Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: No "Shattered" On 'GRRR!'???
Date: November 12, 2012 18:30

ZantiMisfit
Why "Respectable" from 'Some Girls' instead of "Shattered"? "Respectable" wasn't a hit--no one I'm giving the set to has ever heard of it.

It makes no sense. This could have been a really good career retrospective for the "newbie." It just makes it less than perfect...oh, well...you can't always, etc. ...

They did the same thing with JUMP BACK. I was floored. Respectable? Really? Not Shattered, a far more interesting song? Geeeze. And they put Rock And A Hard Place on JUMP BACK. They have some bizarre ideas.

Date: November 12, 2012 18:33

hbwriter
all this bashing of Shattered? SHATTERED? Are you people f---ing crazy?

They're tattered.

Date: November 12, 2012 18:34

Shattered is supreme to Respectable. Best version was from the VOODOO tour. Simply awesome. It's a great song, with a funny attitude. It's impossible to not like that song - and if you don't, you're just not respectable.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 12, 2012 18:48

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Shattered is supreme to Respectable. Best version was from the VOODOO tour. Simply awesome. It's a great song, with a funny attitude. It's impossible to not like that song - and if you don't, you're just not respectable.

No live version of Shattered comes close to the 1978 version, I think
Meanwhile it was nice to get Shattered on the VL tour, I didn't and still don't like the choir there - really didn't fit

Date: November 12, 2012 19:08

Erik_Snow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

No live version of Shattered comes close to the 1978 version, I think
Meanwhile it was nice to get Shattered on the VL tour, I didn't and still don't like the choir there - really didn't fit

It is good, the 1978 version. A LOT of energry. I think the 1994 version is better simply because it's a tiny bit slower, it has swagger to it, it's not so messy and they actually play the guitar parts a bit different, a bit more dug in and precise. The solo break is brilliant with how Charlie plays and Ronnie actually played the entire solo!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 12, 2012 19:27

hbwriter

Not my favourite Stones song at all. No melody, based on a half-cooked riff, even the sound mix is shoddy. Never really got this song. Live, it's evn worse. It's a silly bore of a song. Does that make me crazy? I dunno. I skip this song anytime it pops up.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 12, 2012 19:43

jamesfdouglas
hbwriter

Not my favourite Stones song at all. No melody, based on a half-cooked riff, even the sound mix is shoddy. Never really got this song. Live, it's evn worse. It's a silly bore of a song. Does that make me crazy? I dunno. I skip this song anytime it pops up.

They have quite a few others that fit that description. Although this trip people have with all songs must have a melody is beyond me. It does have a melody, just not the kind you wish it had.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 12, 2012 19:50

jamesfdouglas
hbwriter

at the time it came out it was billed as lou reed-esque. a fair description. it's a solid album track that has been a bore on the stage since '94...but then, you could say that about a lot of their songs.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 12, 2012 20:10

Yeah, that's true Tod. I kind of snickered at it as a teen, Mick going over the top at the end - it's one of those "WTF"? songs - not unlike Too Much Blood to me. Put in on for friends, have a laugh at how goofy these funny-looking millionaires can be...

The fact that it made it onto Still Life even was a suprise to me. From '94 onward... NEXT!!! lol

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 12, 2012 20:13

hbwriter

It's people who prefer Macca's Silly Love Song, Ballroom Dancing - don't take them too seriously. ;o)

Posted by: DoomNGloom ()
Date: November 12, 2012 20:24

No 'Out Of Control'? Best Stones song ever!

Posted by: iamwaiting ()
Date: November 12, 2012 20:38

Wow. For 34 years I was mistaken. I thought Shattered was a classic, fun high energy rock song, with smart, witty, current-event lyrics, awesome drum sounds and drumming, cool Mick vocals, great Keith and Ron backing vocals, hand claps, audible ghost vocals from the guide track (for those of us who listen for that), and a one-of-a-kind guitar solo. Thank God for all these comments on this Stones forum to set me straight.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: November 12, 2012 20:40

FreeBird
It is on the Super Deluxe (80-track) edition...
Track 13 on disc 3

Satisfied since 1976

Date: November 12, 2012 20:40

jamesfdouglas
Yeah, that's true Tod. I kind of snickered at it as a teen, Mick going over the top at the end - it's one of those "WTF"? songs - not unlike Too Much Blood to me. Put in on for friends, have a laugh at how goofy these funny-looking millionaires can be...

The fact that it made it onto Still Life even was a suprise to me. From '94 onward... NEXT!!! lol

Bore Since ninety-Four...has a certain ring to it...

Date: November 12, 2012 23:45

StonesTod
jamesfdouglas

Bore Since ninety-Four...has a certain ring to it...

Yes, Respectable has been a bore since 94.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 12, 2012 23:49

They probably read one of my post 'here on IORR...thank you guys

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: November 13, 2012 00:10

Good Lord--the people on this site don't even like "Shattered"???????????? No WONDER they don't like the new songs!!! Jeez Louise!!! And another thread goes on and on about how there are "thousands" of tickets still available for the 4 shows and nobody wants to see them anymore (how these people have inside knowledge of all this I'll never know)--yet the Stones add ANOTHER show in NY??? I guess they should have read the word from on high here on IORR from the "experts" before they did that!!

