Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Those two chords.
Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 9, 2013 12:50

triceratops
GravityBoy
It sounds like C followed by C# to me.

What did he do again?

It also sounds like some kind of autotune was on but off.

Keith wouldn't use that would he?

Damn, that must be God punishing Keith and Mick for not attending Brian's funeral, having Wood aboard for 38 years already and Taylor only giving 2 songs!! Ironically the opening lick after 44 years + 1 day. A lovely "jazzy" fvck up, I have to give Keith that one! grinning smiley

Posted by: Jaggeresque ()
Date: July 9, 2013 13:04

Okay this is exactly what happened...

He didn't start at the wrong fret. The first chord was spot on but then he does a 'hammer on' where he places his two fingers on the B and D strings. But instead of this (and whether the scarf was blocking his view or not we don't know for sure) he put them on the G and A (G in the open G tuning) strings instead - same shape but wrong position.

Any guitarist with an open G tuned guitar can give it a try. I tried it and replicated what he did. I wasn't wearing a scarf at the time mind you...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 9, 2013 13:33

triceratops
crumbling_mice
I'm not convinced it was a @#$%& up...maybe Keith just thought he would try something a little different confused smiley

I agree and like it. Some here say he was messing with Jagger. The chords sound a bit like in "Spend The Night Together" which was playing on the PA just before Keef& Company took the stage. Perhaps he was riffing (joking) off that

Honestly that's what I thought the second time he played it...it has to be a joke...but I don't think it.

Anyway, I'm going to tune my acoustic to Open G and play what jaggeresque just suggested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 13:34 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 9, 2013 13:38

Jaggeresque

He didn't start at the wrong fret. The first chord was spot on but then he does a 'hammer on' where he places his two fingers on the B and D strings. But instead of this (and whether the scarf was blocking his view or not we don't know for sure) he put them on the G and A (G in the open G tuning) strings instead - same shape but wrong position.

Any guitarist with an open G tuned guitar can give it a try. I tried it and replicated what he did. I wasn't wearing a scarf at the time mind you...

A matter of practising. Watch this video from 00:34 and onwards. grinning smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 9, 2013 13:46

Instead of open G ... it was open H by mistake

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 14:48 by schillid.

Date: July 9, 2013 13:49

svt22
Jaggeresque

A matter of practising. Watch this video from 00:34 and onwards. grinning smiley

Ha ha! Brilliant. Clever bastard! No one loves a smart arse...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 9, 2013 14:15

gotdablouse
triceratops
crumbling_mice
I'm not convinced it was a @#$%& up...maybe Keith just thought he would try something a little different confused smiley

I agree and like it. Some here say he was messing with Jagger. The chords sound a bit like in "Spend The Night Together" which was playing on the PA just before Keef& Company took the stage. Perhaps he was riffing (joking) off that

Honestly that's what I thought the second time he played it...it has to be a joke...but I don't think it.

Anyway, I'm going to tune my acoustic to Open G and play what jaggeresque just suggested.

I just tried it on my 5-string, open G Telecaster.
to me it sounds like he's not even doing the hammer-on's but moving from C to C# .....twice.

he drew a blank on the first few chords. like you're at the traffic light, ready for a good start. it gets green you notice you're in 3rd gear. ooops.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 9, 2013 14:26

Jaggeresque

I don't think it's as simple as that.

His root note seems to be C# not D.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 9, 2013 14:27

I think what happened was his todger got caught in the fretboard.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 9, 2013 14:32

crumbling_mice
triceratops
crumbling_mice

Exactly. Keith has played that intro a thousand times and as a guitarist I can confirm it would be harder to get it wrong than right. It's a straight bar on the 5 strings with a two finger hammer on/off. I'm convinced it was intentional to give effect. I reckon if he had fluffed it he would have laughed as he usually does when he messes up. Possibly a nod to LSTNT or just an attempt to blues it up a little. Maybe he will tell us in an interview one day!

