Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: On a scale of 1 to 10: How likely is a new album?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 17, 2012 18:04

Max'sKansasCity
Gazza
gotdablouse
Unfortunately I think Gazza's made an excellent point with the lack of a new album requirement in their current deal with UMG and the "carrot" for the next deal...unless it's UMG again and they could somehow resign early.

If they do, it would be a first. To the best of my knowledge, the Stones have never renewed an existing record contract. Certainly not since they left Decca anyway.

Theyve always chased the money and signed lucrative deals for a new label.

However, theyre at an unusual phase in their career where their last deal didnt require newly recorded product. As a result of this (and also because of the perilous state of the music industry) their advance was significantly less than it was for previous deals.

The bargaining tool theyve had in the last three decades when signing with Virgin, UMG and (to a degree) Columbia was their back catalogue. Even that has been milked to death by now, however so its less of an attraction for a prospective new label than it has ever been. And signing the Stones to a long term deal for new material makes no sense whatsoever considering their lack of output in the last couple of decades and the fact that their new albums, whilst good sellers, underperform in comparison to the advances that record labels have thrown at them.

The future for Rolling Stones product is in archive releases in various formats - both audio and visual - although thats more of a niche market, sales wise. One would imagine that any future deal would encompass all forms of media in order to make it practical.

Interesting, I didnt know any of that...
I always much appreciate it when you explain stuff liek this to us, Thank you Gazza

he's sorta our bill clinton - the secretary of explaining stuff...or something.

Date: December 17, 2012 18:05

Send It To me
From a marketing perspective, albums are helpful in promoting tours. Of course, it used to be the other way around.

yeah, remember that time all those people went out to see the stones cos of their killer a bigger bang record?

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: December 17, 2012 18:15

StonesTod
superrevvy

its true there's no money in the record, but with lotza guests and mick taylor on
the album, and timed right in this very poor market for albums, it will get
into the top 5, which is all they want, to promote their next mini/PPV tour.

no. they don't need a new album to promote anymore shows. they proved that with these five shows. there won't be a new album. we're sorry.

no they don't need a new album to promote five more shows for their dwindling
cult. all they need for that is mick taylor. but they do need something to
promote their next WWE Rockstravaganza PPV, and a guest-laden album would go
a long way in keeping this new business model alive, and provide legitamacy
for the shows having so many guests.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 18:17 by superrevvy.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: December 17, 2012 18:20

whoops, deleted, wrong thread

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 18:23 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 17, 2012 18:36

StonesTod
Send It To me
From a marketing perspective, albums are helpful in promoting tours. Of course, it used to be the other way around.

yeah, remember that time all those people went out to see the stones cos of their killer a bigger bang record?

Its more that they maintain the image of a current working band that isn't just a greatest hits/oldies act, even though that's essentially what they are. People didn't go to hear Bigger Bang songs, but the fact that they were putting out new music made the Rolling Stones brand better.

Date: December 17, 2012 18:41

Send It To me
StonesTod
Send It To me

Its more that they maintain the image of a current working band that isn't just a greatest hits/oldies act, even though that's essentially what they are. People didn't go to hear Bigger Bang songs, but the fact that they were putting out new music made the Rolling Stones brand better.

i doubt it had anything to do with a single ticket sold

Date: December 17, 2012 18:55

the grateful dead and allman brothers are just two examples of bands that lived on the road for decades, often with little or no new product to push. the stones, if they decide to continue as a live act, are certainly in that position. it's clear to me, based on these two new "tunes," that they have nothing left to offer in the studio (no crime there) and i can't imagine they could be bothered to even go thru the motions of putting out another record at this point, especially given its marginal profit potential....

Posted by: TomGreen ()
Date: December 17, 2012 19:11

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 17, 2012 19:21

o
jeroen

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 17, 2012 19:26

StonesTod
if you want to know what the stones are planning - listen to what ronnie says...and then expect the opposite. there won't be a new record - as gazza and others have indicated, there's not enough of a money draw there. and for the stones it's about the almighty dollar.

dammit - i was SOOOOOO looking forward to another exile....

Texas, never will happen. They are past their creative process and only after the money and you know it!

jeroen

Date: December 17, 2012 19:33

corriecas
StonesTod
if you want to know what the stones are planning - listen to what ronnie says...and then expect the opposite. there won't be a new record - as gazza and others have indicated, there's not enough of a money draw there. and for the stones it's about the almighty dollar.

dammit - i was SOOOOOO looking forward to another exile....

Texas, never will happen. They are past their creative process and only after the money and you know it!

jeroen

and i salute them. i've been past my creative peak since i was eleven and been after the money ever since. haven't found it but the search continues...

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 17, 2012 19:33

8/10.

I think they have it in them for one last album.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 17, 2012 19:56

StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
Gazza
gotdablouse
Unfortunately I think Gazza's made an excellent point with the lack of a new album requirement in their current deal with UMG and the "carrot" for the next deal...unless it's UMG again and they could somehow resign early.

If they do, it would be a first. To the best of my knowledge, the Stones have never renewed an existing record contract. Certainly not since they left Decca anyway.

However, theyre at an unusual phase in their career where their last deal didnt require newly recorded product. As a result of this (and also because of the perilous state of the music industry) their advance was significantly less than it was for previous deals.

