Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How about remixing all the classic Stones albums !!
Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 4, 2013 17:57

BJPortugal
When i heard that The Doors was going to release new mixes from the original reels.. i was a little bit skeptical, but, the skepticism runs away at the first listen. Now, i prefer the new mixes. thumbs up
It would be great that all the early Stones catalog(64-72) get the same treatment smileys with beer
personally i disagree..like i mentioned earlier, roadhouse blues seems to have lost all its balls on the remix..they are an interesting listen but no substitute for the
original mixes as far as my ears are concerned and i wouldn't classify myself as a purist in these matters. However the first lp does sound a heck of a lot better at the right speed. quite frankly i'm amazed no-one seems to have picked up on that before...it always sounded wrong to me and certainly did Morrisons vocals no favours.
I'd like to see a vault catalogue for the stones 60s output...i wonder how much does survive in terms of multitracks given the number that have been auctioned or found in skips.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 4, 2013 18:26

Spud
I wouldn't argue with that .

But as you hinted, more out of interest than any belief that they would sound better

Yeah, I'm not really picky with the sound in the end. These records have their own identity and history. A lot of people here sound like their lives would improve if they could have the Stones back catalogue in 10% sharper sound quality. Myself, I'm much more interested in new releases like the Archive series. I want more of those great bootlegs officialized with top notch sound quality.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: October 4, 2013 18:30

ash
BJPortugal
When i heard that The Doors was going to release new mixes from the original reels.. i was a little bit skeptical, but, the skepticism runs away at the first listen. Now, i prefer the new mixes. thumbs up
It would be great that all the early Stones catalog(64-72) get the same treatment smileys with beer
personally i disagree..like i mentioned earlier, roadhouse blues seems to have lost all its balls on the remix..they are an interesting listen but no substitute for the
original mixes as far as my ears are concerned and i wouldn't classify myself as a purist in these matters. However the first lp does sound a heck of a lot better at the right speed. quite frankly i'm amazed no-one seems to have picked up on that before...it always sounded wrong to me and certainly did Morrisons vocals no favours.
I'd like to see a vault catalogue for the stones 60s output...i wonder how much does survive in terms of multitracks given the number that have been auctioned or found in skips.

Well, i kinda agree on you on Roadhouse Blues. Yet, imo, it is a exception.
The debut album ,as you say, sound a lot of hock better in correct speed. The version of The End is the same of Apocalipse Now.. when Jim uses the "f-word". Great.
In Strange Days, which is my favorite Doors record, we have great new mixes..I have the Perception Box Set and we in put the 5.1 surround sound, it takes to another dimension songs like Strange Days, Unhappy Girl or Love me two times.
In the third record, Waiting for the Sun, the are some great adds... Five to One remains great, and there's a improvement with the "new sounds" on Summers Almost Gone or Love Street.
On The Soft Parade, the strings and horns songs rises. Wishful Sinful or Tell All The People are simply great. The final song, The Soft Parade with the new spoken words at the beginning of the track is great too.
Morrison Hotel is maybe the less efficient one. As you say, Roadhouse Blues lost all the balls on the remix.Nevertheless, Waiting for the sun and Ship of Fools are great.
At last, LA Woman is maybe the best remixed album. LA Woman, Love Her Madly and Riders on the storm are truly great.

I would like to see the 60's Rolling Stones vault too smileys with beer We have already a glimpse of that on the Satanic Majesties-box set- record process. Imagine a thing like that in Aftermath or Beggars? smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 4, 2013 19:34

ash
...they are an interesting listen but no substitute for the
original mixes...

thumbs up

A good example is the In The Court of the Crimson King remix. Clearer, but wonky due to modern reverb etc in parts, a cluster @#$%& in others and most importantly some overdubs are missing. Also, it's made what is quite a unique sounding album sound closer to a bunch of guys recording in a studio. The remix has robbed the album of some of it's unique sound and some key goose bump moments due to shite remixing and missing notes.

Waste of time... thank @#$%& the original mix is part of the various 40th anniversary releases.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-04 19:58 by His Majesty.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 4, 2013 20:00

sometimes i think that it´s not necessary to hear every bit crisp and clean

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 4, 2013 20:06

bluesinc.
sometimes i think that it´s not necessary to hear every bit crisp and clean

Indeed.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 4, 2013 20:36

Sometimes, though, I enjoy remixes. Like the Deep Purple reissues of their '70s albums which usually carry a bunch or remixes. They're no real substitute for the originals, but I like to listen to the new mix of Machine Head or Come Taste The Band because it is clearer, punchier and includes all the "jamming" they did where they faded the songs out. However, it only works because the mixes are well done (not too modern sounding) and the songs weren't really about studio experimentation or creativeness at the mixing desk in the first place.

Hearing a "modern" mix of Exile On Main Street would almost ruin the album, I think.

Posted by: varv ()
Date: October 4, 2013 21:30

Release the mono and stereo Stones albums,both US and UK versions,exactly as they were mixed for their original release. Only then would I be up for buying remixes.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home