Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Some questions about the TONGUE PIT
Posted by: benstones ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:00

As we can see on the pictures, the Tongue PIT is different than the Superbowl stage.

First of all, where is the BEST place to be inside the Tongue? Front row? Near the lips?? In the center??

Is the view good from everywhere??

Did the Stones walk all around the stage, especially in the "lips"?

And how do we enter in the tongue?????

Thank you for your answers!!

Benjamin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 02:00 by benstones.

Re: Some questions about the TONGUE PIT
Date: November 26, 2012 04:58

Those questions are for:

- gotdablouse
- straycatuk
- Flairville
- bv
- tonym
- Beast
- Kahoosier
- erikjjf
- KentishMen
- TomGreen (+1)
- latvianinexile
- Tropical_Disease
- Eismann (+1)
- Stoneswolf

The answers are not only for me but for all of the fans who will see the Stones the next times in London and NYC

Benjamin.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: November 26, 2012 09:49

bump!

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: November 26, 2012 11:06

As we can see on the pictures, the Tongue PIT is different than the Superbowl stage.

Yes, it is definitely smaller, maybe 300 people as the advance conjecture indicated. There was a lot of space to move around, particularly at the back.

First of all, where is the BEST place to be inside the Tongue? Front row? Near the lips?? In the center??

Well, it depends on preference. Keith staying stage right most of the time. Ronnie stage left and centre. Mick predominantly stage centre.

Is the view good from everywhere??

Inside the Tongue, i would say yes, although I stayed stage left throughout. My recommendation for buying tickets, is if you can't get a tongue ticket, buy ones on the lower tier blocks closest to it left and right. You are virtually wasting your time with the front floor blocks.

Around the Tongue Pit there is a perimeter gap about 2 to 3 meters deep, then a metal barrier fence around that. Then another gap (maybe another 2 meters) between the fence and front rows of the floor seats. At the show last night the security would not let people from the front floor blocks even go up to the fence, you had to stay in your seat. Okay I should qualify that, before the show started that is what I was told by the head security guy, when I asked if people would be allowed to stand against the barrier fence. I don't know what happened once the show started, as I headed off before then to complain to the Customer Services desk about the distance from the stage for a £406.00 ticket, and then got upgraded to the Tongue Pit, ha ha. It might be different in NY security wise though.

Did the Stones walk all around the stage, especially in the "lips"?

Yes, they were all pretty active. Mick as you would expect was the one to go out along the lips ramp most, typically from stage left. The middle of the lips are quite far out and he didn't go out as much as I thought he would. Keith and Ronnie went out there a few times and collectively similarly, but really not as much as could justify being in the front floor blocks.

If you could only afford to get a Tongue Pit ticket for one show, I recommend doing that instead of two shows in the front floor blocks. The tongue really IS the only place to be, sorry to say.

Second best option is the front lower tier blocks, i.e at the O2:

Stage Right - Blocks 112 (best) and 113, rows E to M (the front rows are too low down).
Stage Left - Blocks 101 (best) and 118, rows E to M (the front rows are too low down).

I'd think the corresponding lower tier blocks in NY too.

I originally had a Front Floor Block A3 Row D ticket and miraculously managed to get a free upgrade to the Tongue Pit, as I complained about being too far back for the money. Now that fact I thought that kinda tells you everything. From the other side of the outer tongue lips perimeter, is a long way from the stage.

And how do we enter in the tongue?????

There is an entrance way under the lips ramp stage left and right at the front of the venue.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 11:47 by SonicDreamer.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 11:34

Was it KR's daughters in the tongue pit between the crowd and the stage (with cameras and security people, sitting against the fence) ?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 26, 2012 11:48

This video, shot from above and slightly behind the stage, seems to give the best idea of what the pit looks like. The actualy stage is quite high, perhaps higher than the typical arena stage? But it appears that the barrier between the front of the stage and the pit keep people far enough away so that you can see Watts even from the very front row?

