Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones Most Versatile Group Ever
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 17, 2013 21:51

flilflam
I submit the following data as only some of the evidence for the above assertion. I have listed as many music categories as I could think of. This does not cover all of the great Stones classics such as Brown Sugar and She was Hot.

Psychedelic-2000 Light Years From Home
Country Rock-Dead Flowers
Slow Country-Far Away Eyes
Instrumental-2120 South Michigan Avenue
Rock Cover-Down the Road Apiece
Classic Blues Cover-Love in Vain
Original Blues-Down in the Hole
Rap-Anybody Seen My Baby
Reggae-Dance
Romantic Ballad-Angie
Soulful Ballad-Following the River
Jazz-Rain Fall Down
Generation Y-Doom and Gloom

I dare anyone to name any other rock group that is as versatile as the Stones, using these 13 categories. Phish maybe?

Rain Fall Down is not a jazz song, and Dance is not a reggae song but...

Iggy Pop

Psychedelic- We Will Fall, Ann, Watching The News, Street crazies, etc
Country Rock- Highway Song
Slow Country- No Sense Of Crime
Instrumental- Chracter
Rock Cover- louie louie, foxy lady, purple haze, i cant explain, etc...
Classic Blues Cover- I'm a man, and every song he did in The Prime Movers Blues band
Original Blues- Need Somebody, Wrong Feels Right, etc..
Rap- I'm So @#$%& Alone
Reggae- Happy man,
Romantic Ballad- Moonlight lady,
Soulful Ballad- Entire Apres album
Jazz- King Of The Dogs, Fun House,
Funk, - fun House, wild america, sex machine, etc

Iggy has recorded ethnic music too, film score music, gothic disco, punk, heavy metal, electronic songs, pop, disco - you name it, he's even done french chanson and christmas jingles,

Iggy is even more versitile than the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-17 22:17 by seitan.

Date: November 17, 2013 22:01

flilflam
I submit the following data as only some of the evidence for the above assertion. I have listed as many music categories as I could think of. This does not cover all of the great Stones classics such as Brown Sugar and She was Hot.

Rap-Anybody Seen My Baby
Reggae-Dance
Romantic Ballad-Angie
Jazz-Rain Fall Down

I dare anyone to name any other rock group that is as versatile as the Stones, using these 13 categories. Phish maybe?

THE DOORS

The Doors might be even more versatile than the Stones.
There's plenty of genre's in The Doors music Been Down So Long, Cars His By My Window ( blues) Peace Frog ( funk) Love Street ( love ballad) The End, Strange Days ( psychedelia) Horse latitudes, riders on the storm, when the musics over ( jazz), etc etc... there's even flamenco in Spanish Caravan and heavy metal in Five Foot One.

Jim Morrison did lot of poetry readings and spoken word stuff, so you can find early rap there too..There's lot of straight ahead rock n roll, and they even did some waltz, and Bertol Brecht ...

So I think they beat Stones in this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-17 22:09 by seitan.

Date: November 17, 2013 22:12

seitan
flilflam

Rap-Anybody Seen My Baby
Reggae-Dance
Romantic Ballad-Angie
Jazz-Rain Fall Down

THE DOORS

There's plenty of genre's in The Doors music Been Down So Long, Cars His By My Window ( blues) Peace Frog ( funk) Love Street ( love ballad) The End, Strange Days ( psychedelia) Horse latitudes, riders on the storm, when the musics over ( jazz), etc etc... there's even flamenco in Spanish Caravan and heavy metal in Five Foot One.

Jim Morrison did lot of poetry readings and spoken word stuff, so you can find early rap there too..There's lot of straight ahead rock n roll, and they even did some waltz, and Bertol Brecht ...

man how did the doors slip my mind. they have other stuff too like r&b/soul on a few songs and "runnin blue" has a country feel

Date: November 17, 2013 22:28

keefriffhard4life
seitan
flilflam

Rap-Anybody Seen My Baby
Reggae-Dance
Romantic Ballad-Angie
Jazz-Rain Fall Down

THE DOORS

man how did the doors slip my mind. they have other stuff too like r&b/soul on a few songs and "runnin blue" has a country feel

Yeah, and let's not forget that Rolling Stones have been doing this for over 50 years...The Doors career is rather short, Jim died when he was 27 years old...So when you consider how versatile they were and how much The Doors created - in only few years..it's amazing. Manzarek, Krieger, Morrison and Densmore were amazing creative force. Had Jim been alive for few years longer, let alone for 50 years like the Stones - imagine what the Doors would have done by now...

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: November 17, 2013 23:21

This thread is insane. The Stones don't have a rap song. Not Anybody Seen My Baby, (Although they sample Biz Markie), not Too Much Blood and not Emotional Rescue.

They do have a genuine Disco song (though it was a bit more than that) in Miss You, and dabbling or not, it shouldn't be disparaged or dismissed out of hand. They took it to #1 helping to propel Some Girls to their 2nd best commercial effort there and they got their clip on Soul Train as well - Offhand, I don't recall Led Zep or Iggy on Soul Train. Anyway, it predated the Kinks doing Superman and Rod Stewart Do Ya Think I'm Sexy and not entirely certain either of the latter two would even have been made without Miss You having been done first.

Props in the whole versatility sweepstakes to The Grateful Dead and Queen and Kinks and so forth, but it gets to be apples and oranges.

When you consider the Stones long long long career and relative commercial success over that time - whether large or marginal - start to recall back on all the folks the Stones have recorded with or jammed with, I believe the opening poster has it right in spirit at least.

Consider Mick's Keith's Ronnie's Bill's Brian's Mick Taylor's solo efforts -with guests included, or when they were the guests. When you get to Super Heavy with Mick Jagger you can start to consider something more "rap like" on one of those songs even. Yes, that's a bit of a "cheat" - it doesn't prove the Stones as a unit are more versatile than X Y or Z, but they are their own standalone entity those seven guys.

I doubt if there is a comprehensive list of everyone of note they've all worked with, but if there is, I would love to see it. Maybe a thread for another day.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: November 18, 2013 00:15

Frank Zappa and company by far, imo.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 18, 2013 00:28

svt22
Frank Zappa and company by far, imo.

For sure. smoking smiley

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: November 18, 2013 00:45

seitan
keefriffhard4life
seitan
flilflam

Rap-Anybody Seen My Baby
Reggae-Dance
Romantic Ballad-Angie
Jazz-Rain Fall Down

THE DOORS

Yeah, and let's not forget that Rolling Stones have been doing this for over 50 years...The Doors career is rather short, Jim died when he was 27 years old...So when you consider how versatile they were and how much The Doors created - in only few years..it's amazing. Manzarek, Krieger, Morrison and Densmore were amazing creative force. Had Jim been alive for few years longer, let alone for 50 years like the Stones - imagine what the Doors would have done by now...

Something like Justin Bieber?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 18, 2013 00:49

^ More like Blue Oyster Cult I would think.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2010
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home