Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Sticky Fingers Restaurant" gets Michelin star!
Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: January 9, 2005 21:08

Read this in Daily News on Sunday today. Copied it fast so don't mind the typos please!

"
STICKY FINGERS RESTAURANT MICHELIN AWARDED

London yesterday- From our correspondent

Visitors of Chelsea, Kensington or Notting Hill, or indeed Greater London and the whole of England, have yet another reason to stay in these London boroughs, and this time it's of culinary nature.

'Sticky Fingers', former Rolling Stones' bassist Bill Wyman's restaurant, has been presented with an exclusive 'Star', the prestigious award from French conneurs and chefs of the 'Michelin' company. Michelin Stars, especially outside France itself, are very rare indeed. In London you won't find a dozen restaurants with this recognition, and now Wyman's rock inspired place is one of the lucky few. The critics appraised the excellent quality of the pièces served and the service and ambiance.

The news (or better: rumours) first turned up early this weak within circles of London's haute cuisine, and got official on Friday, when Wyman himself and his chef, Luc Pecheur, got a visit from a Michelin manager.

"I felt honoured", said Wyman, "but all the cheers should go to the chef and the staff. I think it's a fact now that rock'n'roll and food are an excellent and inspiring combination!"

Now of course, remains the hard task to keep up the good work, because Michelin awarded établissements usually get visited every year -- after which a dicision on the continuation of the status is made.
"

Re: "Sticky Fingers Restaurant" gets Michelin star!
Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: January 9, 2005 21:49

Best burger I've ever had. And watching the famous guitars and listening to Stones and Beatles (!) while eating made it an unforgettable evening.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 9, 2005 23:40

I've been to SF 4 times - in 1991,92,95 and 2003.

I thought it had actually gone downhill when I was last there and had become very overpriced and some of the staff quite surly. I think it had new management when I was last there, actually.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 9, 2005 23:44

I've been there several times but they'll never get a star. Great place though

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 10, 2005 00:47

I thought it was a great experience. As far as food went though, it was very mush along the lines of a Hard Rock cafe or any number of chains. It was unigue because the decor was so focused on the Stones, but the food was T.G.I. Fridays, Applebee's type stuff. I mean good portions and great quality, but not outstanding or exotic. I guess "dependable" might be a good description. I would go again, but just don't know how you can give the place a star and not extend it to anyoe of the franchises I have mentioned above.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 10, 2005 11:16

So if you sell burgers and fries you're a McDondalds, but if you sell burgers and fries for 20 pounds you're rewarded with a Michelin star? This is a joke right?

Mathijs

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 10, 2005 11:47

Yeah but Bill imports organic lettuces grown in another land.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 10, 2005 12:10

Well, I hope it's a joke, because the febo has better stuff than Bill. It's just a cover up fastfood joint with a guitar on the wall!

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 10, 2005 12:40

Or Flemish chips. Does Bill chop his own potatoes?

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: January 10, 2005 17:21

can you please explain what febo is ??

Date: January 10, 2005 17:54

Schuine Hondsbossche Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> can you please explain what febo is ??

So there is actaully a place in Holland were there is no FEBO around Schuine!
They do make a pretty good satekroket I must say. (but everything tastes good at 04:15 a.m.)

Date: January 10, 2005 23:21

The best satékroket comes from Charlie Chius, at central station/Hoog Catharijne, Utrecht!!!! An obligatory point of passage!!!

There is no FEBO either with us in Limburg Potted. It's Randstedelijk.
And I don't mind that. At least we don't have automatieken here that are covered in grease, and without even a little cartboard under your snack, like FEBO manages (not) to do. We have decent snackbars/automatics. And they don't close when the shops close either, but stay open till midnight or so, even in my village.

And why on earth haven't they changed that awful FEBO logo and that 1980's overrational corporate image? It's like walking into an office instead of a snackbar.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 11, 2005 01:20

No kidding, the Charlie Chiu HC is my friday afternoon ritual passage stop to celebrate the weekend. Only its satekroket reminded me of an involuntarily fried satesauce in which they hafd forgotten the sate. May I suggest the subtly flavoured nasi disk, with a hint of leek?

