Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Here Is Your Last Great Stones Album!
Date: December 18, 2012 18:26

EddieByword
JumpinJackOLantern
Tour on this then call it a day!

Call it One More Shot

#1. One More Shot
#2. Plundered My Soul
#3. Under The Radar
#4. Do You Think I Really Care
#5. Following The River
#6. Don't Be A Stranger
#7. No Spare Parts
#8. Pass The Wine
#9. I'm Not Signifying
#10.So Devine
#11.Dancing In The Light
#12.Claudine
#13.I Love You Too Much
#14.Keep Up Blues
#15.You Win Again
#16.Good Time Woman
#17.Petrol Blues
#18.Doom And Gloom
#19.We Had It All

Put these songs all on one album in whatever order you like and you have an instant classic - better than Exile in my opinion. Tour on these next year!

You could also add 'Watching the river flow', the Dylan track the Stones did for the Ben Waters - Boogie4Stu - tribute............

Yes, absolutely. I forgot those two.

Posted by: charlystone ()
Date: December 18, 2012 18:28

I think is a great idea, i like this.- But, if all in this forum thing a little they look the stones dont stop in this time, before 2005, dont stop, shine a light, charmed life, jagger in the grammys, exile, some girls, plundered, no spare parts, jagger with black eye peace, with will a im, the stones with jimmy fallon, the recent tour, superheavy, all the time we doing something

Date: December 18, 2012 18:35

71Tele
JumpinJackOLantern
71Tele
So outtakes from Exile are "better than Exile"? confused smiley

Tele, sometimes I think you need to take a reading comprehension class. No, what I said was this compilation of songs I have listed beats the crap out of Exile. My opinion.

I know. Much of your list is outtakes from Exile, and you said this "album" would be "better than Exile"...oh never mind.

There are seven Exile outtakes on this compilation which has now grown to 25 songs with the addition of Hurricane, So Young, Watching The River Flow, Tallahassee Lassie, When Your Gone, and the tribute to Stu song. This compilation beats the crap out of Exile, in my opinion of course.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 18, 2012 18:36

marcovandereijk
Gazza
What a fantastic idea. Gather a collection of songs recorded over a period of about 40 years , cunningly pass it off as an 'album' (its ok, no one will notice that you're short on fresh ideas even though it was recorded with different personnel and tenuous musical continuity) and do a tour behind it. eye rolling smiley

Oh wait, theyve already done that. In 2002 and again in 2012.

And in 1981, perhaps.

They've missed a good chance with the Rarities compilation of a couple of years ago.
But I think we can all come up with a great set of unreleased outtakes that would make
a fine follow up for Tattoo You.

I dont really get the comparison, Marco. They werent short of ideas in 1981. Some of their finest albums had already included songs which were written for earlier records but which were unfinished. And theyd put out seven albums in a decade prior to that. Now its about one a decade. The oldest songs that were touched up for Tattoo You were about nine years old. If they went back nine years now for their next album, theyd only be going back as far as using leftovers from Bigger Bang! To go back now and dig out leftovers from their last five or six albums as they did in 1981, theyd be using recordings that would be so old they would have been made when Ian Stewart was still alive.

If any living band with three songwriters needs to pass off decades old material as 'new' recordings then it's pretty obvious that they're shot creatively. The Stones arent at that level and wont be resorting to that degree of barrel scraping, no matter how desperate some fans (not you) may be for a few crumbs instead of them actually taking the more sensible option of actually writing something new.

If theyre going to release 'outtakes' then release them as precisely that. Not packaged as 'new' material. Theyd be an absolute laughing stock if they did so. Even dead musicians dont have material recorded decades apart cobbled together as 'new' product - so theres no excuse for a living artist to do so.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: December 18, 2012 18:43

I find it very hard to understand how that list of songs is better than Exile. But then my experience is that I have been listening to Exile for forty years and it is in my DNA. As Jack White pointed out, there should be a kick drum as the drums start on Ventilator Blues but there isn't and that turns out to be what is so great about it. Exile is like that. Even the parts that make no sense, make sense. Exile has Ingredient X. In my view, these songs do not. Maybe if I listened to them a thousand times, I might feel differently but that ain't gonna happen. Personally I found most of the Exile bonus disc mediocre particularly Following The River and Pass The Wine. That being said, the bonus disc for Some Girls was much better to my ears but So Young is a big part of that. To avoid being totally negative, We Had It All would be a magnificent album closer and in fact would redeem Emotional Rescue (the album from which it is truly an outtake) if it replaced All About You. It would serve the same purpose as All About You - a bittersweet goodbye to Anita.

