Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: are the stones playing four shows,with no horns
Posted by: Blue ()
Date: November 6, 2012 04:46

Favorite "horned" Stones song = "I Got The Blues", what a treat if they would perform it, but highly unlikely I guess....

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 6, 2012 05:36

erikjjf
drbryant
I'm trying to remember - of the songs that the band has played live with some frequency recently, which have prominent horn parts (as opposed to just a sax solo)?

Honky Tonk Women
Bitch
Rocks Off
Happy
All Down the Line

Any others?

Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash
Sympathy For The Devil (when played as an encore)
Heartbreaker
Before They Make Me Run
Tumbling Dice
...to name but a few

Sorry, my post wasn't clear - I meant songs where the original studio versions had horns. Except for "Heartbreaker", which isn't played live much anymore, the tracks mentioned have added horns for live performance. Frankly, I think the horn arrangements are terrible - that "call and respond" schtick on Satisfaction, while the horns blare away is one of my least favorite Stones moments (right up there with the 4/4 version of "19th Nervous Breakdown"). Even back in the day in 72, when they used to end their shows with a horn led version of "Street Fighting Man", it was a trainwreck. It seems to me that they would be best off using horns only where originally intended. I would love to hear a straight version of "Satisfaction", done slow and nasty. In recent years, they've slowed down the tempo of "Street Fighting Man" and it's much better. The Stripped version was beautiful. Someone needs to tell them that less can be more.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: November 6, 2012 08:13

I think they just need them on Doom & Gloom @ 2: 37secs after Mick sings 'end up drunk'. Although, it sounds like it could be Chuck via keyboard synth. Lol

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 6, 2012 11:40

Keith, with his RnR historian's head on, was once quoted as saying that one electric guitar could replace a whole horn section.

Seems like they've kind of reversed that theory in recent years.

I'm quite excited that we seem to be getting something at least a little different this time out.

[I'm very easy to please though, I've loved every minute of every show over the last 40 years !. I won't be at the O2 cos I'm skint. Crossing my fingers for next year ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-06 11:42 by Spud.

Date: November 6, 2012 11:52

I think Jim Price got into writing for TV. Scores.

Date: November 6, 2012 22:00

Yes, there will be horns.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: November 6, 2012 22:02

the stones donĀ“t have money to pay horns. smileys with beer

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: November 6, 2012 23:47

backstreetboy1
i hope its just them,chuck and bernard,loud,raw,mayhem.

Why in the world does anyone think Bernard Fowler belongs within ten miles of the Rolling Stones? A Luther Vandross sound-alike is so totally wrong for the band. Always has been. Can't stand him!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 6, 2012 23:55

From4tilLate
backstreetboy1

Why in the world does anyone think Bernard Fowler belongs within ten miles of the Rolling Stones? A Luther Vandross sound-alike is so totally wrong for the band. Always has been. Can't stand him!

so mean!

Date: November 7, 2012 00:05

StonesTod
From4tilLate
backstreetboy1

so mean!

Hey, he's a great singer and I'm sure he's a nice person who loves his mother, but his voice is so totally wrong for the Rolling Stones, IMHO.

Date: November 7, 2012 00:09

From4tilLate
StonesTod
From4tilLate
backstreetboy1

so mean!

Hey, he's a great singer and I'm sure he's a nice person who loves his mother, but his voice is so totally wrong for the Rolling Stones, IMHO.

ok. much better. i take it back.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 7, 2012 00:12

StonesTod
From4tilLate
StonesTod
From4tilLate
backstreetboy1

so mean!

ok. much better. i take it back.

Bottler.

Take it back back.

Date: November 7, 2012 00:20

It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 7, 2012 00:26

StonesTod
From4tilLate
backstreetboy1

so mean!

So true. But no worse than others I could name.

Date: November 7, 2012 00:32

71Tele
StonesTod
From4tilLate
backstreetboy1

so mean!

chuck-hater

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: November 7, 2012 00:35

They should play the shows with the same line-up they had at the Trabendo. No horns, no Bernard/Lisa/Blondie.
Of course it would be nice to have Bill play bass again (especially since they hyped up his possible return in "Rolling Stone" magazine), but it's probably not gonna happen outside of a guest spot. And I've given up hope that they'll ever play with Ian MacLagan instead of Chuck Leavell again.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: November 7, 2012 01:38

MrEcho
They should play the shows with the same line-up they had at the Trabendo. No horns, no Bernard/Lisa/Blondie.
Of course it would be nice to have Bill play bass again (especially since they hyped up his possible return in "Rolling Stone" magazine), but it's probably not gonna happen outside of a guest spot. And I've given up hope that they'll ever play with Ian MacLagan instead of Chuck Leavell again.

With all the flack people like to give out about the band losing their edge, I'd think most of you'd want all the backups to cover mistakes and smooth things out. I've never been a fan of the backup contingent being so overbearing, but if they were quieter and/or a few less in number, I'd like it.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 7, 2012 02:24

At least I'd like to have a chance to hear the band sans back-ups, as in Trabendo.

They're not going to be any quieter, imo.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: November 7, 2012 02:45

Backup Guitarist?

Date: November 7, 2012 03:40

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
From4tilLate
backstreetboy1

so mean!

chuck-hater

I'm sure he's a real Southern gentleman, very polite, and has a nice smile.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: November 7, 2012 03:56

Bobby just posted on Facebook that he's heading off to rehearsals.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 7, 2012 04:16

FB post:

Bobby Keys

Hello to everyone. I would like to announce that I am leaving next week for rehearsals with The Rolling Stones. I am very excited to see the boys and get ready for the upcoming shows! I hope to see you all out on the road! Safe Travels

Date: November 7, 2012 04:26

Cool!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: November 7, 2012 12:10

StonesTod
oh sure....blame the horns

%$#@!*& horns.....they move in..trash the neighbourhood....let the grass grow...bratty kids everywhere.......'geez......

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home