The ramps slant downward and at the tip of the tongue the ramp appears to be below shoulder level. Security seems tight - it looks like if you have a front row seat in the A Blocks, you can stand right at the rail, but everyone else has to stay in their seats.

Overall, although people seem to be packed tight in front, the back of the pit seems to have enough room so that those who don't want to jostle with other fans after eating their VIP meal can lay back and still get a good view of the stage. Overall, it looks like a true "VIP" pit - not crowded and very exclusive. Folks that pay 1000 GBP for a VIP package aren't really interested in pushing to get their way to the front, which makes for a great situation for IORR members! Frankly, if you look closely, the back of the pit seems like a pretty relaxed bunch; probably a few very casual (but wealthy) fans back there. Some hardcore fans would probably call them "lame" but, if you're not into rubbing up against strangers, like to leave to use the restroom or get a drink, or you're a shorty, it seems like you can still enjoy a very good experience in the pit. Let the hardcore fans squeeze up against the rail and enjoy your cocktail. Of course, there's no guarantee they won't pack it at future shows, but they certainly didn't last night.

At the 2:10 mark in the video you can see, right behind Keith, people passing through the entrance to the pit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 13:54 by drbryant.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 26, 2012 12:53

The pit was terrific. I staked my place at the rail to the left of Mick and stayed firmly put, but I was surprised how small the area was and it didn't seem overly crowded. I heard a semi-official figure of 400 mentioned. The stage was relatively low and there wasn't a great distance between the rail and the stage, so it was incredibly close and I had a fantastic view of everyone, but I also imagine the view was great from any vantage point in there. It seemed to me that the outer walkway wasn't used a lot overall but I remained focused on the stage, so my impression of that might be mistaken.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 26, 2012 12:55

Beast
The pit was terrific. I staked my place at the rail to the left of Mick and stayed firmly put, but I was surprised how small the area was and it didn't seem overly crowded. I heard a semi-official figure of 400 mentioned. The stage was relatively low and there wasn't a great distance between the rail and the stage, so it was incredibly close and I had a fantastic view of everyone, but I also imagine the view was great from any vantage point in there. It seemed to me that the outer walkway wasn't used a lot overall but I remained focused on the stage, so my impression of that might be mistaken.

We missed ya down the Pilot Sarah. Will put up my pix of the IORR gang members who made it dsown there. Great to finally meet Rockman and Gazza.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 26, 2012 13:03

beepee2
Was it KR's daughters in the tongue pit between the crowd and the stage (with cameras and security people, sitting against the fence) ?

Yes - Theo and Dandelion, plus Lizzie Jagger. Alex may also have been there just briefly at one point but if it was she was wearing black-rimmed glaases, so am not sure whether it was her or not.

Date: November 26, 2012 19:08

Thanks a lot for your answers guys!! We were all anxious about the Tongue PIT but we can all be reassured now!!

Benjamin.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: November 26, 2012 20:36

also thanks from my side forall the advices, as we have Pit on Thursday.

Date: November 26, 2012 20:52

Grison
also thanks from my side forall the advices, as we have Pit on Thursday.

Have a great show Grison! I have to wait the two shows of Newark hot smiley

Benjamin.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: November 26, 2012 21:06

another question for London. How is the wording for the PIT. Mine says UNRESERVED: The tickets are ok from Eventim. BUt is it the same for others?
I do have a Row GA and a number and a seat number.
The tickets look just like the ones I had yesterday for A1 except that it says unreserved???
So what do the others have???

Posted by: samunknown ()
Date: November 26, 2012 21:32

Grison
another question for London. How is the wording for the PIT. Mine says UNRESERVED: The tickets are ok from Eventim. BUt is it the same for others?
I do have a Row GA and a number and a seat number.
The tickets look just like the ones I had yesterday for A1 except that it says unreserved???
So what do the others have???

I have also UNRESERVED, and then GA and row and a number and seat number, also entrance B on my ticket.. should be ok!

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: November 26, 2012 21:52

I generally agree with the above comments, but want to add my own perspective.

