Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

After Charlie, who?
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 1, 2005 23:38

There was this recent thread about Charlie. I have been listenign to a LOT of Faces lately. I am totally in awe of Ron Wood right now. And my new hero on Bass is Ronnie Lane. Why have I never really appreciated him before? For alittle friendly guy he is devastating down there in the basement. Now this is the way a man is supposed to play the Basso: loud, through a Tube Amp and with a damn pick! He almost is fuzzed out on stuff like Borstal Boys or Bad'n Ruin. And so now I wonder about Kenney Jones. I have never quite been convinced about him. And I still don't know quite what to say. He is not bluesy, not really a hard rocker either. But yet he solos well. And drumsoloes are about the most boring thing to come down the pike in rock'n roll. He overplays the Blues, he is too loiud in Country. He is not ahead of the beat ever; usually lags a bit behind the two Rons. His snare is not tight; doens't snap very well. His hihat rings too much and he might even play with a double kick. But he is somehow really really good, no? Not just because he was in a great band. He holds his own. What a weird musician...
Mac is another one. Ok so with the Stones he was impeccable. With the Faces...maybe this is all exactly what I love so much about them. They a rag tag bunch of rockers who just click. Mac's solo in "Ooh La La" (probably my favorite song ever in the history of mankind) on that Ragtime piano is actually terrible. Out of tune and out of time. And it's my fave solo.

Re: After Charlie, who?
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 2, 2005 10:27

I like Kenny Jones' drumming. Anyone who can replace Keith Moon can't be all that bad!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 2, 2005 13:22

Agree, except for bass to be played with a pick!

I find that bass players who use a pick tend to stay too much "on the beat", which is exactly what you need when you play AC DC kind of stuff, or you are in a trio like the Faces or the Police, but otherwise is a little boring.

I was listening to Voodoo the other day. Take Love is Strong, what ruins what could have been a good trak is that DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM that the bass plays. And I know that Darryl does not use a pick, but it was only to give the idea.

C

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 2, 2005 16:38

You know maybe a couple of years ago I would have tried to make a case for a different schoolo of bass. I'm just tired of all the slapping and Flea-shit. And the thing about DJ on LIS. To me the problem is that DJ is a lousy boring bassplyer. Wyman eats him for breakfast.
DJ should go back to play for people like Sting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home