Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Mick Jagger talks about us : setlist selected by fans "too obscure"
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 24, 2013 11:21

Obscure is for club shows. It is dark inside grinning smiley
So I agree Mick. Organize some club shows for fans and let the huge crowd drinks some Bud listening to the too much known songs

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 24, 2013 11:23

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 11:48 by dcba.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 24, 2013 12:36

The whole of Satanic Majesties? Now that would be something. His Majesty would cream his pants! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 24, 2013 13:04

I'd pay a lot to hear Satanic Majesties in concert in its' entirety.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 24, 2013 13:18

DEmerson
I was just listening to Goin' Home. Would love to see a 12 minute version of that live!
Mick underestimates his audience.

a groovy one but in a club for sure

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 24, 2013 13:39

Silver Dagger
The whole of Satanic Majesties? Now that would be something. His Majesty would cream his pants! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: May 24, 2013 13:41

Mick once again is using a different definition of the word 'fan' than most of is do. "Those who tweet about their favourite song are not your average fan", whereas your average fan wants to hear HTW.

Our concept is that the latter is not a fan but someone who decides to go see the Stones.

Other than that he is probably right, although there still is a great deal of laziness involved: your average fan does not recognise Live With Me either, so they might as well throw in, say, Too Much Blood on that spot. That however does not happen.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: May 24, 2013 13:51

IS IT REALLY TOO MUCH FOR ME TO EXPECT THEM TO PLAY "HAD IT WITH YOU"?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 24, 2013 13:52

Songs are obscure only because they`re not played. Besides, there are certain women who don`t want to hear Honky Tonk Women (christian ones).

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: May 24, 2013 13:54

Those women are best advised not to show up at all, in all honesty.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 24, 2013 14:06

noughties
Songs are obscure only because they`re not played. Besides, there are certain women who don`t want to hear Honky Tonk Women (christian ones).

Honky Tonky Women is tame compared to some of the lyrics in other Stones songs, that just doesn't make any sense noughties. Fans of the Rolling Stones love the music first, the lyrics are secondary. Besides, the casual fan can't figure out what Jagger is saying anyhow, even devoted fans have to listen many times to figure out the lyrics.

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: May 24, 2013 15:06

It's always fun to see 90 percent of the people on RS facebook vote for Brown Sugar or Satisfaction to be played that night. I guess that only a minority of the RS facebook "fans" has ever attended a Stones concert.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 24, 2013 15:13

latebloomer
noughties

Honky Tonky Women is tame compared to some of the lyrics in other Stones songs, that just doesn't make any sense noughties. Fans of the Rolling Stones love the music first, the lyrics are secondary. Besides, the casual fan can't figure out what Jagger is saying anyhow, even devoted fans have to listen many times to figure out the lyrics.

Sorry, latebloomer, I thought I nailed it. I`ve personally experienced a female member of Jehova`s Witnesses turning the radio off when that song is played.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 24, 2013 15:25

From a post-tour marketing standpoint they could release and sell more DVDs and a multi disk live album (CDs) if they mixed it up a bit more. Heck I'd pay a good price for simulcasts of every show in theaters if I knew I would hear something different.I sometimes think they chose many of these songs just because they are easier to play.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 24, 2013 15:46

By using the word 'obscure' to describe the lesser known songs in the catalogue I think just about sums it up.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: May 24, 2013 16:28

Weren't there some allegations or a general feeling of funny business with the audience picks in the Bridges To Babylon tour? I seem to remember, towards the end of the tour, certain obscure songs would be in the lead in the voting, and then mysteriously at the end of the voting, a two-chord track from "Some Girls" that was really easy to play, would suddenly surge from behind and win the voting at the last possible minute. I definitely remember people talking about it at the time.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 24, 2013 16:47

Hanns Rainsch
It's always fun to see 90 percent of the people on RS facebook vote for Brown Sugar or Satisfaction to be played that night. I guess that only a minority of the RS facebook "fans" has ever attended a Stones concert.

There you have it, Hanns. Social media are the wrong forums to look for real fans opinions. Real fans hangs on forums like this one. But I guess he doesn't care about real fans. He is looking for the tourists and the celebrities. He, probably, doesn't want to even think about real fans since they scare him and reminds him of his own age. If he could he would swap audience with Justin Bieber....

