Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Lost Tapes From Major Musicians Are Out There. These Guys Find Them.
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 12, 2024 18:30

What an interesting read. One of my listening joys is hearing how musicians put songs together, y'all know, the out-takes, etc. Wouldn't mind having these guys job myself. Makes you also wonder what Stones, Beatles, Who, Pink Floyd and other name bands stuff is awaiting discovery out there, Holy Grails in their own way.

[www.nytimes.com]

Re: OT: Lost Tapes From Major Musicians Are Out There. These Guys Find Them.
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 12, 2024 18:40

A billion-dollar industry (well not any longer...) where people cannot manage its inventory better than a hardware store owner in Sussex.

This one is still bugging me :

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 12, 2024 21:52

dcba
A billion-dollar industry (well not any longer...) where people cannot manage its inventory better than a hardware store owner in Sussex.

[www.nytimes.com]

I can't believe that was 2008.

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: April 14, 2024 03:35

The Stanley Owsley Foundation has the Oakland ‘69 2nd show. Excerpts were played on KSAN’s “Bill Graham Weekend” in October ‘72. It had a number of problems: a 60Hz line hum, excessive hiss and, most curiously, the tape speed changed every few songs. “Bob & Betty”, of Dead taping fame, have the complete Altamont recording.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: April 14, 2024 05:59

I saw the zeppelin show un 77 in Chicago when they only played a few songs and then stopped.

I thought it was really interesting to see that video someone posted.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: April 14, 2024 22:19

It would be awesome to have a "Who By Numbers" Deluxe Edition!

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: April 15, 2024 18:16

dcba

[www.nytimes.com]

Wow, what an in-depth article.. You don’t find much of that. As an ex-firefighter I’d like to know what their suppression/alarm systems were at the time and what the water pressure issues stemmed from.. Sounds like they were drafting from a studio lake at one point.. But on main point, I hadn’t realized the scope of the loss before. Didn’t see Stones tapes mentioned (did Chess have any of their masters does anyone know) tho the article was so in-depth I may have skimmed over a mention.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-15 18:23 by snoopy2.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 15, 2024 19:22

snoopy2
dcba

[www.nytimes.com]

Wow, what an in-depth article.. You don’t find much of that. As an ex-firefighter I’d like to know what their suppression/alarm systems were at the time and what the water pressure issues stemmed from.. Sounds like they were drafting from a studio lake at one point.. But on main point, I hadn’t realized the scope of the loss before. Didn’t see Stones tapes mentioned (did Chess have any of their masters does anyone know) tho the article was so in-depth I may have skimmed over a mention.

Ya dcba, I remember when this article was originally posted here.

There was another incident where the tapes were stored on the lower level of a building used to store food. The floor of the building gave away and all the salad dressing on the second floor fell into the recordings. I can't remember if there was a fire at the time or the floor just gave away.

Also, this is similar; the Johnny Carson show tapes were rerecorded over and never saved. I think the BBC did this too with their stuff. Anyway, someone from the Communications Squadron at March AFB, California found Johnnys' tapes in a storage room. Apparently, what happened is AFN recorded his shows because of the time differences all over the world. The tapes were returned to the Carson family, so this one ended well.

Maybe AFN might have some audio gems?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home