Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Soundboard
Posted by: skelly ()
Date: May 5, 2005 21:20

Can someone please tell me what "Soundboard" is? From what I can gather a sounboard recording is a better quality but tell me more please.

What does the term mean and how is the recording achieved? Who does it?

Maybe sounds like a daft question but I don't know!

Thanks

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Re: Soundboard
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 5, 2005 21:40

Hi Skelly. A soundboard recording is one made from the mixing desk, where the PA is monitored and adjusted so the sound is genreally uniform to the listening audience. All the feeds from the PA go into this station and so any recordings made from a tape deck or CD recorder hooked up to it would have a good overall sound and balance. Any official live albums (and some boots) that you may have heard would have been sourced from the soundboard.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: May 5, 2005 22:11

Thanks Chris,

one other thing then,

Presumably anyone working on the mixing desk must be from the band's tour party, so how would a soundboard bootleg get out without the band knowing about it? I mean I don't imagine that any band would be too happy about one of their staff making recordings for bootlegs.

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 5, 2005 22:14

How indeed. The recording could be obtained in any number of ways but as I have never been privy to access to these things I could only speculate. One guesses that money changes hands!

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: May 5, 2005 22:35

I believe that sometimes sound is piped into sky boxes at arena / stadium shows.
The quality here will be sounboard if the recording is made via cables linked into the system.

To sum up....Anything not recorded via a mike will likely be soundboard quality.

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: May 6, 2005 01:22

the allman brothers have been doing "instant live" for sometime now as have other bands... and in the beacon (nyc) and at oakdale (in ct) they have had mikes set up center stage left and rite about 12-14 rows from the stage...they are clearly marked for "instant live" recordings.

i "assume" they are also fed thru soundboard and mixed...having gotten these discs at the concert i can assure you the sound is incredible as both are great venues for sound.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 6, 2005 01:27

I remember a Keith interview where he was laughing about Ian Stewart and how he making a bit of cash on the side by selling soundboard recordings of Stones shows.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 6, 2005 01:31

I've heard that rumour about Stu too.

Posted by: mark ()
Date: May 6, 2005 01:46

I talked to a fellow that would apply for a hearing aid piped in from the sound board. With a small set of tools he stripped wires and hooked it to a cassette player.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1506
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home