Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

NEW VIRIGIN RECORDS RELEASES?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 27, 2005 19:10

hi, did anybody get the new remastered verisons of the stones from s.fingers to tattoo you?
i got exile from virigin records and it said that they remastered it...wow what a difference! i never cared for exile before. it had a skip on it..so i got a new one...i'll tell you that it is sooooo much better than my 1986 version. i love exile now! so much more alive. jagger comes off better. you can hear every note! on tattoo you they said that slave is a min longer then the 1st release.
i just ordered iorr, so i want to see if that sounds a good..if thats better than i'm going for ghs... does anyone have them? and what did you think?

Re: NEW VIRIGIN RECORDS RELEASES?
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 27, 2005 19:21

Luxury was about a minute longer on the remastered virigin releases.

Posted by: Kingen ()
Date: January 27, 2005 19:27

what a waste since we are waiting for a dvd-audio recording for all good albums that would be the ultimate.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 27, 2005 19:30

>>Luxury was about a minute longer on the remastered virigin releases.

The same with SLAVE on the Collector´s edition of tattoo You

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 27, 2005 19:33

Is the Collectors Editions the ones that look like the original LPs??? 'Cause then I have SF, EOMS, IORR, BAB, SG and TY.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 27, 2005 19:42

I'm not thrilled with the dvd audio I've heard from my friends. The Virgin releases are all superior to the 80s versions, -- imo they are quite good for '94 - when they came out. They could be (& may be in the next couple years, when the RS tour) upgraded again. Some - including Exile -still sound better on first (US, in EOMS's case, as it was first mastered in the US) vinyl pressings. Some Girls is imo better (much warmer, more impact, better low end) on UK vinyl or Dutch pink vinyl edition. The best E.Rescue I've heard is the Japanese vinyl. In addition to Luxury, Wanna Hold You has the verse missing from the original '83 Atlantic version and Tattoo You has the longer 6:34 version of Slave, which is definitely superior - more Sonny Rollins, more Keith & Ron, etc.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 27, 2005 19:52

Both SACD and DVD-A formats are dead. Two new tecnologies are emerging - Sony's Blue Light and HD-DVD - they will take over as the two new high-end formats later this year. Sony has already stopped production on any new SACD releases.

Date: January 27, 2005 20:08

hi t&a
will they be better than the remastered put out by virgin?
i have a rega, planet cd player and my new exile as well as sony's hybird sacd released in 2002 from the klein years sound great. will the new formats need a new player?

Date: January 27, 2005 20:54

T&A, I think you are rigth on the SACD (which is a complete waste), but the Blue Light and HD-DVD has nothing to do with audio, it is only HD picture quality, still dvd-audio is the best sound there will be?

Date: January 27, 2005 21:46

Kingen - incorrect. Blue Light and HD-DVD support both audio and video. These will be the two competing formats for the next (at least) few years. And, HOT STUFF, yes, you will need a new player to play them. The new players will of course be backward compatible with all the other, older major formats (audio & video).

I have a well-placed source within Sony - you can trust this information. Big Blue Light campaign is scheduled for the fall, hoping to cash in on next Xmas season....

Date: January 27, 2005 21:54

I have never seen that these 2 formats will have more advanced sound than dvd audio, please refer me to such info, thanks.

Date: January 27, 2005 22:00

The formats (both) by themselves don't provide the enhancement of audio sound. They have larger storage capacities, thus enabling/supporting enhanced audio capabilities through emerging technologies.

Date: January 27, 2005 22:13

So, then it will take another year for a better sound format and 50 years for Stones to release anything on it!?!

Date: January 27, 2005 22:30

No - not necessarily. I know Sony has already developed a first-gen technology they will use on Blue Light. My contact said that the results are pretty impressive. I think the key with both of these technologies is that they "enable" expansion of the sound spectrum....something that SACD and DVD-A started to do, as well. This allows future technologies to ride on this format without having to find a new medium for distribution (at least for awhile).

Date: January 27, 2005 22:43

So can you compile all Stones albums on 1 disc? with better sound?

Date: January 27, 2005 22:57

I think the capacity would support something like 10 albums - at least with the current technology they are anticipating....

Date: January 27, 2005 23:16

So a 10 album Stones greatest hits! Cant wait.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 28, 2005 00:39

I fit all the Stones studio albums from Exile thru Dirty Work
on cd disc encoded as MP3's at 192kb. Plays well on DVD and portable
cd players with MP3 capability. So big deal to a new improved disc
for wav files, IMHO, is just another commercial rip off.