I had an A1, Row F, seat 9 location. It was actually in the second row from the tongue walkway rail (because of the curved tongue walkway), Ronnie's side and on my right there were no chairs in front. Security did prevent people from going to the rail, BUT ONLY UNTIL the gorilla drummers finished their part of the introduction, since they walked along the rail. As soon as the first song started, all the people in the front row went to the rail - and they stayed there without any comments from security for the entire concert. I stepped to my right and went forward to just off the rail for the entire concert - and could have gone to the rail if I had wanted to squeeze between people, but I was very comfortable standing just behind them. I think there were a few people, with seats farther back, who also came up along side and behind me, but it did not feel crowded - and women were actively dancing within a few feet of me during most of the concert. The view of the main stage was great from here. So I do not understand SonicDreamers major concern about about his original location opposite mine. I was very happy with my location.

But I do agree, that if you want the best view, you want to be in the pit at that front rail. I have a pit ticket for Thursday and am looking forward to that experience. Unless you are very short, or do not like to stand throughout, or do not like to be in a crowd, the pit appears to be the best place to be. From my perspective, the pit appeared to be fairly crowded. So I'm pleased to hear comments from those inside, that they did not feel crowded.

The Stones stayed on the main stage for the vast majority of the concert. Mick came out on the walkway many times, but several of those appearances were just on the part within a few feet of the main stage. He walked all the way around only a few times. Ronnie and Keith, only ventured out a few brief times, but enough for me.

Hope to meet some of you Thursday!

Date: November 26, 2012 23:24

IGTBA

So I do not understand SonicDreamers major concern about about his original location opposite mine. I was very happy with my location.

The thing is IGTA, the way the security honchos portrayed it to me, people would not be able to stand at the A Block barrier for the whole show. It really could not have worked out better for me, as if that security guidance had been less clear cut I would not have seen the need to go on a mission for a Tongue Pit upgrade!!

Cheers,
SonicD

Date: November 27, 2012 01:23

IGTBA
I generally agree with the above comments, but want to add my own perspective.

I had an A1, Row F, seat 9 location. It was actually in the second row from the tongue walkway rail (because of the curved tongue walkway), Ronnie's side and on my right there were no chairs in front. Security did prevent people from going to the rail, BUT ONLY UNTIL the gorilla drummers finished their part of the introduction, since they walked along the rail. As soon as the first song started, all the people in the front row went to the rail - and they stayed there without any comments from security for the entire concert. I stepped to my right and went forward to just off the rail for the entire concert - and could have gone to the rail if I had wanted to squeeze between people, but I was very comfortable standing just behind them. I think there were a few people, with seats farther back, who also came up along side and behind me, but it did not feel crowded - and women were actively dancing within a few feet of me during most of the concert. The view of the main stage was great from here. So I do not understand SonicDreamers major concern about about his original location opposite mine. I was very happy with my location.

But I do agree, that if you want the best view, you want to be in the pit at that front rail. I have a pit ticket for Thursday and am looking forward to that experience. Unless you are very short, or do not like to stand throughout, or do not like to be in a crowd, the pit appears to be the best place to be. From my perspective, the pit appeared to be fairly crowded. So I'm pleased to hear comments from those inside, that they did not feel crowded.

The Stones stayed on the main stage for the vast majority of the concert. Mick came out on the walkway many times, but several of those appearances were just on the part within a few feet of the main stage. He walked all the way around only a few times. Ronnie and Keith, only ventured out a few brief times, but enough for me.

Hope to meet some of you Thursday!

Wait I don't understand. When you are in the PIT you cant chose where you want to be??? For example for newark, I'm row 0 for the first show and row 2 for the second show. Even if I arrive at 6am I cant be front row???

Benjamin.

Date: November 27, 2012 01:29

By the way Ben, met a group of Mexicans last night who had traveled over to London just for the show.

Date: November 27, 2012 01:33

SonicDreamer
By the way Ben, met a group of Mexicans last night who had traveled over to London just for the show.

