Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
For Some Of Us, Mick Taylor Is The 'Sell'...
Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 5, 2013 05:08

Strange...For the past 48 hours I've been communicating with some buddies that I've been to Stones concerts with since the '81 tour and the general thought has been somewhat surprising. We're all in our 50's and to a man, and we're all men...Nobody...and I mean, Nobody...seems to be willing to shell out a couple of hundred, or a few hundred dollars, to see the same act that we've seen the last 20-odd years. I find myself reluctant as well. The general consensus is that unless Mick Taylor plays on a good half-dozen Ya-ya's/Sticky/Exile songs we're not interested (and the wives and girlfriends sure as heck aren't interested!). If it turns out he's only there for one song in the first couple of shows...pffft!

It's not that anyone doesn't like the present line-up but it's a been there-done that feeling....at least 15 shows since '81. Maybe it's because we're in our antiquated years, I don't know. But Mick Taylor, out of nowhere, has somehow become the only incentive to go see them once again...at least for us old guys. Maybe the newer fans couldn't care less. So...it's a wait in see...no panic rush to get tickets...yet. Maybe I'll end up going anyway. It's sure to be a great show but I'm feeling that I've already seen it before. If I do go and Taylor's on for one song only...it won't be special...know what I mean?

Re: For Some Of Us, Mick Taylor Is The 'Sell'...
Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: April 5, 2013 05:17

I am 100% in the same mindset. And that is what is making the decision about getting tickets so difficult. We have no idea what capacity MT will be involved. I also have zero interest if it's only a song or two. We just don't have enough info to make a sound decision about taking that ticket plunge, and it's driving me crazy.

Part of me thinks since it's a continuation of the "50 and counting tour" (same stage, etc) then MT will still be just doing Midnight Rambler and maybe one more if we're lucky.

C'mon stones...give us more to go on. Tickets go on sale soon for my area!!!!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 5, 2013 05:40

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I hope M.T. is dieting.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: April 5, 2013 05:42

my biggest problem(and i saw both prudential shows,that were amazing)is no new music to interest me.sure taylor playing more songs is a draw,but not another 600 bucks.

Date: April 5, 2013 09:24

*error* thought I'd posted on a different thread.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-05 09:26 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: April 5, 2013 12:19

Title5Take1

I have been hoping the same for BB King during the last two decades!

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: April 5, 2013 14:48

I 100% agree... In the middle of the show, they should have him come out (maybe even with Bill if they could work something out) and play a 5-6 song set of songs from 68-74. I know he wasn't originally on Beggar's Banquet, but it is clear the No Expectations from 1973 benefit show was beautiful with him in guitar. Sympathy, Street Fighting Man & Stray Cat all became different and better with his guitar.

My hope is he gets to play on a set of songs from this group:
68 (No Expectations, Stray Cat)
69 (Gimme Shelter in the style of 72/73, YCAGWYW 72/73 style)
71 (Sway, CYHMK)
72 (Torn & Frayed w/ Ronnie on lap steel and MT on lead, Loving Cup, All Down the Line, Tumbling Dice and maybe even trade leads with Ronnie on Happy)
73 (Angie- electric 73 style, Silver Train)
74 (IORR- with the 3 original guitarists on the song playing at the same time! But in the original release style, like the Foo Fighters copied with Jagger)

and then maybe through in Plundered My Soul.

Obviously, they wouldn't do every number every show but I think mixing up a 5 song rotation on different nights at the same venue would be perfect. What do you think?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 5, 2013 16:52

Why they don't get the 5-man lineup who made Sticky through IORR one stage at one time is completely beyond me. They had the opportunity to do that in December and yet didn't. I think if the "sell" for the tour was "all the legendary Rolling Stones from the Exile era (plus Ron Wood) together for the first time since 1973" it would be quite a big draw. Yet they aren't interested. A shame.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 5, 2013 16:55

MT might be the sell for about .5% of the attendees....and that's about how much of the show he'll be playing...you do the math...

