Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: What was your biggest "Stones"-Disappointment?
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: February 10, 2005 21:09

the "sound" in Anaheim 78.

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: February 10, 2005 21:10

The last 4 new songs

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: February 10, 2005 21:23

Standing in front of the Roseland Ballroom that evening in 2002 without a ticket and not having the slightest chance to get one and get in...

Well, now, some years later, it's just another show I missed for me, but then I was sooo dissappointed...

Posted by: SixtiesDave ()
Date: February 11, 2005 01:38

No solo Keith album in the years between "Bridges" and the new one, when it comes...

Posted by: jigsawpuzzle ()
Date: February 11, 2005 19:52

Philly 1978

Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: February 11, 2005 20:34

I have to agree with midrampler, with possibly the mild exception of Don't Stop the new songs on Forty Licks were really dissapointing. Hopefully they are saving the good stuff. Another is not getting an official club gig in Toronto, Massey Hall would be absolutely ideal.

Posted by: apolodoro ()
Date: February 12, 2005 00:07

Gimme shelter in licks tour (stadium shows), no doubt, and Ronnie's live playing since 1989.

Date: February 19, 2005 23:16

wait and wait for the new album. I think----they retired

Posted by: ALAN ()
Date: February 19, 2005 23:33

the licks bootlegs,the guitar sound is not there anymore,no comparison to the early 70s.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: February 20, 2005 02:07

'Dia dhuit' to all,

Biggest disappointment? Well,being a die-hard fan of this band,it's tough watching some of the slapdash live-videos from the '70's.I'm talking from 1975 on,when Mick decided it'd be better to garble,drawl and moan the lyrics instead of sing them.Watching those performances is sometimes awful,Mick treating both the matrial and the audience with such contempt.Some truly woeful performances add to a major disappointment.In my opinion anyway,L.A. '75 is abysmal,and,some of the bootlegs from the '76 tour are even worse.By '81 they'd cleaned up a bit,but,the high-camp of the concerts and frivolity with which the material was treated was a bit much to take.

Ronnie's decline is sad to see too.But,much worse is Keith's.Okay,on some shows he still plays magnificently,but,I have to admit to seeing him in a lesser light these days.Does he play guitar anymore? It seems like he noodles about on the six-string,barely audible over the keyboards,when once the riffs thundered from him.Today,is the sound that fills the concert-venues more Chuck's goddamn piano than the twin-guitar axis of the Rolling stones? I guess it's pot-luck,some night's they are still the 'greatest r'n'r band..",other night's they're a third-rate covers-band.For instance,on the "Four Flicks" DVD,I loved MSG and Twickenham,but,thought some of the tracks from "Olympia" were terrible."Start Me up" sounds woefully out of tune,as do some others.

Album wise,I've loved the last few,VL,B2B,most of SW,and even have a fondness for DW and UC.They've revived thier slump in album-quality methinks,but,live,they leave a lot to be desired.I didn't even bother buying the "Live licks"-first new stone album I haven't bought since VL.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-20 02:21 by IrelandCalling4.

Date: February 20, 2005 02:17

Darryl Jones

Posted by: ALAN ()
Date: February 20, 2005 10:14

i would also like to see the stones plus the saxaphone players and chuck minus his (1,2,3,4) at the start of every song on stage,forget all these guests and backing singers they kill Tumbling Dice and lets get back to a rock concert.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 20, 2005 14:25

-That Keith allows anyone besides himself to lead the band. And even worse someone like Leavell.
-Wyman actually leaving. Writing the TERRIBLE "Stone Alone" book.
-The four new cuts on 40 Licks.
-The two "new" cuts on Flix.
-"Rocks Off" live evertime.
-The demise of Ron Wood
-"Primitive Cool"
-The lawsuit against Richard Ashcroft from the Verve.
-The Stones not getting it together after "Dirty Work" and/or getting it together for LiveAid. I would have preferred a tattered Stones over Jagger and Tina with Hall&Oates.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: February 20, 2005 15:57

Mine was very minor:

During BTB I saw three consecutive shows, and I was disappointed that I saw You Got Me Rocking in two of them and The Last Time in only one.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: February 20, 2005 18:02

None. Collectively this whole thing is perfect.

