Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Toronto May+June 2013 show planning
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 29, 2013 19:33

Is anyone having any luck scoring 85 dollar tickets for the June show this late in the game?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 1, 2013 18:36

Mississauga high school choir to perform with Rolling Stones

Cawthra Park Secondary School's chamber choir has been selected to perform with the Rolling Stones when they perform in Toronto on May 25 and June 6.

By: Laura Kane News reporter, Published on Wed May 01 2013

You can’t always get what you want – unless you’re a student at Cawthra Park Secondary School, apparently.

The Mississauga high school’s chamber choir has been chosen to perform with the Rolling Stones when they play the Air Canada Centre May 25 and June 6.

The choir of Grade 11 and 12 students will join the band on stage for their classic song “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.” The school scored the gig after being recommended by the University of Toronto’s music faculty.

“It was really exciting to get the initial inquiry,” said the choir’s director Bob Anderson, adding that the kids reacted with “loud screaming.”
The choir has performed for large audiences before, most notably at Roy Thomson Hall with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, and at the Air Canada Centre with Cirque du Soleil.

Made up of 48 students, the choir will split into two 24-voice groups, with one performing at each of the Toronto concerts. Anderson and music department director Sherri Collins will conduct the performances.

But don’t assume kids these days have never heard of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Brett Webster, 17, a bass singer in the choir, has been listening to the
band his whole life.

“I was just in shock,” he said of the moment he heard the news. “I would have been happy to just see them perform, let alone perform on stage with them.”
He said parts of the harmony for “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” will be challenging. The sopranos have to hit some soaring high notes and the choir has to emulate an English accent for a few words.

Although he and other students are nervous, Webster said the seasoned group always pulls it together to act professional on stage.

“You gotta treat it like every other performance. We’re there to sing and to back them up,” he said.

His parents, who introduced him to the band in the first place, might be even more excited than he is. “They were thrilled. Obviously, they grew up listening to the Stones and they were really thrilled.”

For their “50 and Counting Tour,” the Stones are performing with high school choirs from each city they visit.

[www.thestar.com]

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 1, 2013 18:39

GumbootCloggeroo
Is anyone having any luck scoring 85 dollar tickets for the June show this late in the game?

I've signed up. That's plan A. Plan B is to talk a scalper down to 150 or no sale.

Posted by: Tonyz ()
Date: May 1, 2013 19:09

I'm gonna hear You Can’t Always Get What You Want with an actual goddamn choir... this is just too much. I can't take it.

Posted by: twotonguekisses ()
Date: May 2, 2013 06:02

add me + 1 with $85's for the June 6th show! Great to be part of the crew!

Date: May 2, 2013 06:07

Somegirl66
P.S. Us Vancouver island girls will be dancing and singing all night! Hope those those serious Torontonians don't get upset.

1989 -skydome - told to sit down during Brown Sugar....No Security @ ACC the lady behind me tapped my shoulder at the end of the show and said how awesome it was watching me dance...all I could think was "then why didn't you dance?"...Toronto is a strange place, but the Stones and many other performers love it there??? well some Newfoundland boogie is coming to town on the 6th!

Date: May 2, 2013 06:10

does anyone have the link to the $85's for the Toronto shows? The 6th in particular...I got mine but was trying to hook up some friends...

Date: May 2, 2013 06:11

FYI - anyone in Toronto for the june 6th gig - Primus is playing @ Danforth Music Hall (1100 capacity) on Friday and Saturday (I got my ticket for Friday 7th if anyone wants to join me)

Date: May 2, 2013 15:06

twotonguekisses
Somegirl66
P.S. Us Vancouver island girls will be dancing and singing all night! Hope those those serious Torontonians don't get upset.

1989 -skydome - told to sit down during Brown Sugar....No Security @ ACC the lady behind me tapped my shoulder at the end of the show and said how awesome it was watching me dance...all I could think was "then why didn't you dance?"...Toronto is a strange place, but the Stones and many other performers love it there??? well some Newfoundland boogie is coming to town on the 6th!

Get yer east coast ass over here! Not everyone in Toronto is stuck up.
Hit Ronnie's in Kensington Market early, then head over to the Horseshoe for a couple. Avoid bars close to the ACC like the plague.

Date: May 2, 2013 15:30

Hey Andrew, sorry to offend, I know not everyone is stuck up! I checked out the reviews on Ronnie's and it sounds perfect for me! I was figuring the Horseshoe after the show. Alot of my friends from here dig the Bovine as well. Maybe we can meet for one...

Date: May 2, 2013 15:33

By the way, this will be my 7th Toronto/Stones show...

Date: May 2, 2013 16:07

twotonguekisses
Hey Andrew, sorry to offend, I know not everyone is stuck up! I checked out the reviews on Ronnie's and it sounds perfect for me! I was figuring the Horseshoe after the show. Alot of my friends from here dig the Bovine as well. Maybe we can meet for one...

No offence taken! A lot of that reputation is richly deserved.
Toronto being as large as it is makes it easy to get lost in the soulless part.
I always try and convince folks to step out of the tourist areas and into the smaller neighbourhoods where the regular folks are.
Yep the Bovine is definitely good rockin' fun and highly recommended!
They have a new rooftop patio now as well.
If I score an $85 ticket you're on for that beer.

Date: May 2, 2013 16:37

And Shidoobee called Statman has figured some of the discount link codes on ticketmaster, I messaged him to see if he knew the link for the Toronto show, if I get it I will post it here...If the people I am crashing with do not want my extra 85 then you are in...cheers

Date: May 2, 2013 16:39

Do you recommend the Silver Dollar?

Date: May 2, 2013 19:05

The Silver Dollar sometimes has decent bands but it's not really much of a hangout. There's no point in dropping in just for a beer.

