Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Opinions on Between the Buttons
Posted by: Blue ()
Date: November 30, 2012 14:26

Witness
Blue
She Smiled Sweetly is kind of a unique song with an unusual organ, It really grows on you, it's not Rock and Roll but I like it!

In its time I for one did not become fan of the Stones from one moment to the next. That was instead the result of a process in fact that took a couple of years, starting as early as 1964. "She Smiled Sweetly" was the very song that ended the process. Because if they could meet me also in that mood, I understood that they most certainly could cover almost any mood for me. I ended up as a fan.

BETWEEN THE BUTTONS is probably not their very best album, even if it is a good one. However, I think its my candidate to be their nicest album. I am very fond of it. It is not messianic or satanic, but more like an emotional friend. In other words: I sincerely love it.

[ I like to add: It is the UK version of BETWEEN THE BUTTONS that I relate to.]

It seems some of The Stones songs do take time to grow on you, until you realize how really awesome they are...this happened to me with some of the songs on EOMS...appreciating it so much more now than in 72.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 30, 2012 17:33

It's evocative, experimental, emotional and quite unique. I don't see it as just this album though, Have You Seen Your Mother, Ruby Tuesday and Lets Spend the Night Together are all part of the albums particular atmosphere.

Uk or US version works for me, just slightly different twists on the same stoned observations of the changing popular culture and lifestyle around them.

It is a perfect little time capsule of that inspired, but weird, searching, uncertain period that London found itself in during Summer 1966 - Spring 1967.

Basically, it's the stones freakbeat album.

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-30 17:39 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 8, 2012 04:09

Read somewhere that Back Street Girl & Please Go Home (notably the two trakcks omitted from the US release) are folddowns on the original UK mono release... The remainder should be a dedicated monomix. Always thought the early sixties albums should have been released on CD in mono with the available stereotracks as bonus.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 8, 2012 05:17

Britney - I can not go along with that. The stereo mixes show just how musical these songs are. When mixed in mono you lose a lot of that.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 8, 2012 08:08

slew
Britney - I can not go along with that. The stereo mixes show just how musical these songs are. When mixed in mono you lose a lot of that.

Opinions on the dedicated Between The Buttons mixes and the wide stereo versions differ so that's why it would be nice both mixes were available.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 8, 2012 12:19

Not a bad album, though too much like the Kinks

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 8, 2012 14:04

Some interesting melody lines, but a product on top of the pop era I don't like at all. Their Satanic and Between the Buttons are musical and commercial induced errors of a Rock and Blues Band in my opinion. I wouldn't be Stones fan if this concept would have been crowned with a longer success.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-08 14:06 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: December 8, 2012 22:44

Love this album. I think it was Keith who said that it were really good strong songs but that Oldham had screwed it up by trying to make it sound like the Kinks, and it probarly was the final drup that lead to the split between the Glimmers and Oldham, the Stones didn't want to play a song from it during their 1967 European tour which was supposed to promote the album (apart from "Yesteday's Papers). I think that was a silly thing to do by the Stones, because if the songs were good but the producing was bad in their opinion, than this tour was their oppertunity to proof how good those songs really were by playing them the way it should have sounded live on stage. It's a pity b.t.w. "Miss Amanda Jones" would have fitted very well with the new line-up and sound of the 1969 US tour,but alas.
However I disagree with the Stones own apraical of the album, I personally love the album very much and play it very often, Oldham did a fine job (as usual).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-08 23:16 by thabo.

Posted by: moonchild57 ()
Date: December 9, 2012 03:50

all in all a good record, a couple of clunkers but love Connection and the hilarity of Something Happened to Me Yesterday!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 9, 2012 05:37

Blue
She Smiled Sweetly is kind of a unique song with an unusual organ, It really grows on you, it's not Rock and Roll but I like it!

That's what she said...and why she smiled sweetly.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: December 9, 2012 07:13

Probably not so good

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home