Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Why Does Everything Have To Be So Secretive With The Rolling Stones?
Date: December 21, 2012 20:04

NoCode0680
JumpinJackOLantern
NoCode0680
Lots of bands are secretive like that. There are bands that are worse. It's a good promotional tactic. Secrecy leads to speculation, which leads to anticipation, until the fan base is up to a nice boil.

Just name me one that rivals the Rolling Stones in secrecy! So they like to boil their fans?

Pearl Jam

I don't know if THEY are the ones who are so secretive, or the people who run their website, but they act like they're protecting state secrets over there. About 10 years ago news about a couple of unreleased outtakes came out, outtakes that would end up on the B-Sides/Rarities collection "Lost Dogs" less than a year later. The thread in which the people were discussing it disappeared after about 5 minutes and a handful of replies, and the people who were discussing it (my brother being one of them) were all banned from posting. They didn't share the files, nobody even had copies, they were just discussing it, and in order to keep the secrecy (I think it was announced a month or two later) they banned them. I've never heard of The Rolling Stones banning fans from their message boards for having inside information.

That's just one example, I could go on longer. I don't really have a problem with it (except for that one particular incident, but I think that's more the moderators than band policy) as it's just a marketing technique. It does build anticipation, etc. Without waiting, build-up, anticipation it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

So what you are saying is that it is a scripted marketing technique designed to build anticipation? Sort of like foreplay. OK, I can accept that. That is definitely a plausible reason as to why everything is so secretive with them. Thank you very much.

Date: December 21, 2012 20:33

talkcheap
Maybe they don't have any plans, just rolls along

They definitely have plans it's just that they are unwilling to share them with their fan base until the last possible moment. Maddening, isn't it?

Date: December 21, 2012 20:52

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
Damn it can be frustrating following these guys! We wait five years to get five shows and now they go silent once again! Why can't they just inform their fans what their plans are? Are you telling me they have no plan? I can't buy that. Why does everything have to be shrouded in mystery? Why all the secrecy? Why all the drama? Why can't they just come out and say they are planning a tour next year? Planning a new album? Or, if they are going to quit, then just say so! Do you think they honestly don't have a clue? And what's with all the teasing? The Coachella thing from the other day is the latest example. The last five years nearly drove me insane! Not sure I can take much more of this!

A few weeks ago you were elated that they were doing something. Months ago you were elated that something was going to happen. Prior to that you were drooling that something might happen. And now you're frustrated? After all that activity?

What more do you want? They DID something.

They don't need to inform anyone about anything - they already did. There is no mystery when there is nothing mysterious - there is nothing now. They recorded two songs, released a hits album and did 5 shows. It's done. The hits album was all about the 5 shows. There was nothing more than that. That's it. The hits album will be dropped from promotion and the new songs will fade away, just as fast as everything else they've released since Start Me Up.

This isn't an issue of what they did or didn't do relating to band activity. They did plenty with the five shows. They could retire tomorrow and I could die a happy man. The issue rather is about them not being as forthright with their fan base as they could be. How difficult would it be for them to say that they are planning a tour next year with details to come later? If they are planing an album why not just say they are planning an album? Instead they like to drop hints - tease us. Like a cat owner dangling a toy mouse on a string in front of the family cat then withdrawing it. The fan base has been more than patient over the last five years while they supposedly worked out their so called differences on the the way to their 50th anniversary. All I am asking for is a little less secrecy and a little more forthrightness from them in regards to their future plans.

Go listen to Tattoo You, an album with zero details, and come to grips with the fact that you ask way too much of something that can't hear you and doesn't read it either and, really, realistically, doesn't care.

It's not that they are not listening - they are. And it's not that they don't care - they do. Maybe this thread will open their eyes a bit and they become a little less secretive with their fans in the future? Let's hope so.

Date: December 21, 2012 21:21

More secrecy! Ronnie is married!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 21, 2012 21:24

I could not care less about the secrecy.. I trust them to know best what/when to reveal info publically..... and facts be known, I really dont care about thsesthings until they do tell.