For before I'd suggest a patio like Ronnie's or Betty's on King E. if you're in that end of town.
Or the Black Bull on Queen St. W is a reliable stand-by patio.

After, The Bovine usually has a good crowd and decent bands, as does the Dakota further west at Ossington & Dundas.
Cherry Cola at Queen W & Bathurst can be good too.

For a more low key, no cover hole in the wall vibe there's always Sweaty Betty's at Queen W & Ossington. Wide Open on Spadina & The Horseshoe (front bar) among many others.

My local chill place is the Cloak & Dagger at College & Borden.
Nice staff, cool tunes, and you can smoke on the back patio.smoking smiley

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 20:22

I am from near Toronto and have gone to too many shows to count there. But based on the crowd reaction in Europe and Asia to the Stones shows I took part in, Toronto is so layed back and stuffy it's a wonder they even bother to show up.
Stand up, dance, sing your lungs out and enjoy the hell out of the last time you'll ever see this band!! Anyone who objects to your actions should have stayed home....

Date: May 2, 2013 21:25

ron091
I am from near Toronto and have gone to too many shows to count there. But based on the crowd reaction in Europe and Asia to the Stones shows I took part in, Toronto is so layed back and stuffy it's a wonder they even bother to show up.
Stand up, dance, sing your lungs out and enjoy the hell out of the last time you'll ever see this band!! Anyone who objects to your actions should have stayed home....

Older crowds tend to be that way for sure, and expensive shows bring out a lamer crowd generally speaking.
Toronto crowds can be hit and miss- some are great and others you wonder why they even bothered showing up.
It's never stopped me from rocking out at a show, though.

Posted by: Somegirl66 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 02:42

twotonguekisses
Somegirl66

Hello and many thanks for your words of encouragement twotonguekisses, Andrew and Ron091. If we provoke hard feelings with our island girl exuberance, then they definitely may object to the 8 foot tonque logo banner we'll be holding up(between songs of course) with glow in the dark fabric paint that says ROLLING STONES ROCK VANCOUVER ISLAND GIRLS!!! Thanks for the tips on good pubs before/after concert. Cheers! (:

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 3, 2013 02:57

For pre-show drinks, I would recommend a great pub called C'est What? It is at the south-east corner of Front St and Church St (downstairs), about a 5 minute walk to the ACC and they have an excellent selection of real ale and craft beer, as well as a respectable selection of whisky (and whiskey, although why anyone would drink that when there is whisky is beyond me). They also have an excellent kitchen. Highly recommend.

Posted by: ichang ()
Date: May 7, 2013 02:00

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all excited for the upcoming Toronto show (May 25th)!

I bought a silver package ticket thinking that it was 2 seats and I feel really stupid now lol sad smiley

So I am in a little bit of a predicament, I have a GREAT seat but it is just a single seat.

The silver package includes memorabilia, a laminate, a tour book and is in section 103 row 30 seat 21.

I have the ticket in hand already and a reciept to prove its legitimacy.

In short I'm looking for help to take it off my hands because I wont be going alone.

Please contact me if you have a serious inquiry, I'm more than happy to talk with a serious fan.

e-mail = ian.ic.chang@outlook.com

Cheers!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 7, 2013 04:29

SomeTorontoGirl
For pre-show drinks, I would recommend a great pub called C'est What? It is at the south-east corner of Front St and Church St (downstairs), about a 5 minute walk to the ACC and they have an excellent selection of real ale and craft beer, as well as a respectable selection of whisky (and whiskey, although why anyone would drink that when there is whisky is beyond me). They also have an excellent kitchen. Highly recommend.

That's gotta be at least a 10 minute walk.

Five minutes if you wanna get sweaty!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 23, 2013 11:11

Two days to go!

Bjornulf

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 23, 2013 14:12

treaclefingers

OK - I'll take your word for it! Still think it's a pretty great pub.

Date: May 23, 2013 16:34

SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers

OK - I'll take your word for it! Still think it's a pretty great pub.

I got the 85 dollar tickets courtesy Gumboot! I'm flying in from Vancouver!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:56

Toronto meeting place before the show:

C'est What, Brew/Vin Pub Restaurant
67 Front Street East, Toronto

[www.cestwhat.ca]

at the south-east corner of Front St and Church St (downstairs),
a short walk to the ACC

Bjornulf

Posted by: stoggin ()
Date: May 24, 2013 03:12

The Irish Embassy up Yonge Street, a couple of blocks from the ACC is okay. There are a couple of pubs that I can't remember the name of west on front street (Pauper something?). Joe Badali's on Front opposite Union Station and the ACC and Fionn McCools on the Esplanade - whole bunch of bars down there all within spitting distance of the ACC

Date: May 24, 2013 16:29

bv

[www.cestwhat.ca]

a short walk to the ACC

If this is the meeting spot...this is the google maps direction to Air Canada Centre. A slight hike , or 9 minutes by public transit according to google.

[maps.google.ca]

OK I give up...won't post the actual directions.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 16:42 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: May 24, 2013 16:37

bv
Two days to go!
Flew in from London yesterday.......going to pick my ticket uplater today !!!

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 24, 2013 21:23

Ticket giveaway (Ontario residents only).

CONTEST ALERT: Enter for a chance to #WIN a pair of tickets to see The @RollingStones on June 6--> [surveyconsole.com]

[twitter.com]

Date: May 24, 2013 21:57

treaclefingers
bv

[www.cestwhat.ca]

a short walk to the ACC

If this is the meeting spot...this is the google maps direction to Air Canada Centre. A slight hike , or 9 minutes by public transit according to google.

[maps.google.ca]

OK I give up...won't post the actual directions.

Google is on crack like our mayor.
C'est What is about a 5-10 minute walk from the ACC.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home