Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: ot: albums that you hated at first but like after repeated listens
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 21, 2013 02:45

The one that comes to mind is McCartney's Ram. I didn't hate it, but it just never did anything for me. Now I think it's on of Paul's best records.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 21, 2013 02:54

Living Colour, Time's Up
Rolling Stones, Voodoo Lounge & Emotional Rescue
Paul Simon, Surprise
u2, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Feist, Metals
all of Leonard Cohen's records (one of my favorites - the first time someone tried to turn me on to him I wasn't open to it; "this guy can't sing")

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: January 21, 2013 08:21

Sandinista

Posted by: Mimi73 ()
Date: January 21, 2013 10:04

U2 - the Joshuatree...still boring...
Beatles - Sgt Peppers...still from another star in another universe...
and:
Mick Taylor - a stone`s throw...at the first time it sounded hollow like an old thrown away bottle, without the right feeling...but now, Baby, there is the feeling!!!...except `blind Willy McTell`, still sounds strange...

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: January 21, 2013 11:11

Satanic and Black and Blue took some time but I like them a lot now.,

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 21, 2013 11:55

'Hate' is a big word...
But it took me years to like 'Exile...', 'Screamadelica' (Primal Scream) & 'On The Corner' (M. Davis).

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 21, 2013 12:19

Bowie's outside
Oldfield's Amarok
Dylan's Moder time and Love & Theft...

Stone's Black and Blue, it was my Stone's first album, and i returned it to the store and changed it by Hot Tuna's Last Vinyl.

Now i love all these albums...................

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 21, 2013 14:00

tattoo you

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 21, 2013 16:24

I first heard Exile when I was 14 (right when it came out) and didn't hate it, but was confused, as I was used to the hits on Rocks Off that I had been listening to every day. I had yet to be soaked in the blues, soul, and country music that I now love (that came later), so no wonder it didn't quite click with me then. One day I put it on and the world changed. I haven't been the same since.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 21, 2013 16:26

71Tele
I first heard Exile when I was 14 (right when it came out) and didn't hate it, but was confused, as I was used to the hits on Rocks Off that I had been listening to every day. I had yet to be soaked in the blues, soul, and country music that I now love (that came later), so no wonder it didn't quite click with me then. One day I put it on and the world changed. I haven't been the same since.

what are you like now?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 21, 2013 19:08

Dirty Work

Date: January 21, 2013 20:07

T&A
71Tele

what are you like now?

You don't want to know.

Date: January 21, 2013 21:20

71Tele
T&A
71Tele

what are you like now?

You don't want to know.

ok...then what were you like then?

Date: January 21, 2013 22:01

T&A
71Tele
T&A
71Tele

what are you like now?

You don't want to know.

A miserable teenager. If it hadn't been for the Stones, I don't know how I would have made it through.

Date: January 21, 2013 22:27

71Tele
T&A
71Tele
T&A
71Tele

what are you like now?

You don't want to know.

A miserable teenager. If it hadn't been for the Stones, I don't know how I would have made it through.

tell us more. and remember to include intimate details about the nature of the relationship with your mother.

Posted by: shugmaglumfer ()
Date: January 21, 2013 23:11

Queen 1 - Could not get round some of the songs.Keep Yourself Alive,Great King Rat,Doin All Right were instantly brilliant.Now most songs on that album are brilliant.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 21, 2013 23:40

The Cult's 1994 self-titled album. Gritty and raw, but slowly grows on you.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: January 21, 2013 23:48

Jethro Tull- Songs From The Wood
Rolling Stones- Undercover

Posted by: stones1962 ()
Date: January 22, 2013 00:47

Satanic Majesties - now I love it.

Rob

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 22, 2013 01:00

about 75% of all albums I buy seem to fit in this category.

Date: January 22, 2013 01:25

BluzDude
about 75% of all albums I buy seem to fit in this category.

maybe you should just stop all the hatred....the worst you could do is be 25% wrong.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 22, 2013 08:03

Bob Dylans debutalbum...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 22, 2013 08:13

Didn't get all the hype about "The Velvet Undergound & Nico," until I got to college, and damn if that album doesn't sound AMAZING when played in a dorm room.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 22, 2013 15:48

canadian.sway
As far as Stones content goes... Undercover. Laughed at it the first few times, but fell in love with She Was Hot and the next thing I knew I was digging the whole album.

Other bands... Joy Division. The first time I heard Ian Curtis's voice I thought "I can't believe someone let him sing... and I can't believe people worship these guys."

Next thing I knew they became my favourite band for a couple of years.

My thoughts exactly about Undercover

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 22, 2013 18:13

Albums - isn't that a thing of the past? And how many albums today are worth listening to repetedly? When was the latest time you spent so much time on one album?

Date: January 22, 2013 18:26

Stoneage
Albums - isn't that a thing of the past? And how many albums today are worth listening to repetedly? When was the latest time you spent so much time on one album?

true. albums are so twentieth century. our collective attention spans and inability to focus have put the premium on songs, not albums. anyone who disagrees is lying.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 22, 2013 18:36

T&A
Stoneage

true. albums are so twentieth century. our collective attention spans and inability to focus have put the premium on songs, not albums. anyone who disagrees is lying.

I do disagree in this instance, in that not only do I listen to rock, country, blues, jazz inter alia, but I also listen to classical music. Classical music does require an attention span, be it Mozart, Talis, or Glass.

Date: January 22, 2013 18:43

tomcasagranda
T&A
Stoneage

I do disagree in this instance, in that not only do I listen to rock, country, blues, jazz inter alia, but I also listen to classical music. Classical music does require an attention span, be it Mozart, Talis, or Glass.

chopin doesn't....chopin is perfect for the 21st century music enthusiast

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 22, 2013 19:10

Chopin can be notoriously difficult to master: Alan Rusbridger in his book "Play It Again" struggled, not just with the Leverson Enquiry, but with mastering Ballade No 1 in G Minor by Chopin. Focussing on 9 minutes of Chopin is complicated enough.

Date: January 22, 2013 19:17

tomcasagranda
Chopin can be notoriously difficult to master: Alan Rusbridger in his book "Play It Again" struggled, not just with the Leverson Enquiry, but with mastering Ballade No 1 in G Minor by Chopin. Focussing on 9 minutes of Chopin is complicated enough.

you're being too difficult. work with me. i'm trying to help the iorr community adapt to the current environment.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home