Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: The Beatles releasing new compilation of BBC performances November 11th
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 14, 2013 05:27

Christopher
I wish Pink Floyd would release their BBC sessions. There is a Dark Side version complete from before the album was released.

As fond as they are of re-issuing their albums and putting out compilations (not as much as the Stones of course, but following their lead) I'm surprised they don't do many archive releases like that. The only real new (to us) thing they've released since "Pulse" was "Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980–81", 13 years ago.

I know they've put some live material and outtakes on the most recent re-issues, but I'm just talking standard releases here, because not many casual fans probably bought those Immersion boxes. I consider myself more than a casual fan, but I wasn't fan enough to buy any of those. I did buy the remaster of "Animals", my favorite album of theirs, sadly it didn't get any special treatment besides a remastering. There's a market for that stuff, and it's not like Pink Floyd or whoever is in charge of all the re-issues and greatest hits packages are above making money. Don't know why they don't do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-14 05:28 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 14, 2013 05:35

His Majesty
The first session musician contribution, aside from Andy White, was the tenor and alto flute by Johnnie Scott on You've Got To Hide Your Love Away from Help.

Overdubbed in February 1965 sometime after 14th, Yesterday was recorded in June.

How I wish such detailed information was so readily available for stones sessions!

True. RCA Hollywood and the various unions involved must have session logs. There's a Monkees Day-by-day book similar to Lewisohn's tomes. Most of those were done at RCA and it has the logs for for producer engineer, etc. Be interesting to know if the Stones recorded there in blocks, time-wise; 12 to 5, then 7-midnight, union rules being what they are.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 14, 2013 06:54

Info like that for just the sessions at RCA would be amazing! smiling bouncing smiley

Date: September 14, 2013 07:00

His Majesty
Info like that for just the sessions at RCA would be amazing! smiling bouncing smiley

Maybe that's your calling, HM. The Beatles have Lewishon, the Monkees have Andrew Sandoval, and Clinton Heylin did a Dylan recording sessions book. Somebody did one for the Byrds, too, which I haven't got yet. You can do one on the Stones' RCA sessions.
Just send me a check for 51%.

Date: September 14, 2013 07:41

I have this book somewhere...

I found it at a used books/records store back when I was 15. I don't know how accurate it is or anything, and I haven't read it since I was 15. It didn't just list the sessions, it had a lot of stories about what went on. I don't know how accurate those were either. One story said John was feeling bad and so somebody took him up to the roof to get some fresh air and left him. Then somebody else (like I said, a long time since I read it) came in the studio asking where John was, they told him John was on the roof getting some fresh air. He then informs everybody that John is having a bad acid trip and they all freak out and run upstairs just to find him up there goofing off. Bullshit or real?

Date: September 14, 2013 07:53

NoCode0680
I have this book somewhere...

I found it at a used books/records store back when I was 15. I don't know how accurate it is or anything, and I haven't read it since I was 15. It didn't just list the sessions, it had a lot of stories about what went on. I don't know how accurate those were either. One story said John was feeling bad and so somebody took him up to the roof to get some fresh air and left him. Then somebody else (like I said, a long time since I read it) came in the studio asking where John was, they told him John was on the roof getting some fresh air. He then informs everybody that John is having a bad acid trip and they all freak out and run upstairs just to find him up there goofing off. Bullshit or real?

That's true. George Martin's even confirmed it on many occasion. Macca says in the Many Years From Now book that he took John back to his house that night (Paul's house) and Paul had his first acid trip later that evening.

Date: September 14, 2013 07:57

Ah, interesting. I really need to read an actual book about them. That book isn't much of a "read", and was very repetitive with the logs. It was more of a reference tool type of thing, but I read it front to back.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 14, 2013 10:10

NoCode0680
One story said John was feeling bad and so somebody took him up to the roof to get some fresh air and left him. Then somebody else (like I said, a long time since I read it) came in the studio asking where John was, they told him John was on the roof getting some fresh air. He then informs everybody that John is having a bad acid trip and they all freak out and run upstairs just to find him up there goofing off. Bullshit or real?

Producer George Martin confirms the story in Anthology, which is intermixed with a later interview with John.

