizard part of the movie was worth it! I thought it was great. They really don't need to have people talking in those movies other than 'oh we're doomed' or whatever.

Date: February 15, 2014 05:13

I thought it was cheesy. With the whole egg thing in the sports arena, and the lizard didn't even look like Godzilla! They should have done it more like Cloverfield. A great movie, old school sci fi disaster movie. It was a lame comedy style adventure film that didn't have anything to do with the original spirit of the Godzilla series. But its cool you like it! I am more excited about this upcoming remake that looks old school.

Date: February 19, 2014 16:49

Lizards lay eggs. It was cheesy but at least it was somewhat realistic. As in true to the animal. I thought the lizard looked a lot like Godzilla in regard to how it could really look like. And which Godzilla you talkin' about? They made some goofy ones.

This one?

Ha ha!

I always liked this one. Seems to be a casual greatest hits Stones fan too.

Date: February 20, 2014 19:02

I know the Sony Godzilla was full of amazing screwups. Bad director! Still love the lizard!

Date: February 26, 2014 00:52

scurrrrry!!!

Date: February 26, 2014 00:55

That is a bad ass trailer!

Date: February 26, 2014 02:26

New movie looks good, but lets hope they realize Godzilla isn't merely an "animal" but something more.. a "monster"

Nice scene from Godzilla v Ghidorah here...

Date: February 26, 2014 03:56

I think it is looking like a full-fledged monster movie. Those scenes from the Pacific Nuclear tests "those weren't tests! You were trying to destroy it!" seems to show it is a monster movie. Good!

Date: February 26, 2014 06:31

whitem8
I think it is looking like a full-fledged monster movie. Those scenes from the Pacific Nuclear tests "those weren't tests! You were trying to destroy it!" seems to show it is a monster movie. Good!

+1

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 26, 2014 15:26

its got Walter White in it..

Date: February 26, 2014 16:42

duke richardson

Or Malcolm's dad, for those of us who never watched BB winking smiley

or is it Dentist Tim Whatley?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 16:45 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: February 26, 2014 16:54

Max'sKansasCity
duke richardson

Max-BB is a delightful, uplifting series..you must check it out..!

Date: February 26, 2014 17:03

duke richardson
Max'sKansasCity
duke richardson

thumbs up
It is certainly on my list...
I do not recall ever hearing such unanimous positive opinions about a TV show.

I have a future weekend(week) set aside (or maybe a 12(x2) hour flight to some far away land to see my Stones play live again) when I imagine I WILL finally watch the entire series... maybe in one marathon sitting winking smiley.

Date: February 26, 2014 17:25

Max'sKansasCity
duke richardson
Max'sKansasCity
duke richardson

thumbs up
It is certainly on my list...
I do not recall ever hearing such unanimous positive opinions about a TV show.

I have a future weekend(week) set aside (or maybe a 12(x2) hour flight to some far away land to see my Stones play live again) when I imagine I WILL finally watch the entire series... maybe in one marathon sitting winking smiley.

well you have a lot to look forward to re that BB..and the Stones, not to mention..
you're a lucky man..

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 26, 2014 18:45

Godzilla is always wrecking havoc in our home.

The kids and I just watched Terror of MechaGodzilla last week on Netflix.
AWESOME action in the beginning of that one, almost a greatest hits run through, which was rare. Usually one must wait out boring plot ideas leading up to the BIG MAN himself.

Look out kids...
Did you just hear something?

Date: February 27, 2014 01:34

Date: February 27, 2014 01:36

Any way to make it smaller? This is too big to put here I think.

[scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net]

Date: February 27, 2014 01:38

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 27, 2014 01:59

I can't wait to see it. I just want to hear that roar over the theatre sound system. The Stones should have played a custom trailer at the beginning of the Tokyo shows before coming on stage to the roar.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 27, 2014 02:10

Can't say I'll see it but it was interesting to hear Ligeti's 'Requirem' in the trailer.

Rocks Off rip off?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 3, 2014 05:46

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-03 05:46 by hbwriter.

Re: Rocks Off rip off?
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 3, 2014 05:52

Yeah HB, sure starts off in that famililar way. The whole commercial makes me not want to see the movie.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home