Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Nirvana - "Live & Loud"
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 24, 2013 19:10

NoCode0680
is there a single song that was written without Kurt? He wrote most of it himself, and there are a couple where the other guys are credited, but did anybody else write a song? I can't think of any.
Marigold, b-side to Heart Shaped Box, written by Dave Grohl.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 24, 2013 19:18

GumbootCloggeroo
NoCode0680
is there a single song that was written without Kurt? He wrote most of it himself, and there are a couple where the other guys are credited, but did anybody else write a song? I can't think of any.

Ah, well I don't listen to that one much (it's not bad but not really up my alley) so I don't feel bad for forgetting that one. Seems like I vaguely remember Krist writing one by himself, but maybe I'm thinking of one that he mainly wrote but Kurt is credited for some lyrics or guitar.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 24, 2013 20:08

I am really looking forward to getting this. Nirvana was all I listened to back in 1994-5 or so. I don't listen to it much now, but whenever there is a new DVD, I always buy it and I am always surprised how truly great they were.

My favourite release so far is Paramount, but I am really looking forward to this one, I remember how excited I was, watching it on MTV ín 1994. I have never seen the full set of course, I am particulary looking forwart to hearing The Man Who Sold The World, which was my absolute favourite off the Unplugged album back in the day. I learned in on my accoustic guitar and played it over and over... My parents hated Nirvana :-)

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 24, 2013 21:52

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 25, 2013 06:01

seitan
toomuchforme
deluxe
spotify:album:[open.spotify.com]

interesting interview of band members in rock & folk this month.
Cobain was a prick with money and behaviour with others.Just a great composer.
He kept 90% of royalties.

He wrote more than 90 % of the music - so he deserves 90 % of the royalties, and if that makes him a prick - then what does that make of Jagger and Richards for taking more 90% of the royalties and not even giving the credit where it's due ..for songwriting to people like Wood or Taylor when they write something..?

Not to mention, I don't even think that's true ... I've read several Nirvana books and even one on Grohl and I'm pretty sure they split the royalties fairly -- and many of the songs are co-written, or written by all 3 members, so I'm pretty sure he made this up about the 90%.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 25, 2013 08:44

In yet another thread, someone thinks that the main songwriter in a band (and what is a band without great songs?) has "ripped off" the other band members because he made more money than they did. You write the songs, you get the publishing money. It's that simple. There is nothing selfish or evil about it.

Date: September 25, 2013 09:47

71Tele
In yet another thread, someone thinks that the main songwriter in a band (and what is a band without great songs?) has "ripped off" the other band members because he made more money than they did. You write the songs, you get the publishing money. It's that simple. There is nothing selfish or evil about it.

i know someone who knew levon helm. he told me levon wanted credit for some of the bands songs just because he told robbie some stories about life growing up in the south and robbie used some of these stories for inspiration for songs. get real. you think you get a writing credit because someone incoporated a story you told them about your life into a song

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 25, 2013 11:50

Live & Loud is outstanding. I tortured the neighbors with it last night. MTV only aired half the set. Having been at the show, the dvd brought back a lot of memories. Have to admit got a little misty during "All Apologies". The extras are good too, particularily the stuff from French TV. Kurt's not looking too good on the Italian TV song & the 3 songs from the final concert in Munich made me sad. Haven't played the remaster "In Utero" yet. Today. Looking back, the argument can be made that they were the last really great rock band. The dynamics changed after Kurt died in a lot of ways for a lot of reasons. For me, Nirvana's stuff is well on the way to becoming timeless. 20 years later, the songs still sound fresh. RIP, Kurt.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 25, 2013 23:28

" Forgotten Tune" - previously unreleased instrumental from the In Utero sessions.

IN UTERO NIRVANA 20TH ANNIVERSARY BOX SET

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: September 26, 2013 01:28

GumbootCloggeroo
NoCode0680

With Dave on guitar and Kurt on drums smileys with beer

Date: September 26, 2013 02:02

keefriffhard4life
71Tele

i know someone who knew levon helm. he told me levon wanted credit for some of the bands songs just because he told robbie some stories about life growing up in the south and robbie used some of these stories for inspiration for songs. get real. you think you get a writing credit because someone incoporated a story you told them about your life into a song

That's actually how some of these pop acts (maybe others, only seen it for sure in pop) "write" songs. If you actually had the displeasure of seeing that show about Jessica Simpson's little sister Ashlee (my old lady at the time watched the first episode, then discontinued) they showed an example of her "writing". Basically she sat down with a professional songwriter and she would describe how she was feeling, or something that made her angry, and the guy would write a song. She would make some notes "more punky!!" and the like, but basically she just watched this guy write a song based on some crap she rambled about. And looking at the album on Wikipedia, she's credited first on every song as writer.

While certainly there are some good ideas that might possibly warrant songwriting credit (coming up with a good story or something that a song will be about), but she was just complaining about a roommate or some shit, and the guy would basically write some cookie cutter song about teenage angst.

Date: September 26, 2013 02:42

NoCode0680
keefriffhard4life
71Tele

That's actually how some of these pop acts (maybe others, only seen it for sure in pop) "write" songs. If you actually had the displeasure of seeing that show about Jessica Simpson's little sister Ashlee (my old lady at the time watched the first episode, then discontinued) they showed an example of her "writing". Basically she sat down with a professional songwriter and she would describe how she was feeling, or something that made her angry, and the guy would write a song. She would make some notes "more punky!!" and the like, but basically she just watched this guy write a song based on some crap she rambled about. And looking at the album on Wikipedia, she's credited first on every song as writer.

While certainly there are some good ideas that might possibly warrant songwriting credit (coming up with a good story or something that a song will be about), but she was just complaining about a roommate or some shit, and the guy would basically write some cookie cutter song about teenage angst.

levon did other things to on certain songs like changes some lines or what not really telling someone a story doesn't warrant a writing credit.

Date: September 26, 2013 02:45

keefriffhard4life
NoCode0680
keefriffhard4life
71Tele

levon did other things to on certain songs like changes some lines or what not really telling someone a story doesn't warrant a writing credit.

Agree. Unless it was an original story he made up, but it sounds like he was just relating events, not something he dreamed up.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 1, 2013 22:17

Thorough & well put review of In Utero 20th anniversary edition : [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home