Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Oslo
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 17, 2012 22:22

I am in Oslo. What the f u c k do I do now?

Re: OT: Oslo
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 17, 2012 22:29

there's probably a nearby kiosk for answers...look for one that has a map that says "you are here...and here's what you should do now" - hopefully you can read norwegian....

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 17, 2012 22:37

See this one:

OT: 71Tele headed to Norway
[www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 17, 2012 22:40

The party's been moved to RoundHay
Can you be here by Sundown?

Date: November 18, 2012 01:51

I also have been told to go hang out at the Center train station; biggest drug market in Europe. If that is your bag...

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 18, 2012 02:55

Go to Bygdoy and check out the museums, the go to the vigeland sculpture gardens. If you are still not satisfied, then catch a train cross country to Bergen (my favorite Norwegian city).
..Then go to a movie theater to see a comedy (any American made film. It will have Norwegian subtitles) and listen to the audience laugh at parts that aren't even funny while you'll be laughing at the funny parts and everyone else in the theater will be looking at you like you're crazy.

Date: November 18, 2012 07:19

I confess that I posted this thread in a frenzied jetlagged state of mind...

Yes, Bygdoy sounds like a good idea.

Shockingly expensive here, and I am a native New Yorker! Any good restaurant suggestions appreciated. Weather is exactly as it was in Seattle, perhaps a tad darker during the day.

Thank you for the ideas and good cheer.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 18, 2012 08:55

Tele - go here! The Grünerløkka district is where you want to go
(neighborhood w/a bohemian/creative vibe w/cafes, shops, parks,
bars, coffee, music, etc - like parts of Seattle you most likely dig)
- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-18 08:57 by swiss.

Date: November 18, 2012 10:14

StonesTod
there's probably a nearby kiosk for answers...look for one that has a map that says "you are here...and here's what you should do now" - hopefully you can read norwegian....

Tod, my Texan is a bit better than my Norwegian. A taxi ride of less than two miles here costs $50. I thought the meter was a clock, and the numbers ticking off were seconds, not kroner. I was wrong.

Date: November 18, 2012 10:16

swiss
Tele - go here! The Grünerløkka district is where you want to go
(neighborhood w/a bohemian/creative vibe w/cafes, shops, parks,
bars, coffee, music, etc - like parts of Seattle you most likely dig)
- swiss

Yes, Swiss. Had planned on it in fact. Got an Oslo pass for 24 hrs that covers museums and all transit. I will report back. Fighting off the urge to just get back in bed. But fortified after amazing hotel breakfast.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: November 18, 2012 10:23

Yes, go to Grunerlokka! Head up Markveien (or directly) to Olav Ryes plass. Villa Paradiso for pizzas, Kaffebrenneiet for coffee, Parkteateret for drinks ( its where we had the KR releaseparty). Around the corner is the nice french-y Bistro Brocante, a little higher up the street the always full Mucho Mas and further up the very enjoyable diner Nighthawk. Across the street from Nighthawk is a local mini-brewery.
Another trip is down to the sea by Aker Brygge and the new modern museum at the very end of that walk, but I believe that is covered in the last thread.
Would like to have met you but Im abroad.

Date: November 18, 2012 10:28

RobberBride
Yes, go to Grunerlokka! Head up Markveien (or directly) to Olav Ryes plass. Villa Paradiso for pizzas, Kaffebrenneiet for coffee, Parkteateret for drinks ( its where we had the KR releaseparty). Around the corner is the nice french-y Bistro Brocante, a little higher up the street the always full Mucho Mas and further up the very enjoyable diner Nighthawk. Across the street from Nighthawk is a local mini-brewery.
Another trip is down to the sea by Aker Brygge and the new modern museum at the very end of that walk, but I believe that is covered in the last thread.
Would like to have met you but Im abroad.

Thanks RobberBride. Very kind and helpful people here (in Oslo as well as IORR!).

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 18, 2012 11:22

I'm sorry, 71 Tele. But November is probably the worst month to visit any part of Scandinavia - it's not autumn and still not winter but very dark almost around the clock. And, to be fair, Oslo isn't a big town rather a big small town. Food culture isn't exactly world class and the prices are twice the ones in Sweden (and we are considered an expensive country).

What makes Norway worth while is the amazing fjord landscape along the coast. Catch Hurtigruten (expensive though, like everything in Norway) between Bergen and Kirkenes if you can. Of course, summer or spring is the best time to do so.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 18, 2012 13:06

71Tele
I am in Oslo. What the f u c k do I do now?
Reebook your flight ticket if you have a ticket with SAS...

Date: November 18, 2012 15:07

Stoneage
I'm sorry, 71 Tele. But November is probably the worst month to visit any part of Scandinavia - it's not autumn and still not winter but very dark almost around the clock. And, to be fair, Oslo isn't a big town rather a big small town. Food culture isn't exactly world class and the prices are twice the ones in Sweden (and we are considered an expensive country).

What makes Norway worth while is the amazing fjord landscape along the coast. Catch Hurtigruten (expensive though, like everything in Norway) between Bergen and Kirkenes if you can. Of course, summer or spring is the best time to do so.

I know StoneAge. Yesterday was horrid, but I got very lucky today! Absolutely beautiful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1808
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home