Date: December 18, 2012 18:46

Gazza
What a fantastic idea. Gather a collection of songs recorded over a period of about 40 years , cunningly pass it off as an 'album' (its ok, no one will notice that you're short on fresh ideas even though it was recorded with different personnel and tenuous musical continuity) and do a tour behind it. eye rolling smiley

All these songs were new to my ears in the last two and one half years. My guess is that they were also new to the ears of 95 to 99% of the concert goers that attended the recent five shows. Probably many of them have yet to hear them at all outside of Doom And Gloom and One More Shot.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 18, 2012 18:52

JumpinJackOLantern
All these songs were new to my ears in the last two and one half years.

did you buy some new ears recently or something?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: December 18, 2012 18:58

If the Stones were hoping to win the grammy for Laziest Album Of The Year then yes, by all means, release this record!

Date: December 18, 2012 19:09

Juniorjackflash
JumpinJackOLantern
71Tele
So outtakes from Exile are "better than Exile"? confused smiley

Tele, sometimes I think you need to take a reading comprehension class. No, what I said was this compilation of songs I have listed beats the crap out of Exile. My opinion.

Watchman,(sorry woman!) Come on, shows how little you know about music if you honestly believe this. Critics didnt like it on its release because Exile was ahead of its time!

literally think only plundered my soul would be good enough to make it on to the original exile.

What does one have to know before they are qualified to like or dislike a song? Music is very subjective. There are a lot of sheep in this world that let others do their thinking for them. I don't give a damn what some critic said back then, or what he/she is saying today. I decide what I think is great for me and if others agree then fine, if not, then fine also. To me a great album is one that keeps me coming back for more. I can't get enough of this compilation. I still like Exile but it doesn't move me in a way that I want to listen to it on a regular basis. I never thought much of Brown Sugar and I hate HTW. Still don't understand why so many people think Satisfaction is the best song ever, I can name at least 50 Stones songs that I like better.

Date: December 18, 2012 19:13

GumbootCloggeroo
If the Stones were hoping to win the grammy for Laziest Album Of The Year then yes, by all means, release this record!

I am afraid that honor goes to GRRR.

Date: December 18, 2012 19:18

Gazza
marcovandereijk
Gazza

And in 1981, perhaps.

They've missed a good chance with the Rarities compilation of a couple of years ago.
But I think we can all come up with a great set of unreleased outtakes that would make
a fine follow up for Tattoo You.

I dont really get the comparison, Marco. They werent short of ideas in 1981. Some of their finest albums had already included songs which were written for earlier records but which were unfinished. And theyd put out seven albums in a decade prior to that. Now its about one a decade. The oldest songs that were touched up for Tattoo You were about nine years old. If they went back nine years now for their next album, theyd only be going back as far as using leftovers from Bigger Bang! To go back now and dig out leftovers from their last five or six albums as they did in 1981, theyd be using recordings that would be so old they would have been made when Ian Stewart was still alive.

If any living band with three songwriters needs to pass off decades old material as 'new' recordings then it's pretty obvious that they're shot creatively. The Stones arent at that level and wont be resorting to that degree of barrel scraping, no matter how desperate some fans (not you) may be for a few crumbs instead of them actually taking the more sensible option of actually writing something new.

If theyre going to release 'outtakes' then release them as precisely that. Not packaged as 'new' material. Theyd be an absolute laughing stock if they did so. Even dead musicians dont have material recorded decades apart cobbled together as 'new' product - so theres no excuse for a living artist to do so.

Do you enjoy a fine wine any less because it has been in the wine cellar for decades? Of course not.

Date: December 18, 2012 19:21

StonesTod
JumpinJackOLantern

I have many sets. Some large, some small. Even have a set that look like Keith's.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 18, 2012 19:28

JumpinJackOLantern
StonesTod
JumpinJackOLantern

I have many sets. Some large, some small. Even have a set that look like Keith's.

XXL, then.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home