Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

creamed....
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 5, 2005 17:16

Did anyone make it to the Cream re-union gigs? Some top reviews coming in

[www.rollingstone.com]

I wonder if anything will be released?....

Re: creamed....
Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: May 5, 2005 17:27

I saw a clip of them on TV doing "I'm So Glad.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Date: May 5, 2005 17:31

Any good?

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: May 6, 2005 15:26

Yeah i was lucky enough to get tickets, I just saw them last night (thursday).

It was amazing, really good musicianship from all three of them. Ginger did his 'toad' drum solo near the end, amazing for a 65 year old with arthritis, jack bruce played and sang amazingly well and clapton was great, some inspired solos, a far cry from the bland autopilot stuff he has a tendancy to churn out on his own. It was strange to look on stage and see CREAM, and that clapton is just one part of the trio.

I dont know the whole setlist, but some of what they played, in rough order:

I'm so glad
Spoonful
-a couple of obscure tracks i didnt know -
n.s.u
born under a bad sign
politician
sweet wine
badge
sitting on top of the world
rollin and tumblin
tales of brave ulysees
-another song didnt know!-
swlabr
we're going wrong
white room
crossroads
toad

encore - sunshine of your love

badge was particularly good, love the guitar part where it stops, thr crowd were really cheering as eric teased and made us wait...

Just a thrilling experience to be at this sort of special gig, where you feel you are witnessing history.
Great great evening!

P.S. A 2-dvd set of these reunion concers is DEFINITELY being released after the summer, it says so in the program. Their were loads of video cameras at the show.

Date: May 6, 2005 15:35

Superb, thanks for the info...sounded a great night...

Date: May 6, 2005 15:49

Official website

[www.cream2005.com]

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 6, 2005 17:31

Just for the record, the show did not receive good reviews by the press here (Corriere della Sera). Same as ususal: first Cream were great, how sad they split. Then: Reunion is a nostalgia act, they are all too old, the magic is lost ...

You NEVER get what you want!

C

Date: May 6, 2005 17:35

Do you get the feeling these journo's don't actualy attend the gigs....or stay in bar?

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 6, 2005 18:31

Guess we'll see for ourselves when the DVD comes out - can't wait!!

For a encore they should bring Mick Taylor out and play: Smiles & Grins
from his Jack Bruce Group days!! Taylor's solo at the end of that song is
one of my all time faves!!!! MLC

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 6, 2005 18:48

From what I read in various reviews it seems that the songs were very rehearsed and the band really did not have much room to improvise. Very short 4 minute versions of songs they usually jammed out on. I Look forward to seeing the DVD or hearing a good recording of the show.

Date: May 6, 2005 18:48

MLC, get out more....its a big wide world......

Date: May 6, 2005 18:58

Ablett -I get out alot - that's why I know so much about music!!! MLC

Date: May 6, 2005 19:01

I am convinced that MLC comes here for these reasons.

- To brag about how much he knows about music
- To talk about how much the Stones suck today
- Mick Taylor
- Or just to start arguments with others

To each his own I guess.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 6, 2005 20:08

"Do you get the feeling these journo's don't actualy attend the gigs....or stay in bar?"

Don't need to have that feeling, I KNOW IT FOR SURE!

C

Date: May 6, 2005 21:12

Hey H- Dog - I learn stuff just like I sometimes "enlighten" others on this board
I only say the "current" Stones suck when they do - AGAIN I liked some of what
I heard from last years tour (Boston)

And I'm not hear at argue!! but when I see someones opinion I don't agree with,
I'll respond. I think that'sd what this board is about, not blindly worshiping
the current cast just because they are the "STONES". they get my respect when
they "EARN IT" !!!! MLC

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 6, 2005 21:23

Saw them on the opening night - Monday 2nd May. Fantastic, and agree with the commernt somewhere above that they appear to have been very well rehearsed and as a consequence perhaps not quite as improvisational as we remember them to have been from 67/68. Still, what the hell - 37 years offers a lot of opportunity for honing their skills, and boy did it show? Glad I made the effort to get tix, it was a show well worth seeing, especially if you never saw them first time arounmd. I was just a little bit too young, 13 years old in 1968.

