Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Mick Jagger talks about us : setlist selected by fans "too obscure"
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 24, 2013 20:23

Interesting ......I would love to see a breakdown of the average show......First timers, 2-3 timers and Vets..........if the first timers really are the majority, I would defer, but I kind of doubt it at this point.

Date: May 24, 2013 20:40

It would be pretty easy to find out how many are actually seeing the Stones in concert for the first time. Mick could simply ask the audience for a show of hands.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 24, 2013 20:58

lettingitbleed
We can complain (and we do! me included) about wanting more variety in setlists but we must remember 2 things:

1- Most fans in the arena on any given night are seeing the band for the first time. The most recent Vegas show may have been my sixth, but my GF, Aunt, and Cousin with me were seeing them for the first time and if they didn't play Satisfaction, HTW, BS, Dice, Sympathy, Miss You etc, they would have been disapointed.

2- The idea of switching up songs is a relatively new concept for the Stones. We tend to ignore that the "glory days" of old contained the same damn setlist night after night with little to no changes at all! All the big tours we look back at w/rose colored glasses had the same list over and over! 81-82 tour? 72? 89? 69? No suprises nearly at all. Voodoo Lounge I believe was the first tour where they started mixing it up a bit.

The thing is even in 81 JJF (for example) was a relatively new song...only 12 years old at that time......and although it had been played on every tour that was still only a handful of tours.........so, not so much time and playings to have got bored with it .....so, not an issue when it was played.
I remember the first pangs of boredom about setlists in '89 even though the first part of the set was fantastic inc.2000 light years etc...........the run in, IORR, BS, Satisfaction & JJF .......just too predictable, even though they're great songs.
Voodoo Lounge was better just by putting Satisfaction a third of the way into the set, personally I can't see what's wrong with elongated versions Silver Train, Shattered, Dance Little sister, Rocks off, etc to finish a show? And even stick something like Going Home or Let it loose in as part of the encore instead of YCAGWYW ......again

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 21:54 by EddieByword.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 24, 2013 21:31

I don't think any one Stone has 'turned' the group into an oldies act. They're an oldies act simply because they have not produced any music since 1981 that the general public cares about.

By pop music standards, their nearly 20 yr run of being 'vital' or 'relevant' was unprecedented. But for the past 30 years they have been legendary curiosities, sometimes playing great, other times phoning it in, but never again being at the eye of the storm like they once were.

It happens.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 24, 2013 22:37

LongBeachArena72
I don't think any one Stone has 'turned' the group into an oldies act. They're an oldies act simply because they have not produced any music since 1981 that the general public cares about.

By pop music standards, their nearly 20 yr run of being 'vital' or 'relevant' was unprecedented. But for the past 30 years they have been legendary curiosities, sometimes playing great, other times phoning it in, but never again being at the eye of the storm like they once were.

It happens.

stop keeping it real. you're ruining this for people who live in an alternate reality.

Date: May 24, 2013 22:37

LongBeachArena72

It happens.

Someone needs to tell them that the general public can be easily brainwashed.

Date: May 24, 2013 22:41

GRNRBITW
LongBeachArena72

It happens.

stop keeping it real. you're ruining this for people who live in an alternate reality.

The people in many alternate realities are probably enjoying brand new classic Stones music. They never stopped writing in those realities.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 24, 2013 22:44

JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
LongBeachArena72

It happens.

The people in many alternate realities are probably enjoying brand new classic Stones music. They never stopped writing in those realities.

aren't you supposed to be getting driven to insanity or something?

Posted by: bigbitch ()
Date: May 24, 2013 23:29

johnnythunders
" Mick Jagger has said that he's not sure using Twitter to construct setlists for The Rolling Stones' live shows will work as fans online only want to hear obscure songs.

The band will headline two huge gigs in London's Hyde Park this July as well as Glastonbury festival in June with Jagger announcing the Stones' slot on the Pyramid Stage by asking his followers what they would like to hear in the set. However, speaking to Q, Jagger seems to have realised that those following him online are not necessarily interested in just hearing the many hits from the groups career, "With Twitter you get so much more feedback," he says. "But the kind of people who tweet about songs are not your general fan. Not everyone wants obscure songs."

He adds: "Otherwise, you’ll get everyone else saying. 'I brought my girlfriend along, and she wants Honky Tonk Women, not the whole of 'Their Satanic Majesties...', thanks'."

Read more at [www.nme.com] "

At least he noticed the IORR request for the whole of TSMF...

That is just bollocks Mick...you are the Rolling Stones for pete's sakes....I find his lack of artistic nerve sometimes baffling.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 24, 2013 23:51

His Majesty
Silver Dagger
The whole of Satanic Majesties? Now that would be something. His Majesty would cream his pants! >grinning smiley<

That guy in the .gif frame is a real hoot! Looks like an exact cross between John Lennon and Peter Sellers.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 06:34

MICK — "It never gets easier. You’ve always got to prove yourself. You can’t rely on anything you’ve done in the past. Every time you play live, it feels like you’re finding your way again. Then you look at Keith or Charlie and think, 'Oh it’s OK.'"

Playwright Neil Simon—after tons of Broadway smashes—nonetheless said, "Every time I sit down to write a play, I think, `I have to get someone in here to show me how to write.'"

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home