Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Bob Dylan Show
Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: February 8, 2005 00:34

Are there any Stones fans who got tickets to see Bob Dylan/Merle Haggard/Amos Lee at the Pantages in Los Angeles next month? He's doing five performances over a six-day period. Just interested in seeing how many people who read the posts on this board also are fans of Dylan . . .

Re: OT: The Bob Dylan Show
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 8, 2005 00:41

Stones fans tend to be Dylan fans and vice-versa. Just "good taste" folks in general, are we. I'm going to the Oakland shows - never pass up a Dylan opportunity. Saw him 5 times last October. We are blessed....

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: February 8, 2005 01:40

Well, I am going to the Wednesday show...but the tix I got offered for Friday & Saturday were not where I am willing to sit. Going to go up & try to scalp my way in. I live in San Diego & am an accountant (tax season)...so this will be a real effort...but I do love Dylan. I think about value at shows like his...how much I love the show...in a club...and how little it costs. Things like what Dylan are doing make me want to see the Stones at their high costs a bit less.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 9, 2005 21:50

Read a review of his Seattle show w/Merle. He has added Donnie Herron, the multi-instrumentalist from BR-549 to his band. This guy is probably the most taltented musician playing in Country music (not sure that is a large compliment) and BR5 is one of the best live acts you'll ever see. Donnie, from the beautiful state of West Virginia (USA), plays fiddle, pedal steel, mandonlin, guitar and other instruments. He is quite the player.

I wish the Stones would keep their live act as fresh as "the Bob" does.

You guys going to the Pantages show are in for a treat. Enjoy!

karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 9, 2005 22:49

I'm going to the Oakland show at the Paramount! Bov and Merle rock!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 9, 2005 22:50

I hope he comes to Europe this year.

Date: March 9, 2005 23:04

listened to the first Seattle show (the torrent came in at a record clip) - very impressive. The sound is slightly different from last year's band - maybe a little "smoother" - less emphasis on guitar solos, more emphasis on "ensemble sound" (a good thing, IMO). His reading of Mr.TMan was transcendent. Very much looking forward to next Mon/Tue/Wed....Bob's THE man.

Date: March 9, 2005 23:10

I heard that boot too. Sing Me Back Home was fun!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 9, 2005 23:51

I downloaded the opening show of the tour on EZT (I got it completed in about 9 hours - ie, about 20 hrs after the gig ended)

Its fantastic. For a first show with a new look band, it was quite something. I think musically its the best shake up to his band in about a decade

I think I played "Sing Me Back Home" back to back this afternoon about ten times in a row. It was breathtaking.

Date: March 9, 2005 23:57

Hey Gazza - did you get my emails? Heading your way in May....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 10, 2005 04:04

I'm attending the Tuesday and Friday night shows at the Pantages Theater.

Saw him last year at University Santa Barbara Arena...the sound was pretty bad, but the band rocked like hell.

I saw him a couple times a few years ago at the Wiltern Theter in L.A., and it ranks up there with my favorite Stones shows.

I saw him for my first time in '78 at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium 5th row center, and none other than Ronnie Wood was sitting right down the aisle from us.

"You Got To Serve Somebody"!!!

Date: March 10, 2005 11:40

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Gazza - did you get my emails? Heading your
> way in May....

did indeed. Will reply asap. Great to hear it, mate!

erikjjf wrote:
>I hope he comes to Europe this year.

he will be. Look for a tour in the autumn.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 10, 2005 15:05

I also am looking forward to sseing Bob in Europe again.
I missed him in 2003, but I'll probably be there next time

Also waiting for Bruce Springsteen to come back

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: March 11, 2005 18:10

Gazza Wrote:
> I downloaded the opening show of the tour on EZT

Also the March 9th show is up on EZT.

Date: March 11, 2005 19:12

got it overnight too, Erik!

Goin' home to check it out now! aint this fun?

Date: March 11, 2005 19:13

Doc Wrote:
> I also am looking forward to sseing Bob in Europe
> again.
> I missed him in 2003, but I'll probably be there
> next time
>
> Also waiting for Bruce Springsteen to come back

you should get to see both of them before the end of this year.
with those two and the Stones, you have the same 3 favourites as me!

Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: March 11, 2005 19:15

just listened to two of the first three seattle shows.nice man in me and queen jane amongst others.

Date: March 11, 2005 19:17

theyre fantastic, aint they? sing Me Back Home is just incredible!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 11, 2005 20:53

i've downloaded both, but only allowed myself to listen to MrTMan, QJA and TMIM from the first nite so as to spoil the 3 Oakland shows I'm seeing starting Monday. The anticipation is killing me...

Date: March 11, 2005 23:22

Roll your tapes!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 11, 2005 23:29

I was thinking about seeing Bob at the Beacon in NY in April. A friend of mine however said that he is not that great live these days. But I have never seen him live and still want to check it out. How often does Bob play stuff from his album Time Out of Mind nowadays. Wonder if he'll cover any different Stones songs this tour.

Date: March 11, 2005 23:42

He played "Make You Feel My Love" at one of the Seattle shows. Plus a few songs from Love & Theft. But the way he shifts his setlists around, there is no way to determine what you will hear, going to a Bob show smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-12 00:21 by erikjjf.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 11, 2005 23:45

Wish the Stones did that. The Dead were also great with mixing up the set lists.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: March 29, 2005 21:15

Caught Dylan at Pantages...man what a great show. I usually skip the openers, but that Amos Lee really is sharp. Merle was very good as well, although he complained about not getting to hang out on Bob's bus & that he should be the headliner. Certainly made me think the ol' timer still hadn't learned how to be a pro. Dylan came on & the place was really jumping. I have seen Dylan 20+ times & this was maybe the tightest I have heard him. He was really working to connect with the audience, if by no other means than an attempt to sing clearly.

Having 3 acts all very worthwhile...in a theatre...this show was the tits. Anyone who has a shot at catching it...should! Dylan is just DAMN good.

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: March 29, 2005 21:29

Sdstonesguy is right on the mark! I saw three of Dylan's five performances at the Pantages in Los Angeles and was blown away by how sharp they were. I wish I could drop everything and follow him to each of the remaining gigs on this tour. If Dylan is playing near you, check him out.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 29, 2005 22:07

I've posted on this before, but it bears repeating:

Dylan provides a perfect example for the Stones:

1. Charges reasonable ticket prices. I paid $45US last summer to see Willie Nelson, Hot Club of Cowtown (good swing band) and The Bob. I was about 15 feet from the stage. This theater tour he is doing now is a little pricier, but it looks to me like top ticket is about $125US

2. Works constantly, even after almost dying a couple of years ago. Records with some regularity.

3. Mixes his set-lists up practically every night.

4. Does different arrangements of his "war-horses". Gets something new out of even his most well-known songs.

5. Never bows to market trends. Doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator, so as to not miss getting a little extra revenue.

No question that Bob's legacy will be one of commitment to his music and to his audience. A professional great.

Here's to the Stones attempting to acheive something other than a new ticket dollars record.

Karl

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 30, 2005 06:54

My wife and I saw Zimmy at the Pantages, too.
Great show. One of the best times I've seen him.
Too bad he doesn't have Charlie Sexton playing with anymore, though.
Great arrangements and great song selection, however.
Thumbs up to his harp playing, too.
I know his harp playing is an acquired taste, but it was great nonetheless.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 4, 2005 21:23

I saw 2 shows at the Pantages - Tuesday and Friday. The setlists were almost completely different for both shows, therefore providing 2 extremely different concert experiences.

The first night I had 5th row seats and the sound was excellent. The band is absolutely amazing.

The second night I was up in the balcony on the far right, and while it was still excellent by any standards, the sound was a bit cramped with the pedal slide being the loudest of all the instruments. The screaming pedal steel slide licks were awesome though, and added a sweet touch to the overall sound.

As far as Charlie Sexton is concerned, he wasn't really missed at all by me. The 2 guitar players Bob has now stand head over heals above Sexton who sometimes tried to showboat and steel the limelight from Dylan the last several tours.

By the way, what happened to him and the other guitar player? Were they fired by Bob?

Date: April 5, 2005 02:15

the other guitar player,Larry Campbell left the band recently of his own accord after 7 odd years to pursue other interests........

Date: April 5, 2005 02:21

charlie sexton did likewise a while back..........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home