Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: BB King
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 4, 2023 22:51

Saw BB with Bobby Blue Bland at the Roanoke Civic Center in 1977- we may have been the only white kids in the place. Amazing experience. Listened to this tune when I was kid and it scared the fertilizer out of me- don't answer the door for your sister, your mother, the doctor...or else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-06 18:32 by bv.

Re: OT: Thinking Aboiut BB King
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 5, 2023 02:27

He made such great music. To this day I highly recommend his Indianola Mississippi Seeds album as a great way to get into BB King. Regarding Bobby Blue Bland, saw him a number of times. IMHO, Bland was the best blues singer around. His voice just drew you in and made you feel the music. Here's one of my fave cuts by him - Memphis Monday Morning.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 5, 2023 04:28

Producer Bill Szymczyk has worked with both BB King and The Eagles.

Check out this bit from Don Henley in Rolling Stone here.

I had read that "After the Thrill Is Gone," at least in its title, was inspired by B.B. King's "The Thrill Is Gone." Is that true? And what did its lyrics address?

We were, of course, aware of B.B. King's song "The Thrill Is Gone," which was a straightforward statement. But we wanted to explore the aftermath. We know that the thrill is gone – so, now what?

Posted by: sotob ()
Date: October 5, 2023 15:37

Wow - that must have been awesome. I wish!! I love the record that both of them are on it.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 5, 2023 16:18

I've probably writeen about this here before so apologies if I have. I anted up big bucks to go see the Stones in Vegas 2013. There was a big buzz about BB possibly showing up in the guest spot as he was home in Vegas at the time of the show. Sadly the guest slot was Katy Perry. She did a decent Beast of Burden but I would've much rather heard BB doing Rock Me Baby with the band. BB was gone 2 years later. It was a missed opportunity for sure.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 5, 2023 16:39

B.B. King was a force of nature, and a true road warrior, who for years performed close to 300 shows a year. He literally, as he put it, paid the cost to be the boss.

No need to sully up a perfectly good thread by comparing him to a pop milquetoast like Don Henley.

As far as being the best Blues Vocalist, I’d agree that Bobby Bland is among the best Male Blues Vocalists (a list that for me would include Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Percy Mayfield, and Charles Brown). There are several outstanding Female Blues Vocalists, and Koko Taylor could very well be the best Blues Vocalist of any gender.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-05 16:40 by Javadave.

Date: October 6, 2023 00:14

Javadave
B.B. King was a force of nature, and a true road warrior, who for years performed close to 300 shows a year. He literally, as he put it, paid the cost to be the boss.

No need to sully up a perfectly good thread by comparing him to a pop milquetoast like Don Henley.

I wasn't comparing either of them as musicians. The connection is producer Bill Szymczyk and Henley being inspired by King's song. That's it.

You should learn to read properly and keep your comments to yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-06 00:17 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Re: OT: BB King
Posted by: Dagopauley ()
Date: October 8, 2023 05:08

"Pop milquetoast" Ha! That's about the best description of Don Henley I have ever heard.

Re: OT: BB King
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 11, 2023 04:30

I cannot recall what show this was from. In the '60's BB appeared for his first show at the Fillmore west. The bus arrived, but everyone thought they were at the wrong place because outside were lined up a bunch of young long haired white kids. They drove around until they realized that they were at the place. He said Bill Graham gave him the shortest introduction he ever had: "Ladies and gentlemen, the Chairman of the Board...BB King." BB almost choked up saying it was the first time he played before a mostly white audience. The interviewer made the point with words to the effect: You discovered them (the white audience), but they had already discovered you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1598
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home