Date: December 21, 2012 21:27

Max'sKansasCity
I could not care less about the secrecy.. I trust them to know best what/when to reveal info publically..... and facts be known, I really dont care about thsesthings until they do tell.

So you love the foreplay? I used to but enough is enough. I endured five years of Rolling Stones Event Foreplay. That's my limit.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: December 22, 2012 04:25

Now that Mick and Keith see that the world did not come to an end yet, they can go forward with 2013 touring plans and soon make an anouncement when the venues are set up. Keith mentioned the mayan calendar thing at an interview for Crossfire Hurricane! lol

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 22, 2012 06:13

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
Damn it can be frustrating following these guys! We wait five years to get five shows and now they go silent once again! Why can't they just inform their fans what their plans are? Are you telling me they have no plan? I can't buy that. Why does everything have to be shrouded in mystery? Why all the secrecy? Why all the drama? Why can't they just come out and say they are planning a tour next year? Planning a new album? Or, if they are going to quit, then just say so! Do you think they honestly don't have a clue? And what's with all the teasing? The Coachella thing from the other day is the latest example. The last five years nearly drove me insane! Not sure I can take much more of this!

A few weeks ago you were elated that they were doing something. Months ago you were elated that something was going to happen. Prior to that you were drooling that something might happen. And now you're frustrated? After all that activity?

They don't need to inform anyone about anything - they already did. There is no mystery when there is nothing mysterious - there is nothing now. They recorded two songs, released a hits album and did 5 shows. It's done. The hits album was all about the 5 shows. There was nothing more than that. That's it. The hits album will be dropped from promotion and the new songs will fade away, just as fast as everything else they've released since Start Me Up.

This isn't an issue of what they did or didn't do relating to band activity. They did plenty with the five shows. They could retire tomorrow and I could die a happy man. The issue rather is about them not being as forthright with their fan base as they could be. How difficult would it be for them to say that they are planning a tour next year with details to come later? If they are planing an album why not just say they are planning an album? Instead they like to drop hints - tease us. Like a cat owner dangling a toy mouse on a string in front of the family cat then withdrawing it. The fan base has been more than patient over the last five years while they supposedly worked out their so called differences on the the way to their 50th anniversary. All I am asking for is a little less secrecy and a little more forthrightness from them in regards to their future plans.

Go listen to Tattoo You, an album with zero details, and come to grips with the fact that you ask way too much of something that can't hear you and doesn't read it either and, really, realistically, doesn't care.

It's not that they are not listening - they are. And it's not that they don't care - they do. Maybe this thread will open their eyes a bit and they become a little less secretive with their fans in the future? Let's hope so.

You missed the Tattoo You point. And just as with that tour, it's financial, although musically that album was their last blast. SHHHHHHH. The more secretive they are perhaps something, if they bother, will be better than anything since post-Tattoo You. I'm really hoping you can jump on that wagon instead of going on like you do.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 22, 2012 06:50

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern

Sure, JJ, they listen to fan boards like this and have their eyes opened by all the informative insight from their fans. I'm sure that we here at IORR are guiding their career decisions.

But hey, JumpinJackO, let's put your theory to the test. Let's open their eyes to a really great fan idea. Instead of being so secretive toward their fans in the future, maybe they could let their fans sublet their mansions while they're away on tour, for free of course, and only IORR fan club members of course, you know, just hang out and make sure Keith's lemon trees get watered, that sort of thing. Yeah, JumpinJackO, they'll listen to you. How about starting a thread titled something like 'Rolling Stones Fans Should Squat at Stones' Homes While Stones Are on Tour?' That way, fans can plan their vacations in their favorite places [rock star homes] and The Stones won't have to hire people to look after their homes while they're out and about on tour or visiting their other homes. Yeah, so JumpinJackO, why not open their eyes to some real practical career possibilities? Just to make them more accessible.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home