Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No more 3 venues stuff please
Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 4, 2005 17:47

Why don't the Stones go back to playing just stadiums.

During Licks, the Stadium shows were a total joke because they took all the good songs out and put them in the Arenas. That left the stadium shows with the least imaginative set list of any tour, ever! It's OK if you live in America, where arenas are the norm and stadium shows are rare, but not so good if you are european where they play mostly stadiums.

What's more, I could really fancy a spectacular show after the relatively simple licks tour. Lots of fire and lighting effects to dazzle the spectator - but no backup musicians. Also, I'd like lots of new songs - which means we have to have a good and popular album first, with lots of air play and loads of new fans coming to the fold.

Re: No more 3 venues stuff please
Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: May 4, 2005 18:06

yeah, too many backups, also, a balance between new album songs, and old song.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 4, 2005 18:10

In the U. S., stadium shows have been the norm since 1975, with arenas and theatres the exceptions (not counting No Security).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2005 18:10

sjs12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why don't the Stones go back to playing just
> stadiums.
>
> During Licks, the Stadium shows were a total joke
> because they took all the good songs out and put
> them in the Arenas. That left the stadium shows
> with the least imaginative set list of any tour,
> ever! It's OK if you live in America, where
> arenas are the norm and stadium shows are rare,
> but not so good if you are european where they
> play mostly stadiums.
>
>
Nonsense. they take fewer chances with the setlists on stadium shows on ANY tour.

Mick is shit scared of playing something like "Moonlight Mile" in a stadium and seeing 60,000 people staring back at him

The setlist gets more compromised and less imaginative the bigger the venue and thats been the case before the Licks tour

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 4, 2005 18:44

I agree with Gazza, in fact I don't think I will ever go see them in a stadium again because of the set lists and also the sound is never as good. At least in the large football stadiums here in the US. Fenway I would make an exception for however because it will be one of the smallest outdoors shows they will have done in a long time. I am just hoping they continue to mix up the sets lists and it would nice to lose the backing musicians but would be surprised if that happened. At least get rid of Blondie and some of the extra horn players.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 4, 2005 21:33

Yes, get rid of Blondie...at least take the damn guitar away from him!
He ruined it last tour with his accoustic campfire-girl-like rhythm playing.

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: May 4, 2005 22:34

I would really love to see a spectacular show as well, but I have my doubts this will happen. Since Bridges things became more stripped down and simple, especially for the Licks Tour and I just can't see them going for a Voodoo or SW kind stage again.
They rediscovered the more simple set up to put the focus on the music which is absolutely ok. However they sometimes lack in their musical performance and constancy so it wouldn't hurt them to put a thrilling effects here and there.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 5, 2005 03:56

The 3 venues were a great idea.Keep it.I loved the Astoria and Enmore gigs,but the Stadium shows were just as cool.One of my favourite all time Stones shows was Wet and wild in Sheffield,Don Valley stadium,back in 95.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 5, 2005 04:04

I was at that one too, stargroover

Christ what a foul night that was for a concert. They played their asses off, though

Date: May 5, 2005 04:31

Gazza,

For me that show sums up the Stones.Because of the torrential rain they could have taken a nose dive.Instead they took it up a gear.Amazing.

Posted by: Fansince1964 ()
Date: May 5, 2005 08:52

sjs12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why don't the Stones go back to playing just
> stadiums.
>
> During Licks, the Stadium shows were a total joke
> because they took all the good songs out and put
> them in the Arenas. That left the stadium shows
> with the least imaginative set list of any tour,
> ever! It's OK if you live in America, where
> arenas are the norm and stadium shows are rare,
> but not so good if you are european where they
> play mostly stadiums.
>
> What's more, I could really fancy a spectacular
> show after the relatively simple licks tour. Lots
> of fire and lighting effects to dazzle the
> spectator - but no backup musicians. Also, I'd
> like lots of new songs - which means we have to
> have a good and popular album first, with lots of
> air play and loads of new fans coming to the fold.

Well, dear friend!

If the Stones should do only stadiums, we would be presented with the old warhorses ( which isn't bad either ) and the so called more odd songs wouldn't be heard at all. I like the idea of the Licks tour. What I want them to do is a longer b-stage set where they could do some more accoustic songs like Sweet Wirginia, Sweet Black Angel and that sort of stuff. Saw that on one tour when they used a b-stage gliding out into the crowd of people and back again.
That was great!

HJofSweden

Posted by: padenis ()
Date: May 5, 2005 09:46

I think they should perform mostly in arenas.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 5, 2005 12:07

Hey Stargroover those are the Theater shows I saw also, Enmore and Astoria! I was luicky enough to be up front close at both, especailly at tha Astoria, in the standing crowd. Which did you prefer? I amy be ina a minority, but I preferred the Astoria. For me, at the Enmore, even though I was on the floor Keith side, his guitar just did not seem to cut through the rest of the sound.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 5, 2005 12:07

I think some of you are missing my point. The stadium tours on previous tours have had more obscure songs (even more obscure warhorses) than on Licks, where they suddenly took all songs other than the main warhorses out of the set.

This was never the case for previous stadium tours - for example:

Steel Wheels / Urban Jungle: Everyone got to see Ruby Tuesday / 2000 LYFH - never heard before obscurities at that time.

Voodoo Lounge: Nice acoustic set in the middle and everyone got some obscurities.

B2B: What about the B stage bit with Route 66 / LARS / Midnight Rambler etc?

So, if I'm given the choice out of 3 venues with excellent setlist in clubs, goos setlist in arenas and very poor setlist in stadiums, or just for a good setlist everywhere, I will choose the latter.

What pissed me off last time was that, despite seeing them 3 times, including once at an arena (I just can't afford to travel the world to see them - kids etc), I never once saw CYHMK or MR - the two songs I really wanted to hear more than anything.

Can anyone give me a good reason why Sway or MR or CYHMK wouldn't go down well in a stadium? Because that's what I want - a well paced exciting stadium set list with lots of new stuff and plenty of never played before back-catalogue stuff, in addition to the war horses. Something that satisfies everyone.

Date: May 5, 2005 21:43

hi kahoosier,

I preferred the Enmore gig,but only by a whisker.I Was on the balcony and it was great.Did you go to the the Glimmer meeting at the Sydney Hard Rock Cafe?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1475
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home