Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: rolling stones-----TOO OLD
Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: March 28, 2005 06:32

Age is irrelavent when it comes to music, IMO.
Age is never mentioned when The Two, I mean The Who wanna tour, or Aerosmith, Springsteen, Metallica, U2, The Eagles or that Old English lady, Paul McCartney. They all wish they were the Stones and they all know and respect that the Stones have been in a league of their own for a long, long time.

Age always comes up with the Stones because they are still top of the heap. Reporters have cited age since 81 (Mick was 37) asking the band if they could sustain such a high energy show for 2 hours.

Age only comes into play with scheduling the shows....they need a few days between. Anybody who plays knows how it can wipe you out, and thats at our shitty little ant farm level where nobody really cares. Charlie may need an extra day for rest, Mick also. Keith's fingers are immersed into buckets of ice immediately after the show, and stay that way for 2 days to reduce the swelling and pain in his knuckles.......but the show goes on. 95 percent of the LICKS tour went great. Age is irrelavent. Desire is what counts and I know that Mick and Keith still have a great desire to take the stage. Its what they do.

Milo, NYC
It aint no capitol crime

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-28 06:36 by Milo Yammbag.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 28, 2005 14:54

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "They are not too old, but two of them have taking
> too much drugs and alcohol, and both have lost
> it." (Mathijs above)
>
> Hey; what have Keith lost? Did he miss the last
> rap wave; didnt shout that many "yo!" like his
> frontman during licks tour?
>

He lost the ability to play guitar, write decent songs, lead a band musically, concentrate on the music, and to be anything more than the myth he believes he is himself.

Yesterday we (flip the switch) played at a very nice Stones gathering, and before we took the stage they showed the India stop of the Licks Tour on DVD. I have never seen such a bad band in my entire live, it was unbelievable. There was one person credible, and that was Jagger. But the rest -including the ever-great Charlie Watts- was in terrible form. For half the songs I wondered whether Keith knew what key he should play in and what the name of the song is. Every solo he did was the same: a slur hear, a slur there, and all half out of key. It actually was really sad to see. The "band" was really horrible too, mainly due to Darryl Jones. I say it again: this guy s a way too black bassist to be in the Stones. He plays like all the great black bassists, and he is a technically advanced player, BUT IT DOESN'T FIT THE STONES! It doesn't swing, it doesn't gell, and his sound is horrible.

Anyway, again, I don't think the Stones are too old, but I think they 1) should have stopped when Bill left an 2)Keith's 40 year drugs and alcohol abuse is now taking its toll. About Wood: his roll on stage is now diminished to absolutely zero. It's nic when he's in a shape that he can play a solo or two, but when he can't no worries, he is not missed anyway, Jagger solved that problem years ago.

Mathijs

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 28, 2005 15:16

Mathijs: Everybody has an off-day. That DVD (Bangalore) is not so good I agree. I mean: I've seen better. But it's not THAT bad. The Stones have never been about swinging. It's always been about rocking our skulls like hell. Now I'm not saying that you're saying this, but sometimes it sounds a bit like you want them to be The Rythm Kings or something. Boring. Ronnie's solo on Don't Stop is the worst on it by the way. That's the ultimate "pose-instead-of-play" you'll see. On Darryll: It swings better with him than it ever did with Bill Wyman. The thing is that Darryll is a better bassist than Bill. The thing Bill had, was that he was inventive on his bass. And he swung very good with Charlie. But watch him now. Playing with The Rythm Kings. That's what I call BORING, BORING, BORING.........In case no one got that, I said it was BORING!!!!!
Back to the Bangalore DVD: Lisa Fischer is on top form on it. Check her howl on Gimme Shelter, which is a GREAT version. Midnight Rambler rocks too. Angie is good. Slipping Away is lovely. YCAGWYW is cool too. JJF is not bad either.
There's LOTS of shows from the latter part of the Licks Tour that rocks like hell. The British shows were good. The Spanish ones too.

When the new album comes out, and Keef has made some kick-ass songs, I'll be watching you eating your words. Have some faith man.
grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: March 28, 2005 17:26

Kent wrote:
"On Darryll: It swings better with him than it ever did with Bill Wyman. The thing is that Darryll is a better bassist than Bill. The thing Bill had, was that he was inventive on his bass"
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I couldn't disagree more, Kent. Check out the difference between When The Whip Comes Down on Handsome Girls vs. Four Flicks, and tell me again that Darryl is better than Bill. Maybe he's better technically, but Darryl's style doesn't fit the Stones, at least for my ears. He would fit Status Quo better than the Stones!. About the Rhythm Kings, I agree their songs could be boring, but for sure Bill knows how to groove playing the bass...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: March 28, 2005 18:11

I agree 100% with JKF... Have some faith!
Yes they are in their 60's, but that is what is so great about them. They are able to keep performing at a level that inspires us to flock to their shows and wait in eager anticipation for their next move. As Keith said in four flicks...this isn't something you retire from.

As to their so called declinig skills...SO WHAT!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 28, 2005 18:30

bruno Wrote:
> Kent wrote:
> "On Darryll: It swings better with him than it
> ever did with Bill Wyman. The thing is that
> Darryll is a better bassist than Bill. The thing
> Bill had, was that he was inventive on his bass"
> --------------------------------------------------
> ---------------
> I couldn't disagree more, Kent. Check out the
> difference between When The Whip Comes Down on
> Handsome Girls vs. Four Flicks, and tell me again
> that Darryl is better than Bill. Maybe he's better
> technically, but Darryl's style doesn't fit the
> Stones, at least for my ears. He would fit Status
> Quo better than the Stones!. About the Rhythm
> Kings, I agree their songs could be boring, but
> for sure Bill knows how to groove playing the
> bass...
>
> The IORRean formerly known as Cousin Lou
> (ThereĀ“ll be no wedding today...)

When the whip comes down on Handsome Girls is one Bill's finest moment's!!!!
He really makes the song fantastic!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 28, 2005 18:34

bruno Wrote:
>Maybe he's better technically.

That was what I meant. Sorry that I didn't point that out more strongly. My bad.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 28, 2005 20:09

Mathijs, you have made some very valid points regarding the state of the band, especially regading Keith. (He lost the ability to play guitar, write decent songs, lead a band musically, concentrate on the music, and to be anything more than the myth he believes he is himself.) but having said that, I would go on to say that there is still hope for revitalization if the band stop playing it safe and shake things up a bit. A good start would be to bring Ian Maclagan in to replace Chuck and pare down their back up musicians to force the band, especially Keith and Ron, to play their guitars more and stop posing!

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: March 28, 2005 20:14

Agree with ChrisM regarding the playing safe problem. But, is there any chance for us that the Stones would change his safe-style (which dates from 89, sixteen years ago!) to keep us poor fans happy?

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 28, 2005 20:31

of course they are too old , but they dont care cause every tour
they still get us to go see them and they still make the millions of $$$$$$$
so why should they stop, the stones are laughing all the way to the bank
with our money

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home