Posted by: tramp66646 ()
Date: February 20, 2005 23:51

That they didn't play Vancouver Canada on their last tour, and that I was too young to see them live in 1972.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: February 21, 2005 00:13

I agree with Rorty about Helsinki 2003. I know what autopilot means too after that show. Really big difference to Helsinki 1998 when they were brilliant. Ron stopped playing several times just to walk after his cigarettes etc. Even Charlie looked tired and played uninspired and he and Darryl even screwed up the tempo change in YCAGWYW. They didn't play MR or CYHMK, and Keith played the same songs as Helsinki 1995, SA and BTMMR. Angie was awfully uninspired. Bad, cheap sound. I hate to say but Macca rocked ten times harder last summer in Helsinki. His band and sound was simply MUCH better and Paul made ten times better contact with the audience.

Date: February 23, 2005 22:45

.......live licks-----

Date: February 24, 2005 05:38

Being back stage at SARS, seeing keith rid up in a golf cart, walk up the stairs, and insted of going left(towards me) he goes right

ALSO

LIVE LICKS ___ BIG DISAPOINTMENT
AS WAS ASTORIA

Posted by: Mickjagg65 ()
Date: February 24, 2005 05:51

On the topic of sars fest, i've been telling my boy how the stones are the best band ever, we w/in 60 feet from the stage, and out of nowhere ac/dc blows the stones away

Posted by: roby ()
Date: February 24, 2005 18:37

1/ Bridges to babylon
2/ Paris Stade de France 2003
3/ Live Licks

Date: February 28, 2005 22:48

and----Stones concert 76 in Münster

Posted by: munin ()
Date: February 28, 2005 23:35

the background singers since 1989
the guitars since 1989

Posted by: mistress ()
Date: February 28, 2005 23:56

only one gig in Hungary - which I could not attend...

"...she might be Hungarian..."

Date: March 6, 2005 21:46

The long waiting of new stuff
Sure they have a lot.--so come on---youre the greatest Rockn roll Band
Think of your Million-fans around the world
Come on---and bring a Great Album!

Posted by: stonedINvirginia ()
Date: March 7, 2005 03:53

1. Waiting for hours in line with a friend to pick up Stones lottery tickets he got for for a 81 show at MSG, only to have him used the ticket on some chick! I've seen them 7 times, but never at MSG. :-(

2. Saturday Night Live appearance in 78 - Jagger's vocals on Shattered (was the other song Miss You or Respoectable?) was atrocious and the overall performance was subpar.

3. Steel Wheels (the whole album), but the tour was quite good in comparison.

4. Emotional Rescue (the song)

5. Mick Taylor leaving the band

6 69 tour marred by Altamont

7. Sympathy for the Devil movie (that is, all that avant garde crap beside the Stones in the studio!)

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: March 7, 2005 19:02

My biggest dissappointment is that I never get to see the Stones in a small venue. The tickets are always long gone - it's best to see them 'close up' as I did in Bingley Hall, Stafford in 1977.

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: March 10, 2005 22:22

Yeah, that i got no ticket for the Circus Krone show 2003

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 11, 2005 00:18

Waiting impatiently for the new Emotional Rescue album release...and then hearing the new single (Emotional Rescue) on the radio.

The bubble was burst, and the Stones weren't the greatest anymore.

Posted by: elmolewis ()
Date: March 11, 2005 00:56

1) Brian being forced to leave the band.
2) Brian's unfortunate death (on my 16th birthday no less).
3) Keith's declining guitar skills since the 60's - early 70's. ("Down The Road Apiece" being a classic example of how good he once was).
4) Ronnie's declining guitar skills since his Faces days. (What the hell happened there?!! Too many stouts?)
5) Bill leaving the band
6) Mick Taylor leaving the band. (I've always been a huge Faces/Ronnie Wood fan, but in all honesty MT's playing was FAR superior).

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home