Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: O.T. Some Steve Winwood-fans here?
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 7, 2013 02:06

Always amazed me they released this one in '66

great one

Funny one

Date: January 7, 2013 02:26

StonesTod
keefriffhard4life
what is steve winwoods best studio album since 1990?

about time (2003). if you liked traffic, you'll love it. if you didn't like traffic, you'll love it. ok, enough about traffic, i guess.

love traffic

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 7, 2013 03:55

keefriffhard4life
StonesTod
keefriffhard4life
what is steve winwoods best studio album since 1990?

about time (2003). if you liked traffic, you'll love it. if you didn't like traffic, you'll love it. ok, enough about traffic, i guess.

love traffic

Traffic co-founder and co-songwriter Jim Capaldi also has released solo work you might be interested in.

Oh How We Danced (1972)
Whale Meat Again (1974)
Short Cut Draw Blood (1975)
Play It By Ear (recorded 1976-77, never released)
Daughter of the Night (1978)
The Contender (1978)
Electric Nights (1979)
The Sweet Smell of ... Success (1980)
Let The Thunder Cry (1981)
Fierce Heart (1983)
One Man Mission (1984)
Some Come Running (1988)
Prince of Darkness (greatest hits compilation; 1995)
Living On The Outside (2001)
Poor Boy Blue (2004)
Dear Mr Fantasy: The Jim Capaldi Story (four-disc boxed set; 2011)

That's Love from 1983's Fierce Heart has Steve Winwood on synth, who also makes a cameo in the promo video. His biggest U.S. hit, it made #28 in summer 1983.

Shoe Shine is from 1979's Electric Nights.

From 1975's Short Cut Draw Blood, his cover of Love Hurts was Top 5 in the UK [#4].

From the same album as Love Hurts, the song It's All Up To You became his first UK Top 40 hit [#27] in 1974.

From his first solo album in 1972, the song Eve.

Date: January 7, 2013 04:02

thanks, i didn't know jim did much solo

Posted by: ash ()
Date: January 7, 2013 11:45

I'm not a fan of Stevie's voice (or Marriot for that matter). Can't stand that blue eyed soul thing. Think i've got all his work up to and including Blind Faith but it just doesn't do it for me.
On the other hand he is an amazing musician - brilliant keyboards and a pretty mean guitar player too, well-loved and respected by everyone who played music in the sixties (with the possible exception of Dave Mason). The guy jammed with Hendrix and is on Electric Ladyland. I think my lack of appreciation for his singing is very much my problem. Respect is due.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 7, 2013 13:20

I have Oh How We Danced and Whale Meat by Capaldi. Raven reissued them, some time ago, as a 2 for 1 cd.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 7, 2013 16:53

ash
I'm not a fan of Stevie's voice (or Marriot for that matter). Can't stand that blue eyed soul thing.

stevie's eyes are hazel

Date: January 7, 2013 16:59

StonesTod
ash
I'm not a fan of Stevie's voice (or Marriot for that matter). Can't stand that blue eyed soul thing.

stevie's eyes are hazel

What's Let It Loose, or Shine A Light, if not blue-eyed soul ?

Date: January 7, 2013 17:01

tomcasagranda
StonesTod
ash

stevie's eyes are hazel

What's Let It Loose, or Shine A Light, if not blue-eyed soul ?

don't ask me...my eyes are definitely blue, but i'm soulless...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 7, 2013 19:33

dear mr fantasy -great track gimmie some lovin -great track

Date: January 7, 2013 19:48

I happen to like the live Gimme Some Lovin' from Welcome to The Canteen.

I wonder if there's a complete set of that concert, and should UMG, or Island, reissue it ?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 7, 2013 19:51

I used to own "Arc of a Diver" (LP) and played it quite a bit when I was in college. Years ago I sold all my LPs. I don't miss it.

Date: January 7, 2013 19:53

Koen
I used to own "Arc of a Diver" (LP) and played it quite a bit when I was in college. Years ago I sold all my LPs. I don't miss it.

Island / UMG cocked up the reissue of Arc, as the 2cd set is a touch thin gruel. Single edits and a BBC Radio 2 profile do not a 2cd set make.

Date: January 7, 2013 19:53

Koen

that's right. it comes from the 1980's. all those lps can be sold and not missed.

Date: January 7, 2013 20:03

StonesTod
Koen

that's right. it comes from the 1980's. all those lps can be sold and not missed.

Beg to differ: Arc and Back In The High Life have some hidden depths to them. A bit like John Martyn's Glorious Fool.

Date: January 7, 2013 20:12

tomcasagranda
StonesTod
Koen

Beg to differ: Arc and Back In The High Life have some hidden depths to them. A bit like John Martyn's Glorious Fool.

it's just easier to dismiss the entire decade rather than trying to locate a handful of hidden gems. simplification is the key to a happy existence. or something.

Date: January 7, 2013 23:50

tomcasagranda
Koen

Island / UMG cocked up the reissue of Arc, as the 2cd set is a touch thin gruel. Single edits and a BBC Radio 2 profile do not a 2cd set make.

agreed i was excited when it was announced and then i saw the product and said never mind

Date: January 7, 2013 23:54

keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda
Koen

agreed i was excited when it was announced and then i saw the product and said never mind

The completist in me made me buy it; I almost wish I didn't.

I just wish Island / UMG would reissue Steve Winwood related material with excellent bonus tracks, like they did on the last John Barleycorn Must Die 2cd set. With Arc, there was a sense of perfunctoriness.

Date: January 8, 2013 00:13

tomcasagranda
keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda
Koen

The completist in me made me buy it; I almost wish I didn't.

I just wish Island / UMG would reissue Steve Winwood related material with excellent bonus tracks, like they did on the last John Barleycorn Must Die 2cd set. With Arc, there was a sense of perfunctoriness.

i need that new john barleycorn set

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home