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 5, 2013 17:07

Well...If that's the case...95% will have a great time, for sure. I'll probably pass @ $600. Seen that 95% of the show many times...and $200 balcony seats (in Toronto) don't appeal...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 5, 2013 17:37

Actually I have been surprised at how many more casual fans have remarked about Mick Taylor being involved again. I think the awareness of him being something special to the band among the general public is more widespread than many here allow.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 5, 2013 17:47

Title5Take1

At his age that could be dangerous...perhaps some strategic lighting?

Date: April 5, 2013 17:53

71Tele
Actually I have been surprised at how many more casual fans have remarked about Mick Taylor being involved again. I think the awareness of him being something special to the band among the general public is more widespread than many here allow.

many is a relative term....there are precious few "casual" fans who wouldn't be tempted to spend $600 but for the inclusion of a former member for a song or two....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-05 17:54 by GRNRBITW.

Date: April 5, 2013 18:05

saltoftheearth
Title5Take1

I have been hoping the same for BB King during the last two decades!
In a Stones book (I think the Keith bio by Victor Bockris) Mick sent Jerry over one morning to Keith's before a tour to encourage Keith to start a little health regimen. And first thing at Keith's, Patti hands Jerry a morning Bloody Mary. And Jerry immediately knew her trip had been futile.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 5, 2013 18:21

I have to agree. Having seen the band 18 times since 1981, I would be very really cool to see Mick step out a few songs that showcase his talents. We'll know on opening night which ones...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 6, 2013 00:36

Mick Taylor is an attraction because there's been precious little over the years. You hold out hope they'll do something different, maybe have a sitar player do the intro to Paint It Black, or have a real flute player do the Ruby Tuesday bit. But it never happens. Then they botch bringing Bill back by treating him so off handedly. They really do seem to do as little as they possibly have to. Very, very little artistic chance is ever taken.

Well, now that they opened the door to Taylor, and Wyman, sort of, people aren't satisfied with just seeing the same old road show since '94. Of course there are enough people to pay the sucker money and maybe see them once in their lifetimes, but I don't think hard core fans are all that excited. And, as Palerider22 said, some will hang back and see what exactly they'll allow Taylor to do.

As much as I love the Rolling Stones, they have proven over and over that they don't really give a crap what the hard core fans want to hear. Or who they want to see in the band. On stage they will do the absolute minimum for the maximum amount of cash. Fine. They earned it I guess. It would have been nice for them to play true rarities, or interesting covers and stretch out. But this most rebellious of bands has always been the most professional. The most by the book, clockwork on time group since the late 70s. It's very corporate and it's very predictable. They're old. I understand. Take another lap. Rake in some coin. Relax.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: April 6, 2013 01:05

Seems I fall into the (1) "some of us" and (2) "some hanging back" categories.
While I'd be thrilled to hear him perform anything with the band, it would be great if he were on stage for the whole show and participated in pre and post-Taylor era songs.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 6, 2013 01:11

24FPS

As much as I love the Rolling Stones, they have proven over and over that they don't really give a crap what the hard core fans want to hear.

"hard core fans" translate nicely in "a tiny minority among ppl attending shows" = we weight nothing and Jagger will do nothign or next to nothing for us.

Voila! grinning smiley

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 6, 2013 01:12

I'm pleased to see MT do his bit. I expect it to be some sort of mini set or two or three songs. Funnily enough, unlike "some of us" on this thread, both my wife and oldest friend are not overjoyed. My friend always loathed his overplaying and distracting from Keith (we're talking about back in the day)and my wife thinks he's too fat and makes them look even older.

Re: But For Some Of Us, Mick Jagger Has Ruined The Tour...
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 6, 2013 01:44

It's great that Mick Taylor will get his 10 minutes onstage with Midnight Rambler, but Mick Jagger's [that's primarily who I blame] has already ruined the tour by giving short shrift to Bill Wyman, enough so that Wyman refuses to join the 50 And Counting Their Mistakes tour.

