Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gimme Shelter - Puddle Of Mudd cover
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 26, 2013 23:50

I realize this happened awhile ago to me when I wasn't part of this board and I'm curious to see what your opinion is/was:

A friend of mine is a big Puddle of Mudd fan. Pretty bad band from the early 2000s and they have a few songs you might know (Blurry, She Hates Me, Famous, Psycho). I had heard their songs many times on my local radio station and never really liked them.

I guess two years ago, or whenever this album came out, my friend who loves them said they did a great cover of Gimme Shelter. I laughed and said "yeah, I actually believe that". Well he played it for me and it genuinely blew me. I thought it totally kicked ass and they totally made it their own! Again, this is coming from someone that really doesn't like this band, and this actually gave me an appreciation for them. Rarely does a cover song do that for me, but I don't think I'd actually BELIEVED Gimme Shelter like this in years.

Fast forward a few months: these guys are playing near me, playing a set of covers to promote their new covers album, and then a set of original material. $28 bucks in total and my friend had no one to go with so I was nice and went alot. Opened with Gimme Shelter which was even better live. And overall the concert was actually really cool.

But I wasn't around when this song came out a few years ago. Did people hear like it/even know or care about it? I could see it going either way, but now that I'm hearing their version for the first time in awhile, I thought "geez, why don't you have these guys guest with you." I know the answer, they aren't anywhere near famous enough, but I wondered if the Stones would appreciate their cover, and if Stones fans might appreciate as well. I still think it kicks ass:

Re: Gimme Shelter - Puddle Of Mudd cover
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 27, 2013 00:15

Wow! That totally rocks! I've never heard it before but I'd have to put it ahead of Grand Funk's version and definitely above the version U2 did with Jagger a few years back. I loved it, thanks for posting. (Now I gotta see if I can find it on iTunes!)

Date: April 27, 2013 00:40

Glad you enjoyed! Yes, next to the Stones original, its my favorite version. Definitely on iTunes.

Date: April 28, 2013 19:56

Bump

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home