Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Keith's powerful solos....and deft use of silence
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 27, 2013 00:38

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
beachbreak

There's plenty of lead players i.e., Mayer, SRV, Kenny Wayne Shepherd that are great but sound very much alike.

You named two guys who have made a living copying SRV...they can't be lumped together...NOBODY sounded like SRV before SRV...shame on you

albert king sounded like srv before srv. he was trying to cash in on the pre-srv craze....

Simplified mathematics...If AK sounded like SRV before SRV then SRV wouldn't have dumbed it down to play alongside AK...I need some H2O now...

you need a slap in the face first.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 27, 2013 00:42

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
beachbreak

There's plenty of lead players i.e., Mayer, SRV, Kenny Wayne Shepherd that are great but sound very much alike.

You named two guys who have made a living copying SRV...they can't be lumped together...NOBODY sounded like SRV before SRV...shame on you

albert king sounded like srv before srv. he was trying to cash in on the pre-srv craze....

Simplified mathematics...If AK sounded like SRV before SRV then SRV wouldn't have dumbed it down to play alongside AK...I need some H2O now...

Did both.
Now a keystone and another Riviera Paradise plays...How would AK sound on that my good man?

Oh another thought...

...nah nevermind...SRV is close to GOD

Date: May 27, 2013 00:46

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
beachbreak

Did both.
Now a keystone and another Riviera Paradise plays...How would AK sound on that my good man?

Oh another thought...

kenny burrell can STILL wipe the floor with srv attempts at jazz...take that!

Date: May 27, 2013 00:47

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
beachbreak

Did both.

Oh another thought...

kenny burrell can STILL wipe the floor with srv attempts at jazz...take that!

It was Jazz fusion...no Jazz confusion...no Jazz Rock...no....dammit

Date: May 27, 2013 00:49

sorry for the outburst...i was an srv fan before he even had any...but albert is still the king and i will not tolerate dissent on this point on MY board!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 27, 2013 00:50

water board ....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 27, 2013 00:54

GRNRBITW
sorry for the outburst...i was an srv fan before he even had any...but albert is still the king and i will not tolerate dissent on this point on MY board!

Albert can always be the King (if BB allows that) even SRV would agree...heck he thought JLV was better then him...but

...Stevie will always be the Vaughan...Rave On Stevie!

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:29

SRV was rediculously great.

Albert King was a mentor. SRV stated this many times, but Stevie took his licks to another level.

Agreed, Maher and the other cat cloned Stevie's style/sound, like the whole generation of blues players after him.

The point I was trying to make in my prior post was Keith can't do what those guys do, but they don't do what he does.

For me personally, Keith's riffs move me way more than every note under the sun the other guys play.

Now BB King doesn't run with it like SRV, but I read somewhere that when SRV met BB the first time, BB held one soulful note with that incredible vibrato of his and Stevie had a tear in his eye, from one note!

Date: May 27, 2013 03:35

beachbreak
SRV was rediculously great.

Albert King was a mentor. SRV stated this many times, but Stevie took his licks to another level.

Agreed, Maher and the other cat cloned Stevie's style/sound, like the whole generation of blues players after him.

The point I was trying to make in my prior post was Keith can't do what those guys do, but they don't do what he does.

For me personally, Keith's riffs move me way more than every note under the sun the other guys play.

Now BB King doesn't run with it like SRV, but I read somewhere that when SRV met BB the first time, BB held one soulful note with that incredible vibrato of his and Stevie had a tear in his eye, from one note!

Understood. I just wanted to make sure we had things clear...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 27, 2013 08:21

GRNRBITW

Do you have a link to your board?

Is it this one?

www.notstonetodnosirururrnnwantfrieswiththat.org

?

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: May 27, 2013 17:43

Keith on "Goin Down" was actually quite sad, IMHO. That was not a good position to put him in. His skill as a solo player are greatly diminished. That's just a fact.

Keith still has some very good moments though. listen near then end of Satisfaction in Toronto. Actaully, much of that is better than usual.

If you want to watch Keith shine on Goin Down, here it is:

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 27, 2013 19:18

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW

Albert can always be the King (if BB allows that) even SRV would agree...heck he thought JLV was better then him...but

Freddie said, this isn't Going Down like this...

Posted by: mgshorr ()
Date: May 27, 2013 19:40

bigfrankie
Keith on "Goin Down" was actually quite sad, IMHO. That was not a good position to put him in. His skill as a solo player are greatly diminished. That's just a fact.

Keith still has some very good moments though. listen near then end of Satisfaction in Toronto. Actaully, much of that is better than usual.

If you want to watch Keith shine on Goin Down, here it is:

thanks, this is great...

Date: May 27, 2013 21:39

Thrylan
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW

Freddie said, this isn't Going Down like this...

What did JJ Cale say?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 27, 2013 22:08

GRNRBITW
seitan - you seem to have a preoccupation with a certain word....wanna enlighten us?

suppose to be healthy for you

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 27, 2013 22:10

I'm going to agree with mgshorr on this one...a pity Keith isn't able to deftly use silence when it comes to speaking or writing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home