Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T Mr. Peach - The Japanese Mike Milliard
Posted by: kees ()
Date: June 21, 2009 10:58

Quite recentely some great recordings are released in Japan taped by a guy mostly in the 70-ties and early 80-ties named as Mr. Peach. Lots of Clapton but also very interesting recordings from Fleedwood Mac, Stanley Clarck/Jeff Back, MSG, Rainbow, Iron Maiden, AC/DC , Queen, etc.
Often the quality is amazing considering the time when recorded and I find quite a few of his recordings better than the famous Mike Milliard recordings. They have much more 'depth/warmth' in them.
All of them released by Tarantura in gorgeous packings.
Heavily recommended!

Re: O/T Mr. Peach - The Japanese Mike Milliard
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 21, 2009 11:54

Very interesting thread Kees! smileys with beer I was wondering myself about Mr.Peach!

Do you know :
- how his tapes ended in the hands of bootleggers?
- if there is a list of the shows he taped?
- if he was a Tokyo-only taper or he sometimes travelled to other cities?

(I think you can add Neil Young to the list of Mr.Peach's "victims". He taped him on 1976 03 11 with superb results).

Date: June 21, 2009 14:14

Young I forgot indeed......

The guy who runs the Tarantura shop in Japan is befriended with Mr. Peach and got the tapes from him he told me last week.

I will try to get some more info on Mr. Peach and come back to you.

Date: June 21, 2009 15:44

"I will try to get some more info on Mr. Peach and come back to you."

It would be great if you could. And I agree with you. His tapes have an atmospheric quality, MIllard's recordings sometimes lack.

Here's an in-progress list :

- ERIC CLAPTON Tokyo 1974 11 02 (#1619 Royal Hotel CD)
- ERIC CLAPTON Festival Hall, Osaka 1975 10 23
- MSG Shinjuku Koseinenkin Hall, Tokyo 1978 07 31 (Leashed In The East CD)
- QUEEN Tokyo 1975 05 01 (Young Nobles Of Rock CD) [EDIT : not a Peach tape see below]
- QUEEN Budokan, Tokyo 1981 02 16 (The Miracle Game CD)
- SAXON ??? 1981 05 04

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-25 11:44 by dcba.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: June 21, 2009 15:56

Tarantura have also released several EC shows from the 70's that were taped by the "Song Brothers." All very good recordings.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 21, 2009 18:48

there was a guy from Tokyo next to us at the final O2 show who was recording the show and on the spot, I gave him a boot CD and he promised to send me a copy of his recording, which he never did and never has since.

He is the guy u see in certain shows holding up a California license plate with Stones on it.

He went to college at the University of Southern California and I have found no way of getting in touch with him. As a Cal Berkeley grad, I guess I should say "typical SC guy."

And I think he has recorded several shows over the years, travelling to many countries, but I have no idea whether he is the same guy, probably not

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-21 18:49 by timbernardis.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 21, 2009 21:58

dcba, I'm looking at my copy of 'Young Nobles of Rock' and it credits Song Brothers not Mr. Peach. However, the Neil Young Nagoya 3/3/76 show, released by Tarantura as 'Wet Show', is credited to Mr. Peach and sounds amazing. You mentioned Neil's 3/11/76 show as being a Mr. Peach tape, that would be one of the Budokan shows, released as 'We Love You', would it not ? (still looking for that one). Anyway, the fact that he taped Nagoya shows that he didn't only do Tokyo shows.

Date: June 21, 2009 23:03

Mr. Peach recorded approx. 300 concerts I was just informed! He did not only tape in Tokyo but also in Kyushuu, Nagoya and Osaka his friend from Tarantura told me. I have MSG in Nagoya and Clapton in Kita-Kyushuu for example.

Queen 16-2-81 is also an excellent audience recording by Mr. Peach

Date: June 21, 2009 23:26

That's great to hear, kees. I guess I've only actually heard the Neil Nagoya show but it really is a great-sounding tape. Wonder who else he recorded, and what else Tarantura might be releasing down the road. Any chance of getting any more info from your friend ?

Date: June 23, 2009 16:25

The first Tarantura releaze I think will be a non Mr Peach release - a 7CD Let Zeppelin set - this week or next week.
If you sent me an email to klandvreugd@yahoo.com I will be pleased to stay in touch with you about Mr Peach recordings.

which groups you prefer?

Date: June 23, 2009 23:29

Thanks kees, you've got mail.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 23, 2009 23:42

Interesting. If they're better than the Millards, that's saying something! Although Millard's Led Zeppelin tapes sound better than his Stones ones..

Date: June 24, 2009 00:17

andrew - I have not received your mail

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 24, 2009 00:20

kees
The first Tarantura releaze I think will be a non Mr Peach release - a 7CD Let Zeppelin set - this week or next week.
If you sent me an email to klandvreugd@yahoo.com I will be pleased to stay in touch with you about Mr Peach recordings.

which groups you prefer?

Which shows are these? Led Zep's tour of Japan in '71 or '72?

Date: June 24, 2009 22:50

Hi Kees,

That's strange, I just checked my sent messages and I had your email address correct. Just sent it again.....

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 25, 2009 02:19

I am still looking for Dee Dee Ramone 2001 and more Cheap Trick (1996 and prior).

Date: June 25, 2009 11:49

"Young Nobles of Rock" is available for free here :
[zombtracker.the-zomb.com]
[EDIT : a truly rocking show. In 1975 they could kick our fav's band ass...]