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:23

Munichhilton
I didn't know they were charging to vote. I ain't buying anything! They have no shame...

Are you serious? I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head in disgust. Anything for a buck.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:25

I would pay 500$ to see people faces half way through Satanic Majesty if they played the whole thing.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:25

MILKYWAY
Munichhilton
I didn't know they were charging to vote. I ain't buying anything! They have no shame...

Are you serious? I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head in disgust. Anything for a buck.

Its a rich man's world...I just rent in it...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:35

So, this would be the real fans setlist?:

1: Gomper
2-10: The rest of the "Their Satanic Majestys request"
11-12: Keith's pee break songs
13-21: Dirty Work songs
22: Sleep Tonight

Posted by: Alfonz ()
Date: May 24, 2013 18:07

What is the definition of the average/casual fan? Someone who has at least listened to Sticky Fingers, Exile, Let It Bleed? Someone who only knows songs from Jump Back and Hot Rocks? Or only knows what they've heard on the radio?

Date: May 24, 2013 18:12

I got yelled at on FB telling someone they didn't need to vote for Miss You.......I can't help them.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 24, 2013 18:57

Mick is correct, and this has been covered before, over & over, but he could strike a better balance between " deep cuts" and war horses. It could be 1/3 deep cuts and 2/3 familiar songs so on a set list of about 22 to 23 songs, 8 could be the real gems....

Date: May 24, 2013 19:01

It seem, with GOMC, locked as the opener, the only shake ups are 2-6.....not much room.

Date: May 24, 2013 19:43

If only Mick was as bold internally as he is externally singing songs like Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter. As the world's greatest frontman his worst fear is that the audience is going to fall asleep on him. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why the set lists are what they are. To me a true Rolling Stone is a pirate, a river boat gambler. Mick is anything but.

Date: May 24, 2013 19:51

Alfonz
What is the definition of the average/casual fan? Someone who has at least listened to Sticky Fingers, Exile, Let It Bleed? Someone who only knows songs from Jump Back and Hot Rocks? Or only knows what they've heard on the radio?

I don't know, but a "general" fan is the girlfriend that just has to hear Honkey Tonk Woman or she will dump her boyfriend!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 24, 2013 19:56

This comes back to Keith. At some point Sir Mick the businessman overtook Mick the performer. I thought ER was a strange choice, but did they give it a chance? NO .... I am somewhat insulted by the setlists, combined with More More Hot Rocks, followed by More More More Hot Rocks ....... Sorry Mick, you must WORK, and earn me. Keith was always the one who cried Bulls##t, but it seems he can no longer do it. It feels like Mick holds all the cards. One would never know this band was built on being dangerous. I am currently educating my son on the Stones and can tell from the look of confusion on his face: We did GYYYO last week and he couldn't beleive it. They used to touch on popular themes, but in their style. Even Dance has raunchy Stones guitars. They have become derivative rather that innovative. Sad

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: May 24, 2013 20:17

We can complain (and we do! me included) about wanting more variety in setlists but we must remember 2 things:

1- Most fans in the arena on any given night are seeing the band for the first time. The most recent Vegas show may have been my sixth, but my GF, Aunt, and Cousin with me were seeing them for the first time and if they didn't play Satisfaction, HTW, BS, Dice, Sympathy, Miss You etc, they would have been disapointed.

2- The idea of switching up songs is a relatively new concept for the Stones. We tend to ignore that the "glory days" of old contained the same damn setlist night after night with little to no changes at all! All the big tours we look back at w/rose colored glasses had the same list over and over! 81-82 tour? 72? 89? 69? No suprises nearly at all. Voodoo Lounge I believe was the first tour where they started mixing it up a bit.

Date: May 24, 2013 20:18

Mick knows when he does the ballads he has his female audience in his hip pocket. The casual fan wants to hear the classics, the ones they have been hearing on the radio for decades. The few rarities are for the small percentage of hardcore fans that are in attendance. All things considered it's a fair mix that sees the vast majority (if not all) of those in attendance leave the arena satisfied.

The only hope the hardcore fan has is if the Stones eventually start doing club and theater shows. I am not even sure that the vast majority of hardcore fans even want a new album.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1967
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home