So now, will we know longer be a ble to play the SACD layer
on our Stones discs on the new players? If not is shameless
bullshit plain and simple!

Date: January 28, 2005 01:14

Only idiot fans like me would buy improved sound releases if it makes sence such as dvd-audio or better. T&A saved me $1,000 on the new 5 dvd-audio player I was going to buy. If the future brings better quality it can only be good.

Date: January 28, 2005 02:23

Possibly, but there's only so much anyone can do to
improve the limited technology used on older stuff
like the Stones. You gotta love it with it's limitations
coz I really don't think there's much more you can do to
fix it up. Except maybe hunt down best original releases
etc. And I wonder, has anyone ever really improved on
the Stones original vinyl releases? They werer made
with the limits in mind, to be stamped on crappy
vinyl and played on car adios and cheesy mono/
stereo systems with tubes instead of circuitry/
digital hardware etc.....................

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: January 28, 2005 10:22

TUBES RULE! I have a sweet little 12-watt integrated amp and I won't ever go back to solid state. You have to live with tubes to appreciate their superiority. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of things about digital music, but for pure sound I don't think they've yet improved on analog.

I'm sure the Stones, and other artists, love all these "improvements". More opportunities to flog the old catalog.

The Virgin reissues are nice-sounding.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: January 28, 2005 10:31

We are all being scammed with these "new" technical formats IMO. If a longer of Slave was re-released when CD's first came out we would have all been happy. The actual original records sounded just fine until we wore them out. The sound differences are so minute they are unimportant and barley noticable. They keep talking about HDTV and clarity.........I have a regular television and the picture is as clear as clean glass. They are trying to bamboozle all of us. In 2 years CD'S/DVD'S will be obsolete and everything will be on memory sticks as thick as chewing gum. Stop wasting your money. They are feeding us new formats like food pellets to rats in a cage. Just my opinion.

Milo, NYC
Let's get some Puerto Rican Girls

Date: January 28, 2005 15:55

hi,
i somewhat agree... but the 1986 stones cd's were rushed to release and for the most part they suck! they cut off the open of wild horses, cut short all down the line, volume change on sweet v., etc and the sound is not very good when you compare the remastered cd's put out by sony and virgin. i can't get over the difference.. and i don't have to spend $1,000's on a new system.. i spent $8.00 for a new exile and i just spent $7.00 for iorr cd.. plus i got all the klein years...i'm in heaven..the stones sound better than i ever heard them.. it shows how truely great they are! the player just reads the cd's. if you have a good player and a bad recording then its going to sound bad. so with the remastered cd's we now have a better recording to be read by our player.. that makes for better music.....let it rock!

Date: January 28, 2005 18:02

the entire CD format was a rush to market. SACDs and DVD-A proved that the industry rushed to sell a product in the 80's - but showing us just how much we were missing. If you've had the chance to listen to SACD or DVD-A on a really good stereo, you know what I mean. I still go back to the vinyl's from time and time and just marvel at how much better they sound than their CD counterparts. It's astounding how well and much we were bamboozled.

KSIE is right - there is no way digital could improve on analog; it's a facsimile of the actual article.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: January 28, 2005 19:01

Hi there!

Did you buy these remastered Cd´s (Virgin) in the official site or in any retail store?

Date: January 29, 2005 00:55

Hey KSIE -Sounds like your vintage system with the tubes
really rocks. I remember this well, the rock literally
jumped out of your turntables, in a major tour de force
little matched by the more perhaps clean sounding
new digital technology. Glad to hear your
keeping the rock alive!

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: January 29, 2005 06:53

davido Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey KSIE -Sounds like your vintage system with the
> tubes
> really rocks. I remember this well, the rock
> literally
> jumped out of your turntables, in a major tour de
> forcele
> little matched by the more perhaps clean sounding
> new digital technology. Glad to hear your
> keeping the rock alive!

Tour de Force - isn't that a Kraftwerk disc?

I'm keeping the rock alive; but perhaps more clean sounding digital? Live with the tubes, walk with the tubes, breath the tubes, let the tubes talk to you my son - you will see the light!

Cheers :-)

Date: January 29, 2005 08:19

Ha ha!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2005 08:23

White Punks On Dope...does that sound good thru tubes?

ROCKMAN

Date: January 31, 2005 16:12

hi MARQUESS,
yes you can get the remastered cd's from virigin records from any store... i got mine from a web site called amazon.com
the early years are from sony and the rolling stones records are on virigin..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1634
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home