Me too. As I said Keith is beginning to embrace the jazz aethetic. Those chords are wonderfully discordant. It puts a little bit of voodoo jive into the mix and keeps the rest of the band on their toes and jolts them into life from phoning in their parts.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 9, 2013 14:46

Can I be bothered to join this much revisted/rehashed discussion ?

Evidently I can.

For whatever reason, Keith has always had a knack for landing on the wrong fret with intros.

You'd think he'd look at the fretboard and pay a bit more attention...but the old sod never does.

Simple as that.

[The guitar players amongst us will appreciate that landing on the right fret is usually quite instinctive.../but not so easy without looking when you play a number of different guitars with differing scale lengths and geometry ]

Date: July 9, 2013 14:47

"We're not about to do a freeform Jazz exploration in front of a festival crowd!" Spinal Tap.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 9, 2013 14:50

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 14:55 by tatters.

Date: July 9, 2013 14:55

Max'sKansasCity

First things first, are you wearing a scarf?

I always wear two shirts, a jacket, and a scarf when I play guitar outdoors in July. Doesn't everybody?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 14:57 by tatters.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 9, 2013 14:59

tatters
Max'sKansasCity

I always wear two shirts, a jacket, and a scarf when I play guitar outdoors in July. Doesn't everybody?

Well, not everybody, but anybody who is anybody, esp the cool guys.

And the really cool guys sometimes wear funny hats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 14:59 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 9, 2013 15:12

Perhaps a nod to the horrendous out of tune guitars from '69?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 9, 2013 15:20

Bastion
Perhaps a nod to the horrendous out of tune guitars from '69?

At least things have moved on a little from tuning up backstage with a harp and preying that the guitar stays in tune when you get out in the heat of the sun or lights.

[Been there, done that . Not much fun ]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 9, 2013 15:37

What a load of shit you guys are spewing.

Yes, there's nothing more musically brilliant and clever than a rapidly-aging, 69-year old man with a history of substance abuse and recent health problems playing one of the most famous riffs in rock history completely wrong in front of 60,000 people.

Yeah, that Keith...he's so clever, pretending he's going senile. He really had the crowd just where he wanted them after that.

Date: July 9, 2013 15:38

Max'sKansasCity
tatters
Max'sKansasCity

Well, not everybody, but anybody who is anybody, esp the cool guys.

And the really cool guys sometimes wear funny hats.

Date: July 9, 2013 15:44

NOBODY was/is cooler than Sly.... and I mean the REAL Sly, not today's imposter, no matter how many funny hats the imposter wears.

Date: July 9, 2013 15:52

Sly is now so cool, it's almost scary!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 9, 2013 16:12

This one is much scarier.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 9, 2013 16:31

GravityBoy
Keith and wrong chords is an old story as we all know.

JJF on LYL for a start.

Or Star, Star on LA Friday ...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 9, 2013 16:38

enough, it's over..

Date: July 9, 2013 16:55

latebloomer
This one is much scarier.

What's really scary are his recent attempts to perform live. Watching this, it's not hard to see why they had to find an impersonator.

Date: July 9, 2013 17:03

Just the other day, I swear, it was just the other, I was feeling kind of hot, and bothered, and sweaty, so I says to myself, "self, you needs a fan", "you needs a cool breeze blowin on you" and I meant me, of course, so I gots one, but when I wents to plug it in, damned if the outlets to the e lec tric it y was toooooo faarrrr away, so I could not plug it in, no ma'am, no sir, it would not reach, so I could not plugs in my fan, but then I thoughts about it for a while, and then it came to me, I needed two cords, a scarf and a funny hat. cool breeze.

Date: July 9, 2013 17:05

and let me tell you, there are some real bargains on
funny hats and scarves this time of year, so stock up.

Date: July 9, 2013 17:07

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 16:56 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 9, 2013 17:13

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home