Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: where would u rate being a benefit for mr. kite
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 19, 2013 17:37

tomk
In Barry Miles' book on McCartney, Paul says that Mr. Kite was written together (and that book came out almost 15 years ago).

I may be inclined to agree with you on that: Paul is quite helpful with John on the Anthology versions of Mr Kite, which could suggest that he had a hand in writing it.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: August 19, 2013 19:44

I don't think he needs to lie... Everyone knows they wrote some songs together, this must be one of them.... Beatles' history is all mucked-up because "Lennon Remembers" gives a distorted, bitter view... Oh, Mr. Kite??? Gets better and better as the years pass.. Nothing ever sounded like that before or since, crystal clear an outrageous organ tone, "a splendid time.."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-19 19:48 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 12, 2013 17:16

Interesting!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 12, 2013 17:25

Nice...especially the old printing methods

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 12, 2013 18:15

2 1 2 0

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 12, 2013 21:17

carlorossi
But I remember a Lou Reed interview from 1989, where he really disses it. He and the interviewer were talking about the Sgt. Pepper album, and Lou just thinks Revolver is better, and says, "I mean, Mr. Kite? What the f*&k is that?"

A lot of people make the same comment about "Metal Machine Music."

Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 12, 2013 21:21

Not one of their best songs but as is frequently the case, the treatment they give it makes it a lot better than it really is so to speak. the whirly cut-up is great and maccas bassline is outstanding. the overall vibe is trippy and it does sound like circus music. The Beatles were very good at making weak songs infectious and seemingly better than they really were. This is largely down to the strength of their vocals and the quality control exercised by George Martin. There is no beatle song with backing vocals as shit as Tell Me (you're coming back to me) for example.
I still think that Pepper is not one of their better albums but the timing of it's release was all important. The engineering and production is extremely good and the album extends beyond it's music to the sleeve,inner sleeve,gatefold,lyrics on cover which all became de rigeur until album art died with the invention of cds.
Still, not a patch on Revolver but then not many albums are.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 12, 2013 21:27

dont know what you are talking about.

Jeroen

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 13, 2013 06:56

MILKYWAY
carlorossi
But I remember a Lou Reed interview from 1989, where he really disses it. He and the interviewer were talking about the Sgt. Pepper album, and Lou just thinks Revolver is better, and says, "I mean, Mr. Kite? What the f*&k is that?"

A lot of people make the same comment about "Metal Machine Music."

yeah, they're the same people that refuse to get strung out on heroin. they have no sense of commitment to the craft.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 13, 2013 20:24

treaclefingers

yeah, they're the same people that refuse to get strung out on heroin. they have no sense of commitment to the craft.

Shooting the Kool-Aid, so to speak?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 14, 2013 05:06

Its ok. Never really loved it, but its certainly creative. It would be in my bottom 3 from the album. Still a pure Beatles song, so that give it something.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 15, 2013 06:45

One of the lesser songs on a great album. Both Rubber Soul and Revolver are better records. Sgt. Pepper is a triumph of sequencing. As noted by others, some of the songs are not all that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-15 12:33 by ab.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 15, 2013 08:13

Come On

Correction:

1-31

2 1 2 0

Date: October 15, 2013 09:51

When I hear some of these songs on their own, Lovely Rita, Good Morning, Good Morning, When I'm 64, Mr. Kite, She's Leaving Home...I think that the album is overrated.

The songs work fine together, but it's not like I'm ever dying to hear Lovely Rita, When I'm 64 or Mr. Kite.

If I'm being honest the only songs on the album that really matter are a Day in the Life and Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.

I kind of also like the Within and Without You by Harrison. Fixing a Hole isn't bad, but again, better in the context of the album.

Not to shoot down the Beatles, but I prefer their other albums (and the white album not being one of them).

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: October 15, 2013 10:14

treaclefingers
When I hear some of these songs on their own, Lovely Rita, Good Morning, Good Morning, When I'm 64, Mr. Kite, She's Leaving Home...I think that the album is overrated.

The songs work fine together, but it's not like I'm ever dying to hear Lovely Rita, When I'm 64 or Mr. Kite.

If I'm being honest the only songs on the album that really matter are a Day in the Life and Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.

I kind of also like the Within and Without You by Harrison. Fixing a Hole isn't bad, but again, better in the context of the album.

Not to shoot down the Beatles, but I prefer their other albums (and the white album not being one of them).

Totally agree that the album is overrated. When you listen to it today. And when you listened to it ten years ago. With just three Lennon-songs it's more of Macca's album with some light weight songs. It was some kind of a breakpoint. Until then Lennon had wrote most of the songs.

But when SP was new the album actually was something new and different. It really was like the music world went from black and white to technicolour. In that point of view it was a very important album.

Date: October 15, 2013 16:27

Thommie
treaclefingers

Totally agree that the album is overrated. When you listen to it today. And when you listened to it ten years ago. With just three Lennon-songs it's more of Macca's album with some light weight songs. It was some kind of a breakpoint. Until then Lennon had wrote most of the songs.

But when SP was new the album actually was something new and different. It really was like the music world went from black and white to technicolour. In that point of view it was a very important album.
Yes, I agree with that notion.

It's funny though the whole in this case is greater than the sum of it's parts. The songs individually aren't the best, but when taken as a whole, with the packaging, beatles reinventing themselves as another band, songs all melded together I can imagine the shock when it was released. It must have been quite a leap forward.

I don't dislike the album by any stretch, I just don't think it holds up as well as some of the other albums. Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home