Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Evolution Of Sky High Ticket Prices; Where Did It Get Completely Out Of Control?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 18, 2012 15:11

We can argue about this forever. In the end it's a market economy and they will charge as much as they can get away with. What we can do, however, is to be critical about the bands performance. If the charge $1000 a ticket they better deliver! Personally I think that these concerts primarily will be nostalgia events. A last meet and greet for people with good economy.

Re: The Evolution Of Sky High Ticket Prices; Where Did It Get Completely Out Of Control?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 18, 2012 15:19

saltoftheearth
The main problem is, concerts are no more for the fan but they are rather social events attended by successful people. Many people do not go out to see the group they love but if some well-known artist's concert is announced they buy tickets because they want to impress their partner/friends/colleagues. Therefore, the expensive packages sell excellently.

Three years ago we attended an open-air Santana concert where 50% of the audience were people who would have liked to see Carlos Santana play the greatest-hits-album they have at home on stage. Even if he had played carbon copies of the studio recordings they would have appreciated it. It was the event to take the lady out.

For the forthcoming Eric Clapton concerts where the normal tickets cost 110 € you can also book the package complete with a selected menu and drinks. This is certainly not intended for the fan to buy but rather for those well-to-to bankers and managers who are willingly pay the prices. To me it seems ironic that you even would like to see Clapton playing ('Poor man blues') in a luxury ambience.

No envy here on my side - the age of the rock concerts as we knew them back in the 1970s and 1980 is definitely over, at least for the stars of rock music. If you want to see a decent concert go and buy tickets for Gaslight Anthem - they sell for about 35 €, and hopefully you'll see a group palying for the fans who go so listen to the music and not because there is a banquet going on.

You're right and this is what boggles my mind. At these prices, the gigs should be like private parties for hardcore fans, because you'd think someone who is only a casual fan would never pay these kinds of prices to see someone they're not all that interested in. But I've been to many gigs where I sat next to people who paid the same high prices I did and they knew next to nothing about the band they were seeing! They were there simply because they had nothing better to do that night, and it seemed to be The Place To Be. I've told a few of those stories on here over the years. Like the one about the guy sitting behind me at Roger Waters's Dark Side Of The Moon show who, when Roger played "Wish You Were Here," asked his friend, "Is this song on Dark Side Of The Moon?"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-18 15:34 by tatters.

Date: October 18, 2012 15:26

Gazza
tatters
So you see just how expensive those $35 Reed/Cale tickets seemed in 1989.

Small venues, though. Those tickets I posted were for stadiums.

Yeah, it was just four shows in a 2,000 seat theatre in Brooklyn. I went the last two nights. Mo Tucker showed up the final night. The 1993 VU reunion tour never made it to the states, so that night when the three of them sang "Pale Blue Eyes" as an encore was the closest we ever got.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 18, 2012 15:35

This kind of reminds me of celebrity charity events or Presidential dinners where people pay huge money just to get a chance to sit next to the President or another celebrity. Obviously it's worth $10000 just to sit two tables away from the President on a dinner event. On the other hand - it's often the company that pays.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: October 18, 2012 15:39

To answer your Q: Since that download thing started.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 18, 2012 15:48

Stoneage
We can argue about this forever. In the end it's a market economy and they will charge as much as they can get away with. What we can do, however, is to be critical about the bands performance. If the charge $1000 a ticket they better deliver! Personally I think that these concerts primarily will be nostalgia events. A last meet and greet for people with good economy.

That's my stance as well. I was fancing with the idea of seeing them "one time again", but's that's been my idea already during LICKS TOUR and A BIGGER BANG. You know, meet fellow fans, feel the thrill of seeing them alive (the pre-concert feeling is the best moment actually), since there is so much invested in my memory bank for them. But losing that experiience this time is not such a big deal; been there and done that, and musically there is not much to be remembered afterwards, and I don't have any use for the idea being present in the 'very last time' - any gig I've been is good enough for that (seeing the band making the final, celebration round long after their heyday).

If as a Stones fan i am jealous for, or felt like losing some crucial thing, have been that of not being able to witness the band in their prime. That was not technically possible for me (too young), but I have learned to live with the fact of never seeing the "real thing", but just this Vegas reincaranation. Which is wonderful in terms of its own.

I guess, in the end, I am not that huge fan of the band that I feel the urge to see the band - no matter in what condition - for any cost. Like I said in some of these threads, I don't rate having nostalgic feel such high as the ticket prices claim. But that's just me, and some other people see it differently. It's personal decision (and going according to the laws of demand and supply).

- Doxa

Date: October 18, 2012 17:21

Re: Post Some Actual Ticket Prices You Remember Paying For Past Shows
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 18, 2012 17:26

tatters
TeddyB1018
My dad paid $12.50 a ticket to see the Rolling Stones in Los Angeles in 1969. The "regular" top ticket was either $8 or $8.50 but the front section was $12.50. I remember people were outraged.