Best chips in town however is Frites van Henk on Vredenburg square, market days only. Freshly chopped potatoes. Double mayo for a mere 10 cents extra. Now where do you have that? And off course served burning hot. I just hate those lukewarm, anorectic fries like they serve at McD.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: January 11, 2005 01:32

I've never visited Henk, but there is the flemish friet place of course down at the escalators (the triple stairs) and then onto the square that has TWO krotketten in one automatiek-hole for a very moderate price. Pity it's always just closing when I pass by (I never manage to go for my meal on time). Luckily, Bram Ladage is opened longer. "Healthy fries", whatever.

Charlie Chiu's (my brother and I refer to it as CC) and its kroketten was our favorite place just before catching the last train to Limboland, even when we did our first tienertour in '92 or so.

Later at university, when I did a 'stage' at the NS headquaters place next to the busstation, I tried of course each and every snack they offer.

Have you ever noticed CC got the cheapest fricandel of the whole mall?

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: January 11, 2005 01:39

I'm so hungry right now after reading this thread - and the freezer is empty... Well acutally not empty but my roommate makes a diet right now and somehow he had to count ever slice of cheese and sausage and whatever that is in the freezer - so he will notice if I steal something... Damn I would love to have some of these "kroketten" right now!

Date: January 11, 2005 01:42

Damn so would I.

Let's start a new thread: "I'm hungry"

Kick your roommate. Dieting? In the good old days winking smiley university students didn't have enough money to gain weight.

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: January 11, 2005 01:52

Well, we (students) still don't have enough money to gain weight - but if you spend some time at home your whole family wants to feed you up, so you can certainly gain some weight during the holidays.

My roommate is constantly trying such strange things like diets - once he decided only to have breakfast and nothing to eat the whole day to save money. But he stopped that after a week when he got hallucinations and nose bleeding in the tube (no joke)!
Now I can tease him with eating Schnitzel while he's only having a lousy wholewheat bread.

Date: January 11, 2005 02:00

Schnitzel und Knödel! (how can you guys eat those bolls of dough? Anyway).
An old fashioned Wiener Schnitzel that is larger than your plate! Prätzle (?? those baguettes in a knot) und Frankfurter Bratwurst! Sachertorte! Bratkartoffeln! Mit Helles Fassbier! Schweinebraten! Eisbein mit Brot!
Getting hungry already?

I love the Vienna tube by the way. Nice and round. The S-bahn, however, why are their platforms that low? What a climb!

Date: January 11, 2005 09:56

Charlie Chiu has good stuff, that's true. You know you can buy a whole box of 'rauwe kroketten'at the FEBO and 'frituur' them yourself at home? It's like watching magic happen before your eyes at the 'frituurpan'!

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: January 11, 2005 10:14

Oh man, stop this talking on "satehkroketten". It is one of these things you can't get here in Basel. The same for "bitterballen". One of the few things greatly missed from Holland.

But to get back to the topic: a Michelin star for Sticky Fingers Restaurant seems strange. It is a nice place to go, but terrible expensive for what you get.
If you are in London, go then to "De Hems", a Dutch pub with real Grolsch beer in "beugels" and they serve "bitterballen".

SjH.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: January 11, 2005 11:05

Does Bill only serve burgers?

Date: January 11, 2005 14:04

No, he also serves members of the upper class.

Date: January 11, 2005 14:14

Limbostone Wrote:
> No, he also serves members of the upper class.

Briljant...........

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 11, 2005 17:18

Sticky Fingers?? a michelin star for expensive hamburgers?
They should have tasted my spaghetti!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 11, 2005 23:43

No, he also serves members of the upper class.

Well I haven't seen it for years but if my memory serves me well, Bill was in the video for Motorhead's - Eat The Rich.

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-11 23:55 by Rockman.

Date: January 13, 2005 17:26

Rockman, it's because burgers is dutch for common folks or civilians.

(OK, he didn't get a star. I made it up)

Date: January 13, 2005 17:39

Limbostone Wrote:
>
> (OK, he didn't get a star. I made it up)

Ok, you had your litte fun with us Limbo! But still you've got me hungry for TWO satekroketten in one hokje!

Date: January 13, 2005 18:20

No, YOU got me hungry for bringing that up again!

Anyway, bami and babi-pangang tonight. Healthy takeway from Lotus Restautant.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: January 13, 2005 18:28

i being there a couple of times and the food was great!!

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 14, 2005 01:44

Lotus restaurant, Landgraaf?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home