Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: "Burn" - worst album opener ever
Date: January 7, 2014 23:22

i love that song

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 7, 2014 23:35

Maybe one of their best openers and one of their best songs from any of Deep Purple's lineups.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: January 8, 2014 00:26

Coming off the lackluster swan song with Gillan (Woman From Tokyo excepted) this song announced the arrival of the new line-up in a rousing fashion! Burn indeed.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 8, 2014 00:42

One of my fave Purple songs. I liked the funky element that Hughes brought to them.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 8, 2014 01:21

Alright, There once was a woman, A strange kind of woman, The kind that gets written down in history, Her name was Nancy, Her face was nothing fancy,She left a trail of happiness and misery....

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 8, 2014 02:08

Max'sKansasCity
Alright, There once was a woman, A strange kind of woman, The kind that gets written down in history, Her name was Nancy, Her face was nothing fancy,She left a trail of happiness and misery....

- Great song. I`ve just purchased the 3 first albums from the Mk2 era. IMHO, every album has about 2 weaker tracks. On "In Rock", there`s "Flight of The Rat" and "Hard Lovin` Man". On Fireball, there`s "The Mule" and "No One Came". On "Machine Head", there`s "Pictures of Home" and "Never Before".

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 8, 2014 02:20

Never Before is probably their best tune ever along with Burn and Highway Star!!

But I don't like that richie boy's remarks about our Keith and the boys.

Blackmore is only jealous cos he doesn't look as cool as Dartford's finest.

Date: January 8, 2014 17:35

MadMax
Blackmore is only jealous cos he doesn't look as cool as Dartford's finest.

- Hmm, it`s a hard world... (I mean it)

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 8, 2014 23:43

noughties
- Great song. I`ve just purchased the 3 first albums from the Mk2 era. IMHO, every album has about 2 weaker tracks. On "In Rock", there`s "Flight of The Rat" and "Hard Lovin` Man". On Fireball, there`s "The Mule" and "No One Came". On "Machine Head", there`s "Pictures of Home" and "Never Before".
I probably shouldn't be harsh, since you just bought the albums, but you clearly need to revise your view on No One Came, one of their best songs ever, IMHO. Ian Gillan at his best (vocally and lyrically). The rest you mentioned are mighty fine too, but they ain't their most famous tracks. Ian Gillan loves the Fireball album, though, and they're playing some lesser known tracks live; Hard Lovin' Man is a regular in their set for the first tour ever, I think.

Re: OT: Deep Purple In Rock
Date: January 9, 2014 15:17

To avoid this thread to disappear in the abyss, I really don`t know what kind of rock fan you are. Are you a concert freak? The louder the better? Ready to defend all that rocks? That`s beyond me. To my knowledge, Deep Purple is yet not in the rock and roll hall of fame. Music mag Mojo still hasn`t any special edition about them, but there are many about Led Zep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-09 15:53 by noughties.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 9, 2014 17:11

It seems like most everyone (who posted here) loves Deep Purple. They are AWESOME rock and roll, and I am pretty sure none of us care one teeny tiney ency squenchy itty bitty tiny bit about that silly thing in Cleveland. DEEP PURPLE and thier fans know what is what and who is real rock and roll. And Deep Purple IS ROCK AND ROLL, some of the best of all time, saddly they show how hard it is to keep rocking personel together for 50 years, or even 10 years... it is hard. Which is why THE STONES get my top choice.

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: January 10, 2014 01:43

this is one group for whatever reason, gets no respect, from the rock hall of fame,to American success,but deep purple gets a ton of respect from me,love em

Date: January 18, 2014 06:20

Now time has come to a consideration of 2013`s “Now What?!”. I notice it`s hardly reviewed by the big newspapers on the net, but gets some shortsighted appraise from some anorak people at some prog and heavy forums. After the first excitement of mine has passed away, I`m afraid the verdict has to be very, very harsh. I say; - Very, very harsh! First of all; I loath 1984`s “Perfect Strangers” of all of my heart. There were a couple of good songs with three more to go, but that`s about it. What I dislike, is the very spirit of it; this spirit of letting younger bands tell you what to play; the 80s vibe.

“Now What?!” starts fine. The first song is just fine. Then comes two very bad songs. Those heavy cello synths I don`t like at all. The next song, “Hell to Pay”, could have passed as a minor Mk 2 song, saved by the organ solo. “Body Line” is close to some “80s shit”, but luckily, we don`t have to listen to those aforementioned heavy cello synths. “Above and Beyond” is a tad better, but has some stupid Genesis keyboards. “Blood Out of Stone” settles it back to normality of the aforemenioned first song on the album. I like it. There`s a “Riders on The Storm” - like electric piano, combined with some heavy DP organ in the chorus. Then we`re back in prog-land with the song “Uncommon Man”. It`s passable, but nothing more. “Après vous” is perhaps the best song on the album, but the lyrics are tasteless and nasty, - downright unbearable. “All the Time in The World” is another good one.

If this album has some red thread, it could be “A Simple Song”, “Blood From A Stone”, and “All The Time in The World.” They make a beatiful row of what DP could be all about today. “Vincent Price” sounds like a cross between Michael Jackson`s “Thriller” and Alice Cooper`s “Poison”. It`s slightly passable, but not great. All in all I feel the general influence of what the genre Heavy Metal has become today, and I don`t like it at all. - Never have.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1572
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home