Awesome! A lot of mexicans, like all south americans, are crazy about the Rolling Stones!
Btw, I'm French cool smiley

Benjamin.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 29, 2012 11:22

Sorry I had missed that topic as I was still traveling when it got posted.

Not a lot to add, the pit was absolutely terrific and not too crowded, I don't think there were a lot more than 200/250 people in there. I was in the second row just to the left of Mick's mic stand and it was tight but you could still move around to clap and adjust the position of your backpack between your legs (no friggin' cloackroom at O2). After the 5th row it became even less tight.

There was no pushing at all although pre-concert there were two or three guys just to my left who were trying to move from row 3 to row 2 and from row 2 to row 1...so it got a bit tense to the point where a security guy told them to cool off. I was concerned they were going to be "extracted" but as soon as the concert started they cut their crap, phew...

One thing of note is that there is a little "lip" on the inside of the pit at the front, most likely to stabilize the barriers so that adds a little height to the first two rows, about 5 cm, which is a bit unfortunate for those directly behind.

Here is a picture of the "gap" between the stage and the pit and you can see the "steps" where family members sat at times, I saw Dandelion/Angie I think. At first some people had put their bags/coats there but security told them to move them as they would come and sit their later, "they" sounding like the band at the time which seemed odd but no one argued ;-)

And here is a picture of the entrance to the pit :

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-29 11:25 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 29, 2012 11:28

benstones
Wait I don't understand. When you are in the PIT you cant chose where you want to be??? For example for newark, I'm row 0 for the first show and row 2 for the second show. Even if I arrive at 6am I cant be front row???

It's general admission. The numbers on the tickets are just to make the tickets unique / keep a record of how many there are...

Posted by: TomGreen ()
Date: November 29, 2012 15:27

Stay at the back of the pit. There is plenty of room there and you will be close enough to the band (for occasional moments) to actually touch them. The barriers at the front feel a million miles away from the chest height rear of the walkway with no barriers. My opinion anyway.

This was taken without zoom and a couple of rows back so I could get them both in.

Date: November 29, 2012 15:55

Glad you enjoyed your spot but the front of the pit does NOT feel like a million miles from the stage, trust me I was there and in my picture just above you'll see the actual gap for yourself, 1.5 meters ;-) Oh did you mean the barriers in front of BK A ? Yeah there's no argument that any spot in the pit can't be beat.

Could you post your pictures towards the stage in the "people in the pit" thread ? Thanks!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 29, 2012 18:12

For me, even though it only happens on occasions, being close enough to grab their legs (I didn't and no one try please haha) provides more excitement than a night spent on the front row - where the sound is worse I might add. Everyone is different I accept but you can also move around more at the back and actually follow the band for some of their movement.

Date: November 29, 2012 18:18

How would you know the sound was worse in the front ? It was perfect, we even got to hear Mick Taylor's monitor when he started playing and hearing Mick and Keith strum the actual guitar strings was very unique.

Anyway when you get the chance would appreciate seeing your pics taken from the back towards the stage as I hope I would see my head bobbing up in there ;-)

--------------

Date: November 29, 2012 18:26

It was considerably worse when you faced the front, let alone moved towards the stafe facing it.

The clarity of Mick's vocals was immense from the rear of the pit and progressively improved towards the back of the arena.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 18:49

I think those inside the tongue pit should be given the official name of "taste buds."

Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: December 2, 2012 18:41

Is it the same for Brooklyn and NJ?

Date: December 2, 2012 18:53

Most likely but until we've seen pictures of it...

Posted by: ladywilliam ()
Date: December 2, 2012 19:15

TomGreen
Stay at the back of the pit. There is plenty of room there and you will be close enough to the band (for occasional moments) to actually touch them. The barriers at the front feel a million miles away from the chest height rear of the walkway with no barriers. My opinion anyway.

This was taken without zoom and a couple of rows back so I could get them both in.

I stayed at the back of the pit at the second show, as I felt the same as you because Keith didn't move on stage much at the show. I wanted to get closer and get smile from keith. It worked at the back!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home