I've said it before--yes, many times, I know--and I'll say it again--love BV but this is the worst Stones fansite I've ever come across. At least I get the latest news here but the rest just drives me nuts! Everytime I post something about anything it degenerates into a "hate HATE the Rolling Stones and everything about them" thread.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 13, 2012 00:14

ZantiMisfit you could start a Goodbye thread.................

By the way what's wrong if you don't dig a song out of the 1000

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 13, 2012 00:18

Weird that "Shattered" isn't on the basic version of "GRR" yet it was on "40 Licks."

Always loved "Shattered." Some great, fun lyrics and definitely a song that comes from left field. No song before or after even sounds remotely like it. Truly one of a kind. It's probably the only song where the guitars are irrelevant to the great vocal performance. The song's all Mick and that's fine with me.

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: November 13, 2012 00:21

Even if it might be one of their most peculiar songs, I guess many people consider it slightly monotonic in its "andamento" - and by contrast Ronnie's break works as a sort of refreshing opening. In the immensity of their 1978 outtakes/sessions, there's a version with a warm, fat and funky keyboard sound (instead of the skeletal "plin plin" of their recent piano/keyboard" sound, no blame on Chuck, they rehearse together and they are not deft, for some imponderable reason they like it that way) that improves the groove, IMHO

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 13, 2012 01:15

iamwaiting
Wow. For 34 years I was mistaken. I thought Shattered was a classic, fun high energy rock song, with smart, witty, current-event lyrics, awesome drum sounds and drumming, cool Mick vocals, great Keith and Ron backing vocals, hand claps, audible ghost vocals from the guide track (for those of us who listen for that), and a one-of-a-kind guitar solo. Thank God for all these comments on this Stones forum to set me straight.

hey, that's what friends are for.

Date: November 13, 2012 01:23

ZantiMisfit
Yes--I know--but I am giving the 3 CD version to some people for Christmas who don't have many--or any--Rolling Stones albums and I was hoping that it would have all the hits on it. Why "Respectable" from 'Some Girls' instead of "Shattered"? "Respectable" wasn't a hit--no one I'm giving the set to has ever heard of it.

It makes no sense. This could have been a really good career retrospective for the "newbie." It just makes it less than perfect...oh, well...you can't always, etc. ...

I'm completely shattered that it isn't on there. This just isn't respectable.

Date: November 13, 2012 01:51

ZantiMisfit
I've said it before--yes, many times, I know--and I'll say it again--love BV but this is the worst Stones fansite I've ever come across.

we sincerely look forward to the next time!

i looked high and low for a worse site many years before landing here. i can assure you that you can stop looking...you won't find one.

Date: November 13, 2012 01:55

treaclefingers
iamwaiting

hey, that's what friends are for.

Terrible song. FAIL. Pick another one.

Date: November 13, 2012 01:57

StonesTod
ZantiMisfit
I've said it before--yes, many times, I know--and I'll say it again--love BV but this is the worst Stones fansite I've ever come across.

we sincerely look forward to the next time!

i looked high and low for a worse site many years before landing here. i can assure you that you can stop looking...you won't find one.

At least we can embrace this, and be the best at being worst.

I'm in. The question is, are you?

Date: November 13, 2012 01:57

ZantiMisfit
...yet the Stones add ANOTHER show in NY???

They didn't add another show in NY since they didn't have a first show in NY. Did that part of Long Island flood or is it fine?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 13, 2012 02:00

ZantiMisfit
Good Lord--the people on this site don't even like "Shattered"???????????? No WONDER they don't like the new songs!!! Jeez Louise!!! And another thread goes on and on about how there are "thousands" of tickets still available for the 4 shows and nobody wants to see them anymore (how these people have inside knowledge of all this I'll never know)--yet the Stones add ANOTHER show in NY??? I guess they should have read the word from on high here on IORR from the "experts" before they did that!!

What a load of nonsense.

The available tickets for the shows sold out. Fact. No one's denying it. Although they quite obviously have held tickets back for ticket drops. Fact.

There are, however, thousands of tickets available on secondary markets. Fact. Take a look at the sites in question. As of last week, Viagogo alone had 10,000 tickets available for the four shows.

Nobody wants to see them anymore? Where did someone say that?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-13 02:05 by Gazza.

Date: November 13, 2012 02:03

Gazza
ZantiMisfit

What a load of nonsense.

The available tickets for the shows sold out. Fact. No one's denying it.

There are, however, thousands of tickets available on secondary markets. Fact. Take a look at the sites in question. As of last week, Viagogo alone had 10,000 tickets available for the four shows.

Nobody wants to see them anymore? Where did someone say that?

Don't worry Gazza, this guy's a bit of a zany misfit.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: November 13, 2012 03:00

..well, i like it...

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: November 13, 2012 03:21

...and some people here are mean as hell to boot!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home