Date: May 6, 2005 22:42

paulywaul,
Very cool that you got to see them. I love Cream and hope they come to the US to do a few shows so I could catch them. Its not practical to expect Cream to be what they were in the late 60's but I am sure it was a thrill to see them.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 7, 2005 06:58

Just like the Stones, they probably aren't what they used to be, but it's an historical event nevertheless.
And to witness the Stones ...regardless of all complaints...I can't wait to see the Stones making rock and roll history once again.
It's out of control!

The opportunity to see Cream is to be a witness to history, I hope they come to the US as well.
One of my earliest inspirations was listening to Cream as young kid, especially Claptons virtusos lead guitar.
He was like a magical wizard of electric guitar...or a perhaps a "God"...him and Hendrix were the very best during that period.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 7, 2005 12:11

To Hound dog,

Well you "might" possibly get your wish to see them in the States granted, and the reason I say this is because of a conversation that I and the friend I went to the show with had with a 61 year old English guy who had flown over from San Francisco (where he now lived) for the opening night show. I can't recall precisely whether he had said that over 40 years ago he used to actually play with Jack Bruce, or whether he was somehow involved with him on another level, but he did have some kind of connection with JB that went back an awful long way and he generally seemed to speak with a pretty knowledgeable and authoritative tome. We were asking him what HE thought of the the possibility that these 4 shows might act as a bit of a catalyst for Cream to consider doing yet more shows, which no doubt would almost certainly include some in the States. His honest opinion was that IF these 4 shows were going to be well received (bear in mind we were having this conversation about half an hour after the show ended and so nothing at that time had as yet gone to press), he thought it was quite probable. We were all fortunate to have had very good seats, not sure where this guy we were talking to was sat exactly, but my friend and I were about 15 feet from where Jack Bruce spent most of the evening on stage; so VERY close. We were able to see ALL their little nods and winks and smiles and facial expressions, and let me tell you, these were people who were (a) seriously relaxed and (b) seriously enjoying themselves.

I realise anything you, I (or a 61 year old guy that you meet in a bar after a show who in this instance has some kind of distant connection to one of the members of Cream) might have in the way of opinions about what these guys might do next is exactly that - an OPINION. But stranger things have happened, that opinions formed by events witnessed and vibes picked up have turned out on occasions to be reasonably correct. If your wish to see Cream perform again, be it in the States or anywhere else, then from my perspective - all I can tell you is that on the first night they played in UK in nigh on 37 years, Messers Clapton Bruce and Baker were received with nothing short of delirious joy by 99 percent of the audience, and additionally looked themselves to be very relaxed and happy to be where they were doing what they were. You never know !!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 7, 2005 13:17

Got to see Cream Tuesday and was blown away by them.Superb playing by all 3,especially Eric as I remember him from the 60's and not his usual off the peg 7 nights albert hall stuff.Great seats in the stalls and great,although mostly subdued atmosphere during the playing from the predominately over 40's or maybe even over 50's audience.Standing ovation before they even started and after a lot of the songs.Unexpectedly got gallery tickets for the Thursday show and although high up in the 'gods ' of albert hall,got a great view above the band and could see Eric and Jack sitting down on the side of stage enjoying Gingers great solo on Toad.Sunshine of your love was the encore again and a few minutes more improvisation than Tuesdayand that was the end to another great performance.I've read the reviews of the first 3 shows and it's a shame the setlist was the same each night,so there was no 'I feel free',Strange Brew'etc.that they might have included,but I haven't seen the last gig reviews yet!All in all,it was a highlight of all the gigs I have been to ,to see Cream live.Realy looking forward now to see the Stones rockin'Europe next year!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1245
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home