Leave it to The Stones to screw up their anniversary tour for the fans by alienating an original member.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 6, 2013 04:33

TeddyB1018
I'm pleased to see MT do his bit. I expect it to be some sort of mini set or two or three songs. Funnily enough, unlike "some of us" on this thread, both my wife and oldest friend are not overjoyed. My friend always loathed his overplaying and distracting from Keith (we're talking about back in the day)and my wife thinks he's too fat and makes them look even older.

No offense to your wife, but at this point I don't care how they look. All that matters is the sound. I wouldn't even need a close seat at this point because they're starting to look scary. It's nice that Mick is still slithery, but Keith's glam days are over. I just want him to be able to play with more fluidity. I want Bill back more than anyone, and I sure as heck don't need to look at him.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 6, 2013 05:02

I don't care what they look like, I want some great music. They can still improvise good. Mick Taylor can still play better leads than Keith or Ronnie. Only a superficial fair weather "fan" cares what they look like because more than likely they aren't even really listening to the music. Music is the point of it all.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: April 6, 2013 14:58

sanQ
I don't care what they look like, I want some great music. They can still improvise good. Mick Taylor can still play better leads than Keith or Ronnie. Only a superficial fair weather "fan" cares what they look like because more than likely they aren't even really listening to the music. Music is the point of it all.

Bingo... who cares what they look like? I mean really because skinny 70 year old men are attracting people to come see them? The Stones have enough money that they could work with Mick T if it is about image. I don't think Chuck or Darryl are 140 lbs like the rest of the group are they? Rubbish. Let Taylor play on 5 songs and possible an encore.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:09

I saw the Brooklyn show at Barclay's and MT was not there that was a bummer but the show was outstanding. I am of the mindset that if I don't go see the show in Boston in ten years when they are not around I will kick myself in the ass because I could have gone and in the overall scheme of things $500 is not a ton of money to spend on something that has been a part of my DNA since 1977. The Stones music is in my blood and I need to go when they come around. They proved to me in December that they can still play and play very well. I bought the PPV so I could listen because I don't always know while attending if they played really well until I hear a playback. I snesed that they played well in Brooklyn and the PPV confirmed it. I saw them in 2006 thought the show was good and heard a playback and Keith was awful on that night but I had a good time at the show nonetheless. Bottom line if you want to go if you don't and are presently struggling with finances and can't justofy it then you unfortunately will have to pass but if you have the money go you will regret not going when they are no longer able to play. One of them could pass in the near future. Charlie has had issues and Keith and Ronnie have had years of abuse. Even Mick could drop at his age. So go if you can afford it or even if its a struggle to scrape it together!

Date: April 6, 2013 17:11

slew
I saw the Brooklyn show at Barclay's and MT was not there that was a bummer but the show was outstanding. I am of the mindset that if I don't go see the show in Boston in ten years when they are not around I will kick myself in the ass because I could have gone and in the overall scheme of things $500 is not a ton of money to spend on something that has been a part of my DNA since 1977.

i didn't realize you could alter your dna...

anyway - out of morbid curiosity...what WOULD your upper limit be...in the overall scheme of things and such?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:13

GRNRBITW
slew
I saw the Brooklyn show at Barclay's and MT was not there that was a bummer but the show was outstanding. I am of the mindset that if I don't go see the show in Boston in ten years when they are not around I will kick myself in the ass because I could have gone and in the overall scheme of things $500 is not a ton of money to spend on something that has been a part of my DNA since 1977.

anyway - out of morbid curiosity...what WOULD your upper limit be...in the overall scheme of things and such?

I'd say he probably has a slew of options.

Date: April 6, 2013 17:16

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
slew

dammit. i was saving up that line for zinger later. thanks alot.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:17

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
slew

dammit. i was saving up that line for zinger later. thanks alot.

I feel for you as I was sitting on that one all morning.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:17

It depends on where the seat is?? $600 bucks and I'll probably be going by myself and try and meet up with people from this board because most people think I'm crazy.

Date: April 6, 2013 17:19

slew
It depends on where the seat is?? $600 bucks and I'll probably be going by myself and try and meet up with people from this board because most people think I'm crazy.

dammit. i was just about to sell you my floor seat for $605.00.

anyone else?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1624
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home