I got the Peach recording of N.Young's 1976 03 11 show here (mp3 format only, ouch!)
[bigozine2.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-25 22:28 by dcba.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 25, 2009 12:51

I can tell more tapers are working for their living from the site below.
[cart05.lolipop.jp]

Date: June 25, 2009 12:59

Thanks Toru!

[cart05.lolipop.jp]
Only ONE Stones title for sale !? winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-25 13:01 by dcba.

Date: June 25, 2009 15:02

Kees did the TR boss tell you about Mr.Crypton?
Looks like another interesting character who would turn on his DAT even before entering the venue to capture the pre-gig atmosphere smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-25 15:08 by dcba.

Date: May 24, 2010 23:43

4 new ones :

[www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

I've "acquired" though torrent sites a few Peach tapes but imho they're quite below the Millard standard...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-25 21:34 by dcba.

Date: May 25, 2010 23:18

... or (as I've just noticed) is it the ABSOLUTELY sh!tty mastering done by the "geniuses" at Tarantura that's the culprit : the cassettes are transfered with the levles sets far too high. It generate tons of distortion and a lack of clarity once the cd are played at moderate to high volume...

Sh!tty job, indeed... Let's hope the Mr. Peach cassettes will be properly transfered "one day"

Date: May 25, 2010 23:32

I don't agree with your opinion. The neil Young gigs are top quality. Same for the Peter Frampton and Fleedwood Mac releases. Most of the Rainbow releases are very good too. for me most of the Mr Peach releases have a 'warmer' sound than the MM tapes.

Crypton is another taper, who recently also taped Beck his gig from last month. I have not listened to it yet.

But of course it is a matter of taste too. Anyway, the guy taped donzens of historical gigs in Japan. I almost forgot his great Clapton recordings.....

Date: May 25, 2010 23:50

Yeah, as I stated earlier, I've only heard the one Mr. Peach recording and that is the Neil 'Wet Show' title (Nagoya '76) and it sounds amazing, very "warm" as kees suggested. I can't speak to the other releases, not being too interested in Frampton, Rainbow or Clapton. Still wonder what else he taped, though.

Date: May 26, 2010 07:42

A great 81 Queen release for example Will check some other Tarantura releases too soon if he taped or not.

Date: May 26, 2010 23:30

Not sure, but I think the following are also Peach recordings:
- Eagles 79 + F.Mac '77 + Frampton 79 + S.Clacke/J.Beck 78
AC/DC 81

other great Tarantura releases (besides all the great Clapton and LZ stuff):
- Iron Maiden 81
Saxon 81
Moody Blues 74
Toto 82

The label is still very active, releasing very interesting (mostly '70-ties/early 80-ties) stuff in the most beautiful packaging you can imagine.

Date: May 27, 2010 00:31

I still tend to think some of these titles sound clipped and overloaded, and are improved when you play the FLAC files with the preamp set at 0.

Mr Paech had this gear (which is most probably a sony-tc-3000sd recorder*) a semi-pro device with two VU meters, so it's hard to imagine he recorded shows with the levels in the red. Therefore, logically, the clipping effect is not on the tape but is the effect of a "hot" mastering.

Just my opinion of course!

*the 3000sd was released in 1976, just when Mr Peach taped his 1st shows incl. Neil Young tour of Japan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-27 00:49 by dcba.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 27, 2010 13:54

Mr. Peach's 70's recordings of the Clapton Japan shows are stunning, especially for that era of recording. The Song Brothers have also produced some excellent Clapton shows.

I am not that big of a fan of the Crypton shows/tapes from the 90's. They sound a bit distant and muddy to me.

Date: July 10, 2010 19:54

At Dime a new Peach recording has been liberated : the Rainbow 1976-12-13 Fukuoka gig. [www.dimeadozen.org]
Great tape once again that really comes to life with VLC's preamp set at 0. thumbs up

Date: July 30, 2010 23:51

Finally found the proof Tarantura's messing with the orginal cassettes they lay their hands on...

Quote :
[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

"Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Nagoya, First Show In Japan [Tarantura 1CD Torrent: 149472] live at Aichken Taiikukan, Nagoya, Japan, March 3, 1976.

First show of Japan Tour. This complete version includes the second encore Cortez The Killer. Ex- AUD stereo. Some consider this an upgrade as it is from the taper's original cassette [1st gen] but it is a bit shrill.
From CHermann57 "I'll have to contradict everybody who takes this an upgrade, at least soundwise. I'm pretty sure that the original tape for this bootleg doesn't sound better than the previous version of this show (seeded by Ed Tyre in January 2007). But the people at Tarantura used a simple trick to make it sound clearer: they used heavy compression to make all parts of the concert sound louder. My audio remaster programm calls this "normalization" but it has nothing to do with the boost of the overall volume level - so everybody with a capable programme could have been done this too.

"The same trick is used nowadays by radio stations and during the ads at the TV to make the ads sound louder than the rest of the programme to catch the ear of the undiscerned listener or TV watcher). The problem is: the sound seems to be crisp and stellar but it is no longer natural, no, this Neil Young shows sounds now - at least to my ears - artificial.

"You can tell the manipulation if you'll take a look at the wave form of the tracks. Every part of the show (even every single second of each song) is now on the same level. That's what the compression did - IMHO not for good. I will stick in future to the last version of this marvellous show which sounds much more natural."

Hence the brickwalled effect... I wonder if we'll EVER listen to Mr. Peach treasures in a correct form.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1491
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home