Hard to believe it was that much because even in '76 when I started going to concerts, a typical arena show was priced at $8.50, $7.50, and $6.50.

I paid $12.00 to see the Stones in '78. General admission in a football stadium.

I remember ticket prices for Zep, Tull and a few others in the 1972/73 years as being $4.50, $5.50 or the high priced $6.50. Wow $6.50 to see a 2 or 3 hour concert, we must be crazy to pay that! Those were the days...

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: October 18, 2012 17:33

In 1982, paid 13 € (85 francs) in Paris for the same day:
George Thorogood, J. Geils band, Telephone (french band) and the Stones.

Date: October 18, 2012 17:39

It would be interesting to know how much the Stones (or any big artist) overhead has changed through the years. Have there been costs added that maybe were not even there in the 70's or 80's? Didn't bands use to take maybe 70% of the gate or even a set price no matter how many came?

As stonesnow pointed out, they do not made money on record sales anymore, so they have to charge more, but maybe its also the overhead costs that have skyrocketed.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 18, 2012 18:40

2000 LYFH
It would be interesting to know how much the Stones (or any big artist) overhead has changed through the years. Have there been costs added that maybe were not even there in the 70's or 80's? Didn't bands use to take maybe 70% of the gate or even a set price no matter how many came?

As stonesnow pointed out, they do not made money on record sales anymore, so they have to charge more, but maybe its also the overhead costs that have skyrocketed.

of course they make money on record sales. They had a number 1 album just two years ago for goodness sake. And that was for a reissue!!

Overheads are more of an issue if you dont have a corporate sponsor. Quite a few major acts dont tend to use them. The Stones are the opposite as they get paid tens of millions of dollars per tour by corporate sponsors which overrides the financial risk factor. In fact, their 81 tour was the first tour to use one.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 18, 2012 18:40

I'm thinking that while the band is playing in London I'll settle in for an evening with "Four Flicks."

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 18, 2012 18:55

When Michael Cohl came into the business - fxxx him

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: October 18, 2012 20:16

SundanceKid
Highest price I ever paid was around £ 90,-. Not willing to pay much more since the guitarplaying hasn't been improving.

grinning smiley

Date: October 18, 2012 20:22

Gazza
2000 LYFH

of course they make money on record sales. They had a number 1 album just two years ago for goodness sake. And that was for a reissue!!

Overheads are more of an issue if you dont have a corporate sponsor. Quite a few major acts dont tend to use them. The Stones are the opposite as they get paid tens of millions of dollars per tour by corporate sponsors which overrides the financial risk factor. In fact, their 81 tour was the first tour to use one.

Ok on the record sales. It just sounded like a contributing factor to increased concert prices. What was the worldwide sales figure on their last greatest hits album from two years ago? I've sure heard many artists complaining about album sales over the last decade.

There's no question the Stones are greedy (or what ever word someone wants to use), but the corporate sponsors have the responsibility of the risk, therefore greatly increasing ticket prices. And they (sponsors) certainly may have higher overhead costs, so my original question is still valid.

I wonder if the corporate sponsors give the Stones what they want in return for the sponsors then having 100% control over the ticket prices, since they have 100% of the risk. Of course you can argue if the Stones asked for less, then the sponsors would charge less...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 18, 2012 20:36

Just had a look at viagogo prices.A little bit too much for me.The fans should be getting these tickets at face value instead of the re-sellers/touts/scalpers.I realy hope they have a hard time shifting tix they hold and the fans end up getting them at face value or below on day of show.angry smiley
The Rolling Stones
The O2 arena, Sunday, 25 November 2012 19:00
Section: A2, Row: A
Number of Tickets: 2
Price: £22,727.27
Booking Fee: £3,409.10
Shipping: (Based on lowest priced delivery) £9.95
VAT: £681.82
Ticket Guarantee: Free

Do you have a Gift Voucher?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Price: £26,828.14 ..

Date: October 18, 2012 20:40

The data is in. The true culprit has been identified. In a moment, we shall post his photo. Please bear with us for just a moment ....

Date: October 18, 2012 20:41

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 18, 2012 20:46

tatters

Caption...........go on, eat this apple..................

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 18, 2012 20:49

treaclefingers
I had a free ticket for Dodger Stadium, second show in '97.

Mind you, the flight wasn't free.

We ended up with a freebee for that show. The seats on the ticket didn't exist so we were let in with almost nosebleed seats and had our charge to TM reversed.

As far as the Cream concert goes, I paid $5.50 for my seat because I couldn't afford the $6.50 seat at the time.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 18, 2012 21:41

BluzDude
treaclefingers
I had a free ticket for Dodger Stadium, second show in '97.

Mind you, the flight wasn't free.

We ended up with a freebee for that show. The seats on the ticket didn't exist so we were let in with almost nosebleed seats and had our charge to TM reversed.

As far as the Cream concert goes, I paid $5.50 for my seat because I couldn't afford the $6.50 seat at the time.

Just goes to show you don't get what you paid for!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home