Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

singles box vol. 3
Posted by: t-perkins ()
Date: December 21, 2004 12:14

hi,
does anyone know why the singles box vol. 3 wasn't released in these days?
in the booklet of vol. 2 it was announced for later this year, wasn't it?
best regards,
t-perkins

Re: singles box vol. 3
Posted by: mikey ()
Date: December 21, 2004 12:31

Well strange to report the reason is apparently poor sales. So they're going to delay the release of set 3 until the spring by which time more geriatric Stones fans will have traded in their Christmas record tokens for the first two sets.

Of course if the sets had offered something new they might have shifted.

There is an increasing degree of irritation, boredom general ho-hum reaction to most Stones releases as they desperately cling onto the notion that there is an insatiable appetite for re-releases or yet more albums from the Licks Tour.

Tragic really. The recent review of "Live Licks" in Uncut magazine sums it up perfectly.

Posted by: t-perkins ()
Date: December 21, 2004 14:42

Thanks!

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: December 21, 2004 16:02

It will be in the stores March 2005

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 21, 2004 17:36

Really, they could easily have upgraded "The Singles Collection" in 2002 with a halfway decent booklet (the original was unacceptable for any artist, let alone the Stones) with proper annotation & colour repros of single sleeves, & naturally, the single versions of all tracks (i.e. the '89 version used the single version of 'Under Assistant W.Coast', wheras the 2002 remaster uses the "Out Of Our Heads" version for god knows what reason) any extraneous ep stuff could have easily fit on that set, such as the live ep tracks from march '65. But No, the usual bogus half-assed approach - hell, Free, Procol Harum, The Byrds, Hendrix --any number of groups have been better served with decent reissue programs. Buck Owens' catalog has been superbly reissued by Sundazed, as has the Box Tops - single & album versions of relevant trax. And Abkco couldn't be bothered to accurately reproduce the original cover art, back front inserts etc. These are boxes i never intended to buy, & I consider myself a completest - the Mobile Fidelity vinyl box (major $) was a big investment. I'm glad these singles boxes stiffed. Why don't they look at the competition, the Sony Legacy stuff or Sundazed or Rhino's Love, Television re-issues.

Date: December 21, 2004 17:36

Really, they could easily have upgraded "The Singles Collection" in 2002 with a halfway decent booklet (the original was unacceptable for any artist, let alone the Stones) with proper annotation & colour repros of single sleeves, & naturally, the single versions of all tracks (i.e. the '89 version used the single version of 'Under Assistant W.Coast', wheras the 2002 remaster uses the "Out Of Our Heads" version for god knows what reason) any extraneous ep stuff could have easily fit on that set, such as the live ep tracks from march '65. But No, the usual bogus half-assed approach - hell, Free, Procol Harum, The Byrds, Hendrix --any number of groups have been better served with decent reissue programs. Buck Owens' catalog has been superbly reissued by Sundazed, as has the Box Tops - single & album versions of relevant trax. And Abkco couldn't be bothered to accurately reproduce the original cover art, back front inserts etc. These are boxes i never intended to buy, & I consider myself a completest - the Mobile Fidelity vinyl box (major $) was a big investment. I'm glad these singles boxes stiffed. Why don't they look at the competition, the Sony Legacy stuff or Sundazed or Rhino's Love, Television re-issues.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: December 21, 2004 18:13

john r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> the Mobile Fidelity vinyl box (major $) was a big investment.

What's that exactly?

Posted by: mikey ()
Date: December 21, 2004 18:55

Big dosheroo and was released I think just prior to the Mobile Fidelity sound CDs of the Stones (almost entire but some jumpin' around between UK and US issues of their ABCKO back catalogue from STONES No 1 al the way through to HOT ROCKS).

Came in a wooden case and is a seriously desirable bit of kit and way off the richter scale now in the prices it commands.

There's been a lot of interest in the Mobile Fidelity CDs which disappeared in the early 90's.

The new re-issues notwithstanding still the best source fof the UK version of AFTERMATH. In better sounding and wider stereo. HOT ROCKS too for that matter.

Date: December 21, 2004 19:11

I have the Mobile Fidelity vinyl box which came out in 1984 or so - got a mint set at a used store for roughly 175$ in late 80s. They were imo best vinyl versions of Decca/London catalog, sound-wise (tho I have no UK 1st pressings til Sticky Fingers) & as mentioned, an odd mix of UK & US, & some titles missing, but nice 12-inch booklet w/ all artwork (inc 3-d Satanic cover) Now goes for around 500 - 1000$ Contains interviews (brief) w/ Ron Malo, Oldham, Dave Hassinger, Glyn Johns, & these:
RS (UK) debut
12 x 5 (US)
Out Of Our Heads (US)
Aftermath (UK)
Buttons (US)
Satanic
Beggars
Let It Bleed
Ya-Ya's (best sound ever on this title)
Hot Rocks (2 discs)
so you can see it's missing both UK &/or US titles, but what is there is Japanese pressed & sounds fantastic & warm.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 21, 2004 22:07

Mobile Fidelity also released Sticky Fingers and Some girls as seperate albums.

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1517
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home