The bargaining tool theyve had in the last three decades when signing with Virgin, UMG and (to a degree) Columbia was their back catalogue. Even that has been milked to death by now, however so its less of an attraction for a prospective new label than it has ever been. And signing the Stones to a long term deal for new material makes no sense whatsoever considering their lack of output in the last couple of decades and the fact that their new albums, whilst good sellers, underperform in comparison to the advances that record labels have thrown at them.

The future for Rolling Stones product is in archive releases in various formats - both audio and visual - although thats more of a niche market, sales wise. One would imagine that any future deal would encompass all forms of media in order to make it practical.

I always much appreciate it when you explain stuff liek this to us, Thank you Gazza

Good ole Unlce Bill and Uncle Gazza,
only thing is, they only reply to you if they think you yelled at them.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 17, 2012 20:07

"8. A REVERSE MORTAGE IS MORE LUCRATIVE THAN A NEW ALBUM THAT NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR"

Date: December 17, 2012 20:08

Max'sKansasCity
StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
Gazza
gotdablouse

it's a big responsibility being the voice of reason. especially when everything and everyone is so unreasonable. these men are stretched thinly...or something.

Date: December 17, 2012 20:25

StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
Gazza
gotdablouse

it's a big responsibility being the voice of reason. especially when everything and everyone is so unreasonable. these men are stretched thinly...or something.
And dont forget its Christmas time... and stuff

Date: December 17, 2012 20:30

Max'sKansasCity
StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
Gazza
gotdablouse

how could i forget? here in texas we do it right - been playing ernest tubb's christmas record non-stop since the month began. Merry Texas Christmas You All, indeed.

Date: December 17, 2012 20:38

StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
Gazza
gotdablouse

how could i forget? here in texas we do it right - been playing ernest tubb's christmas record non-stop since the month began. Merry Texas Christmas You All, indeed.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 17, 2012 21:54

It wouldn't surprise me if Witness is right, and they put out digital "singles" or "EP's" as and when they have (1) anything they think worth releasing or (2) anything to promote that a song or two would fit in with. They're between a rock and a hard place on this: their existing (older) fanbase buys physical albums, but won't like anything that sounds too modern, but after the Gorilla and all the new-technology stuff, I bet Mick will be trying to market to the digital generation - who will need something pretty spectacular to attract them. Doom & Gloom apparently hasn't been doing too badly, so maybe it's back to the singles market - if they can cut it?

Date: December 17, 2012 22:11

Max'sKansasCity
StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
Gazza
gotdablouse

i ask with all sincerity: does music get any better??? i answer with all sincerity: no.

Date: December 17, 2012 22:25

Ernest Tubbs is a hoax.

No real person could have that name.

Date: December 17, 2012 22:35

GravityBoy
Ernest Tubbs is a hoax.

have you ever visited our fair state? most of us have names far worse and very very few of us are hoaxes.....

Date: December 17, 2012 22:45

StonesTod
GravityBoy
Ernest Tubbs is a hoax.

have you ever visited our fair state? most of us have names far worse and very very few of us are hoaxes.....

I went to Rochdale once.

Is it like that?

Date: December 17, 2012 22:48

GravityBoy
StonesTod
GravityBoy
Ernest Tubbs is a hoax.

I went to Rochdale once.

Is it like that?

rochdale is a hoax...unless you meant rockdale...which if you meant, means that you were close to our best bbq place...in nearby lexington...

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: December 18, 2012 00:39

Date: December 18, 2012 01:36

three16

ok. how about if we expand the scale to 16...then what?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 18, 2012 01:53

If the scale was from zero to ten I would have put 0.

I see more Jagger albums and projects - no doubt about that.
I see nothing brand-new from Keith ever again. His tank is empty, One More Shot... Steve Jordan has a credit on that for crying out loud. He just doesn't write anymore.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: December 18, 2012 02:30

I think they will do shows in 2013 and 2014 as part of their "50 And Counting Tour." And they're not going to put out a new album as long as the current tour is still going on, because they've already put out their product for this tour - the two new songs and the new compilation.

I sincerely doubt they will ever tour again after 2014. That would make it 52 years together and 50 since their first American tour. Seems like a nice place to wrap up, particularly since they're all ancient and incredibly wealthy.

But stranger things have been known to happen. Maybe they take a year off and get back together in 2016 when Charlie will be 75 and Mick and Keith 73. And if they're bored and still healthy then, why not?

At that point, if they plan to tour I think they'd almost have to put out another studio album first. It would be way too soon for another compilation.

Maybe they could just put out a couple of new songs, this time with no new compilation attached, but I think they'd want the added publicity they'd get from news reports of a new Stones album. Even if most people didn't think it was that great and they only played a few new songs from it in concert (you know, like every album they've released after 1981).

I've liked at least parts of every new album they've put out since Tattoo You, so I'd welcome a new album. But I know I'm in the minority on both counts. If they do one, I think it would be great if they just covered a bunch of old blues songs and early rock 'n' roll hits with maybe a few originals in that spirit sprinkled in. Which would bring them full circle recording wise and would probably be quite a treat to listen to.

So, on a scale of 1 to 10 I say the likelihood of a new album is a 2. But only because I think there won't be another tour after the current one finishes. If there is, I say the likelihood is a 7.5.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 18, 2012 02:39

Steve Jordan has a credit on that for crying out loud. He just doesn't write anymore.

So what ....from memory Jordan gets a credit on about every Wino song

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: December 18, 2012 02:43

New Album - "The 50th Anniversary Concerts"

Really - is there any doubt?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1373
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home