Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: WTF has happened to Mick's pronounciation these days
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 14, 2013 02:26

DandelionPowderman
These days?? Listen to any live recording from the 70s, and you'll find words you never thought even existed smiling smiley

agreed - he has been doing this since i think '73. really ruined a number of songs.
i was actually happy to notice that on this tour he seems to be doing it a lot less.
a low point for me was hearing him totally neutralize 'sway' with his interpretation in concert a few years back.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 14, 2013 02:47

sonomastone
DandelionPowderman
These days?? Listen to any live recording from the 70s, and you'll find words you never thought even existed smiling smiley

agreed - he has been doing this since i think '73. really ruined a number of songs.
i was actually happy to notice that on this tour he seems to be doing it a lot less.
a low point for me was hearing him totally neutralize 'sway' with his interpretation in concert a few years back.
Yes. neutralize is the right word. How about reversing the verses on Rocks Off?

Posted by: SWAYZ ()
Date: May 19, 2013 06:16

treaclefingers
SWAYZ
I still havent got over "hope you gep my name" during SFTD the last 12 yrs.

Did that offense originate during the Steel Wheels tour?

Think about Flashpoint!
No. SW era it was still "guess". It was around lat in the B2B or early NS tour that "guess" became "gep". He still does it now. Pic any recent SFTD live performance. Its quite obvious. How could he @#$%& that lyric up for gods sake!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-19 06:17 by SWAYZ.

Date: May 19, 2013 06:24

SWAYZ
treaclefingers
SWAYZ

Think about Flashpoint!
No. SW era it was still "guess". It was around lat in the B2B or early NS tour that "guess" became "gep". He still does it now. Pic any recent SFTD live performance. Its quite obvious. How could he @#$%& that lyric up for gods sake!

maybe he is as bored with the war horses as some of the people on this board.

Posted by: SWAYZ ()
Date: May 19, 2013 06:34

sonomastone
SWAYZ
treaclefingers
SWAYZ

Think about Flashpoint!

maybe he is as bored with the war horses as some of the people on this board.
Maybe, Is it really that hard to say "guess" instead of geP. I gepp so. LOL!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 19, 2013 06:56

bigbitch
24FPS
Wow. What an appropriately named poster. Seriously? A thread on Mick's pronunciation?

STFU there are about 100 threads more banal than a legit question of the LV of the Rolling Stones mauling his ow lyrics...but keep on douching 24FPS

And keep living up to your screen name. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 01:25 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 19, 2013 07:44

He's always mush mouthed everything......check the Drift Away boot....remember, he learned it from Fats Domino and Blueberry Hill; People will listen more just trying to decipher the lyric. I am more concerned with his eyes just swelling shut if his face gets any wrinklier.

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: May 19, 2013 16:47

I can still only understand about 5 words in "Soul Survivor."

"Hey, hey, just to peeg god gwye...turnin' ride on rye...I'm gettin' all uh my..."

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: May 20, 2013 11:24

Rocky Dijon
Send It To me
I'll never be your pizza burnin'

That made me laugh. My kids used to hear "Hot Stuff" as "Pasta - can't get enough." Changes the whole damn song. Then of course there was their deliberate mishearing of "Might As Well Get Juice" which they used in restaurants whenever possible.

Speaking of Mick's pronunciations what about the way "jewel" comes out as "Jew" these days. Have a listen to "Under the Radar" or live versions of "Tumbling Dice."

That's amazing! LOL An ex gf of mine thought that they were singing "get me chicken nuggets" instead of "Can't you hear me knocking" and "Ain't no stranger" as "Anal stranger" on the 4 flicks DVD

video: [youtu.be]

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 11:50 by Nasty Habits.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 21, 2013 00:28

Mick got the vocal nuances of Doom and Gloom perfect!

I mean perfect.

The timing and the slurs...

It's a classic fantastic Jagger vocal.

He can still do it, it's all about paying attention and caring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 00:28 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 21, 2013 00:46

LOL An ex gf of mine thought that they were singing "get me chicken nuggets" instead of "Can't you hear me knocking" and "Ain't no stranger" as "Anal stranger" on the 4 flicks DVD

..... Good god !!! did ya ever play her CS Blues???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:00

We spent a lonely night at the Mem-a-wee Motel - No Security

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:35

oh jesus christ,now we're bitching about "pronounciation".its like reading a message board with a bunch of old lady school teachers.its a rock and roll band,they're rock and roll songs..

and the whole "this lyric sounds like this and its really that" is bad 1980s standup comedian bullshit.please stop,its tired,lame and not even close to being funny.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:56

Anal stranger, hah.

Long-time Mick habit, messing with the pronounciation.

I always found it rather charming.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 21, 2013 03:28

angee
Anal stranger, hah.

Long-time Mick habit, messing with the pronounciation.

I always found it rather charming.

I agree, it has a certain charm, even when it verges on the ridiculous.

Mick obviously likes to play with words, many writers enjoy creating their own turn of phrase. He bends words to fit the song and his mood when he is performing.

Rap and hip hop artists do it a lot, Mick was just ahead of his time! grinning smiley

Date: May 21, 2013 04:06

Rockman
LOL An ex gf of mine thought that they were singing "get me chicken nuggets" instead of "Can't you hear me knocking" and "Ain't no stranger" as "Anal stranger" on the 4 flicks DVD

i thought for at least 10 years that "but i try try try" in let's spend the night together was "baby cha cha cha"
i think mick has been pretty consistent over the years that the lyrics are not important, and are designed to fit the song first and foremost. he's modest to such a degree it kind of comes off as false modesty, but no doubt his reaction to our discussions at this level of detail would be "come on it's only rock and roll" and he feels he has license to change the words and pronounce them as he sees fit.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 23, 2013 10:32

Consult Madonna re affected pronounciation. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 23, 2013 10:55

sonomastone
Rockman

i thought for at least 10 years that "but i try try try" in let's spend the night together was "baby cha cha cha"
i think mick has been pretty consistent over the years that the lyrics are not important, and are designed to fit the song first and foremost. he's modest to such a degree it kind of comes off as false modesty, but no doubt his reaction to our discussions at this level of detail would be "come on it's only rock and roll" and he feels he has license to change the words and pronounce them as he sees fit.

I don't mind mangled lyrics and eccentric phrasing.

I do mind phrasing that grates.

His recent years changing of "u" sounds for "yo" or "ar" grates and makes him sound like a Brummie (the worse UK accent for the information of non-Brits... and don't worry.. I'm a Brummie so I'm not being unkind).

"I need yo yo yo" at the grammies was irritating.

His "Beast of Bardon" sounds terrible.

Why doesn't anyone tell him that the why he originally sang it is pretty good?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 10:57 by GravityBoy.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home