Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chuc Berry last month in Paris
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 21, 2005 13:40

Wolfgang sorry to say it, as you are a true admirer of the ancestors, but Chuck Berry in Paris last month was pure crap.

He was backed by a group of honest, no-inspired ballroom style musicians, not genius, but decent at least.

Berry was performing probably in the Berry's style pictured in Hail Hail rock'n'roll! That means, discovering the band on stage, no rehearsals, etc. He was most of the time out of tune - well, compared to the keyboard and the bass-, probably because one of his favourite trick depicted in the movie, i.e. playing a classic in D instead of C, with all the band puzzling to guess the key. But as he created the song, he is the master, isn't he?

The worst: CB feeling himself uncomfortable with his only guitar – he seems he has just one went going to a show -, first accused the wireless jack - you know, this new technologies that never work -, then kicking the bass player out of stage to TAKE HIS BASS, giving his guitar to the roadies.

"It is a really big neck, I am not used to it", said Berry to a dubious crowd. Then he started a sort of classic bass boogie line, like playing for himself in his garage

After this incredible, dumb performance, he "rehired" the bass player reappaering from the backstage and end the show with - in this circumstance - ridiculous duck step. "As we lost 10 minutes, I'll give you 20 minutes extra", said an unashamed, still money-obsessed Berry.

The warm up, performed by Joe Richardson Express, a power rock trio, was much better. The guy is haunted by Hendrix, but with style. I recommend his album "Somhelgisfel" drinking a raw whisky at night.

Re: Chuc Berry last month in Paris
Posted by: WolfgangG ()
Date: February 21, 2005 15:15

Yeah, that was the first Olympia show. I agree, a real disaster! The second one was much better though.

Wolfgang

Re: Chuc Berry last month in Paris
Posted by: WolfgangG ()
Date: February 21, 2005 15:22

And he did not even give the 20 minutes back he promised. He was on stage for exactly the contracted 60 minutes.

Wolfgang

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home