John thought took a pill that he thought was speed, but turned turned out to be acid. He started feeling "very funny on the mic" then got scared, and it was George Martin who took him atop the building for a break.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 14, 2013 10:25

I read that comment of Paul's that his first LSD trip was with John. But I think he's rewriting history, and that his claim elsewhere that his first trip was with Tara Browne is the accurate story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-14 10:26 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 14, 2013 13:20

The first Beatles book to read, is the Anthology BOOK. The story in their own words. Afterwards, there is plenty biographies, good and bad.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 14, 2013 13:26

stonehearted
NoCode0680
One story said John was feeling bad and so somebody took him up to the roof to get some fresh air and left him. Then somebody else (like I said, a long time since I read it) came in the studio asking where John was, they told him John was on the roof getting some fresh air. He then informs everybody that John is having a bad acid trip and they all freak out and run upstairs just to find him up there goofing off. Bullshit or real?

Producer George Martin confirms the story in Anthology, which is intermixed with a later interview with John.

John thought took a pill that he thought was speed, but turned turned out to be acid. He started feeling "very funny on the mic" then got scared, and it was George Martin who took him atop the building for a break.

John and drugs... Just check what Keith wrote on that matter in Life.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 14, 2013 13:29

tomk
His Majesty

Maybe that's your calling, HM. The Beatles have Lewishon, the Monkees have Andrew Sandoval, and Clinton Heylin did a Dylan recording sessions book. Somebody did one for the Byrds, too, which I haven't got yet. You can do one on the Stones' RCA sessions.
Just send me a check for 51%.

grinning smiley

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 14, 2013 18:53

NoCode0680

I've never been disappointed with any BBC release. Beatles, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Joy Division, Bowie, etc, etc.

One of these things is not like the other...

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: September 14, 2013 23:59

Title5Take1
I read that comment of Paul's that his first LSD trip was with John. But I think he's rewriting history, and that his claim elsewhere that his first trip was with Tara Browne is the accurate story.

I just rechecked the book, and you are correct. His second trip was with John on the that evening.

Date: September 15, 2013 02:01

Christopher
I wish Pink Floyd would release their BBC sessions. There is a Dark Side version complete from before the album was released.

There are a couple of BBC shows from 1970 and 1971 as well, recorded in excellent quality.

The BBC show of Dark Side from 1974 is available through Amazon, but of course it's a bootleg.

Available at: [www.amazon.co.uk]

There are some clips on YouTube as well--except for The Great Gig In The Sky, which for some reason is blocked on copyright grounds.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 15, 2013 04:19

The BBC version of Echos is incredible. Stunning.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 15, 2013 12:03

could we stay on topic and talk about this "new" beatles tuff, tracklist, etc...

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 15, 2013 13:15

the big thing about them beatles is/was that they don´t have big stuff in their vaults, they´ve released the most songs at the time, and we had the anthology series without that many new songs... ok, some historic but...
they should have done the sessions lp in the 80ies, it adds all up from the anthology albums...
i´d vote for this:

the decca sessions as a rerelease or
the yellow submarine ep, planned for relase in 69
carnival of light
the glyn johns get back album
and maybe a double lp of the get back sessions (because of the many songs they did)
but that´s it, i would say

did they record more in the nineties or just the two...(unreleased for sure...)

Date: September 15, 2013 23:35

For the Anthology project, they did start work on a third unreleased Lennon demo from 1978 titled Now And Then in March 1995. They only spent a day or so recording a rough backing track, but according to McCartney "George didn't want to do it" The demo still required verses to be written.

There have been numerous speculations over the years that the track would be eventually released with Paul entering the studio with completed verses and a new drum track by Ringo along with archival guitar parts by Harrison. Producer Jeff Lynne stated in 2012 that Paul was still keen on re-entering the studio to complete the track.

There is a popular "fan mix" of a "completed" version of Now And Then, but the actual 1995 recording by The Beatles themselves remains unreleased, even in bootleg form.

The Lennon demo

There are various versions of the "remastered" track, speculating on what it might sound like if completed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-15 23:36 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 16, 2013 01:00

THE AUSTRALIAN ............................... 16 September 2013

ROCKMAN

Date: September 22, 2013 22:45

Silver Dagger
Same release date as Sweet Summer Sun. Almost as if it were planned!

To believe otherwise would be naive.

They (and their fans) have been "countering" the Stones for the last year all through the Stones 50th anniversary year.

I even saw a publication (magazine) about them last year that used the '50 and Counting theme. Right on the cover! Fifty years of Ringo with the band.

Rolling Stone magazine just issued the Beatles 100 greatest songs on the heels of the release of the Stones top one hundred. On the back it says: The Greatest Songs From The Greatest Band Of All Time. It's not just Stones Inc. vs Beatles Inc.!

Anyone that thinks there isn't a marketing (and fans) war going on between the Stones and the Beatles for the mythical title of Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band Of All Time is just plain damn naive.

No worry though, the Stones sealed the deal at Glastonbury.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2427
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home