Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Stones Suck
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 20, 2012 21:37

Justin

And how many people in this thread will renounce their fandom yet will either pay for the PPV, or download it for free, or watch all the clips on YouTube? Oh you all will do it because you'll still be curious, still wondering how and what they performed...but will you admit it here? No freakin' way. After all, you still have to withhold that image to the board that you gave the Stones the finger. If you truly want nothing to do with this band, prove it.

Curious about the spectacle? Of course. The recent vids of Keef failing to spit out three-chord songs acoustically - these over-priced self-serving toss-off shows priced for a) the elite and b) people who need to get a life - not unlike Trekkies who pay thousands for high-end prop replicas - are gonns be a HOOT to watch!

Will I invest time to check it out? Yup. Will I actaully do anything that requires giving these old fools another dime? No f#$%ing way.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: October 20, 2012 21:38

DandelionPowderman
Still the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world. Name another band releasing a better track than d&g this year . Aerosmith? Ha ha, nope!

It is all to subjective. any song posted by anyone, i think, you would probably laugh off. And, you have a right to do so.

I guess if you give 4 guys 6 years to write/produce one song,it has a good chance at being well done. Personally, to me it is not fresh... It's OK- And, like I said before, to me one "OK" song in 5 years does not maintain your status as the "Greates R&R band".

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 20, 2012 22:13

I think Bliss said it best here. The Stones have given me so much already, they can do no wrong from here on out. So friggin what if I don't get to see them this time out?

Yes they are capitalizing on their success by overcharging andf allowing the second tier ticket market to gouge the fans. So What? Who here could put themselves in their shows and truthfully say they would do something different? It is their business, they have made it what it is and more power to them for being so damn successful.

They hooked me sometime about the middle of my forst play of Sticky Fingers and even if they never made another record, I can go back to that one anytime I want and get a pretty good buzz.

Yes I am somewhat angry and disappointed that they didn't haven't done something more reasonable for the sake of the less fortunate and poorer fans as a lasting legacy. But in reality it bodes well for the sake of musicians and bands everywhere that people are willing to pay such high prices for live musical entertainment. I would be more shocked if everyone said "No, even the Stones are not worth a few extra bucks".

jamesfdouglas, I understand how you feel but in reality this is a good thing for your band and musical aspirations. All you have to do is put out a record as good as Sticky Fingers, hire a PR team to create a buzz and a million YouTube hits and you too could be smiling all the way to the bank. peace

Re: No, They Do Not Suck
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 20, 2012 22:19

paulm
Bliss
The RS have given us over 400 original songs. These are available to you at any time of the day or night to enjoy over and over. The cost is minimal. There is also much concert footage available to view at no cost. If this adds to the enjoyment of your life, that's great. If not, you are free to seek enjoyment anywhere you choose. They are old men now, approaching 70 and beyond. If you want to spend time with them, they are entitled to set the terms. They owe you nothing.
You're probably right. I meant they suck now, not their incredible legacy. I guess I'm wishing they went out with some artistic integrity instead of totally selling out, which is what they've done. I liked them more artistically than as an "event", which is all they have become for me.

Yes, I agree. But since we have no control over what other people including the RS do, it's up to us to set our own terms regarding how we spend our time and money. Personally, I have no bitterness at all. For me to see the RS in concert now, they would have to come to the city where I live, sell good seats for 50 €, play an arena, play a warhorse-lite setlist, and only then would I be inclined to overlook their diminished capabilities and looks.

After the last two tours, although I enjoyed them, I knew I was finished with what they were serving up. I am happy to have my own private RS festival, featuring the audio and dvd material I like best, anytime I choose. I recommend you do the same - don't let disillusionment and bitterness ruin something in which you have invested so heavily, and which has given you so much pleasure.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 20, 2012 22:35

DandelionPowderman
Still the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world. Name another band releasing a better track than d&g this year.

You are officially not qualified to talk about music in any capacity.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 20, 2012 22:41

buffalo7478
They stopped putting out any music that matters 30+ years ago. They are, at best, a show band now, not seemingly capable to playing rock music with a nasty or dangerous edge to it, or have the passion they once had.

Compared to what the once were, and what brought them fame, they are a weak shadow of what they were. Keith is an old man that may not have them mental or physical tools to play as he once did. Jagger's writing is boring and his 'live' singing is more shouting.

They are now interested in money over music and are pricing tix so that they guarantee a crowd of investment bankers and brokers trying their best to pretend they too can rock.

That all may point to them 'sucking'.

But they are still better, even in their highly diminished capacity, than most other bands.

I think the original poster was right, though, in saying that like a pro athlete who is no longer capable of being amazing, they might be better remembered if they went out on top. But way too late for that now.

+1

Nice post, buffalo7478

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 20, 2012 22:49

jamesfdouglas
DandelionPowderman
Still the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world. Name another band releasing a better track than d&g this year.

Ouch.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 20, 2012 22:55

His Majesty
jamesfdouglas
DandelionPowderman

Ouch.

Both my friends Mick Jones and Elvis Costello really love the Doom and Gloom track, more than I do. Of course, they are both in their fifties and old time fans, but I'd posit that they are still qualified to talk about music.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 20, 2012 23:01

The only time they sucked was the late 70's - early 80's. Not bad for 50 years.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1707
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home