Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: John Mayer to join The Rolling Stones on stage tonight, december 13.
Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 14, 2012 01:46

The Wick
Mick is a fan of Paisley I think.

Wow, really?? I think of him as liking R & B and pop singers more. That's great. Mick really could sing country tunes well if he didn't sing them like a parody.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 14, 2012 01:48

Finally, a true musician. Springsteen, Ga-goo, Aguillera...give me a break! Who's next...Justin Beaver?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 14, 2012 01:49

hbwriter
mayer is not a "wannabe" - he's an "is" - the guy is great - great to see young guys celebrating the blues

Exactly - I don't get the hate.

Date: December 14, 2012 01:50

Mayer is carrying the torch of true blues players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 01:51 by shadooby.

Posted by: ripthisjoint908 ()
Date: December 14, 2012 01:53

Not only is he a wonderful blues player, but he just put out a killer Americana album with Chuck L. on keys and produced by Don Was.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 14, 2012 01:56

Mayer traded licks with Paisley on the Crossroads show on CMT a few years ago.
And "Perfectly Lonely" is the best Stones song in years....
He always gets compared to SRV and Clapton, and while those are his touchstones, I always thought he was a great heir to Mick Taylor - those melodic and lyrical flourishes..... he's also influenced by jazz guitarists so it gives him that lighter touch.

Date: December 14, 2012 02:00

stupidguy2
Mayer traded licks with Paisley on the Crossroads show on CMT a few years ago.
And "Perfectly Lonely" is the best Stones song in years....
He always gets compared to SRV and Clapton, and while those are his touchstones, I always thought he was a great heir to Mick Taylor - those melodic and lyrical flourishes..... he's also influenced by jazz guitarists so it gives him that lighter touch.

Exactly...and how about guys like Paisley or Keith Urban being guest musicians instead of these flakes like Lady Ga-Ga or Bruce Springfield?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 14, 2012 02:00

Naturalust
Munichhilton
Naturalust
Blue
Munichhilton
Naturalust
As long as he doesn't sing and just plays his strat it could be interesting.

He is a damn good guitar player, unfortunately his pop compositions have not done him justice. peace

Don't you think he dips into the SRV bag of tools more then SRV even did?
He is good but unoriginal...Paisley think Paisley

Love Paisley, have his Mud on the Tires album...but the Stones, have they ever performed with a real country artist, it would be cool IMO.

Haven't checked out the Paisley stuff but thanks for the tip. As far as SRV tricks and tools, more power to him for diving into that man's technique. My impression is that he has a consioderable lighter touch that Stevie which makes for good melodic ballads and fills but fails a bit on the rockers.

I saw him do a couple of Hendrix tunes in Austin one night and he was on fire. Pulled off some tasty covers of Little Wing and Castles Made of Sand, which is difficult to do in that town of a guitar slingers. I was critical and was highly entertained. I expect he will play well tonight. peace

Cool. Check out some of Brad's playing. He is in the same realm as Jerry Donahue if you can believe that!
Heading to the Central Coast this week....hope its not too cold!!

I saw the Paisy clips in this thread and was pleasantly surprised. Thanks Gregg. Looks like he's been woodshedding with the Nashville cats.

It got down to freezing here on the coast last night for the first time after some nice 65-70 degree days. You will be fine as long as you don't try surfing without a wetsuit (again).

I on the other hand will be in Montana starting next week and probably freezin' my ass off. Happy Holidays and have a great visit! peace

It got down to freezing? Damn. Thanks for the heads up.
We'll save that jam session for some other time if you're not gonna be there...I wanna play through that Boogie.

I was gonna teach the girls surfing at Asilomar but we'll probably just dip our feet in...

Enjoy the top of America!
I wa

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 14, 2012 18:46

Munichhilton
Naturalust
Munichhilton
Naturalust
Blue
Munichhilton
Naturalust
As long as he doesn't sing and just plays his strat it could be interesting.

He is a damn good guitar player, unfortunately his pop compositions have not done him justice. peace

Don't you think he dips into the SRV bag of tools more then SRV even did?
He is good but unoriginal...Paisley think Paisley

Love Paisley, have his Mud on the Tires album...but the Stones, have they ever performed with a real country artist, it would be cool IMO.

Haven't checked out the Paisley stuff but thanks for the tip. As far as SRV tricks and tools, more power to him for diving into that man's technique. My impression is that he has a consioderable lighter touch that Stevie which makes for good melodic ballads and fills but fails a bit on the rockers.

I saw him do a couple of Hendrix tunes in Austin one night and he was on fire. Pulled off some tasty covers of Little Wing and Castles Made of Sand, which is difficult to do in that town of a guitar slingers. I was critical and was highly entertained. I expect he will play well tonight. peace

Cool. Check out some of Brad's playing. He is in the same realm as Jerry Donahue if you can believe that!
Heading to the Central Coast this week....hope its not too cold!!

I saw the Paisy clips in this thread and was pleasantly surprised. Thanks Gregg. Looks like he's been woodshedding with the Nashville cats.

It got down to freezing here on the coast last night for the first time after some nice 65-70 degree days. You will be fine as long as you don't try surfing without a wetsuit (again).

I on the other hand will be in Montana starting next week and probably freezin' my ass off. Happy Holidays and have a great visit! peace

It got down to freezing? Damn. Thanks for the heads up.
We'll save that jam session for some other time if you're not gonna be there...I wanna play through that Boogie.

I was gonna teach the girls surfing at Asilomar but we'll probably just dip our feet in...

Enjoy the top of America!
I wa

Thanks man, Happy Holidays to you and yours! peace

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 14, 2012 19:05

btw, I wonder how much Mayer's record company had to pay the Stones to get him a guest spot last night? I'm guessing $50,000. Probably a good investment. Pay to play is likely alive and well as it has always been. peace

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2027
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home