Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT Love Love Me Do, You Know I Love You....
Posted by: Blue ()
Date: October 10, 2012 07:52

Dylan was considered pretty much a "folk singer" in '62 and had somewhat of a different fan base than the Beatles, more among the intellectuals and academics, the Beatles appealed to almost everyone at this time IMHO. They were just huge! Heck, Dylan didn't even go electric until '65, and his popularity then soared when 'Like a Rolling Stone" ran up the charts to number one...most of his songs that he wrote actually became more popular when the Byrds covered many of his songs also around '65 at the time. This is not to take away from his brilliance of course, but the Beatles sounded so unique, fresh, and phenomenal when we all heard them for the first time a loooooooong time ago.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 10, 2012 09:34

stonesnow
Glam Descendant
Lennon designated this song as his "least favourite Beatles song" in a 1973 interview and later said it was the song he most regretted writing.

[www.beatlesbible.com]#!

It's getting better all the time
he used to be cruel to his woman
he beat her and kept her
from the things that she loved...

Man, I was mean, but I'm changing my scene.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 10, 2012 09:40

Paul wrote "Getting Better" fwiw (except for one line, I know).

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 10, 2012 18:03

Always thought "Getting Better" summed up Paul's optimism and John's cynicism pretty well.

Paul: It's getting better all the time.

John: It can't get no worse.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 10, 2012 19:34

Elmo Lewis
Always thought "Getting Better" summed up Paul's optimism and John's cynicism pretty well.

Paul: It's getting better all the time.

John: It can't get no worse.

yeah, but I alsways thought he had John in mind on the verse with "I used to be cruel to my woman..."

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: October 11, 2012 00:08

Come On
Congratulation to 50 years today!

Bloody hell, what a boring song hearing this one after so many years I just have to laugh about it, how the hell was it possible that this made such an inpact back than? it looks like a complete joke to me now.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 11, 2012 00:15

what a boring song hearing this one after so many years

YEAH they should dropped the vocal harmonies and slotted in some dirty rapping .... Fisherman's Friend instead of Jelly Babies woulda helped tooooo

ROCKMAN

Posted by: belubettlo ()
Date: October 11, 2012 05:33

A Year in the Life: The Beatles 1962 - Roger McGough

A Year In The Life: Beatles '62 narrates the pivotal breakthrough year for the newly mop-topped Liverpool beat combo via the recollections of those who knew and worked alongside them in 1962.
An oral history narrated by Liverpool contemporary Roger McGough, A Year In The Life recounts a familiar tale via the less-familiar recollections of those who were vital to The Beatles development in 1962.
The programme will range from their unsuccessful January 1st audition for Decca records through to the recording and release of their breakthrough hit 'Love Me Do'.
A Year In the Life will also reflect upon their crowning in the Merseybeat newspaper as the leading Liverpool group, their first radio broadcasts at the BBC's Manchester studios, the death of original bassist Stu Sutcliffe, their return to Hamburg's Star Club, & the ousting of drummer Pete Best.
Contributors include Bill Harry(the editor of Merseybeat), Klaus Voorman (their close friend from Hamburg & the artist responsible for Revolver's striking sleeve) Pete Best (their original drummer) Joe Brown & Mike Berry (who shared bills with the group shortly before their national fame) Andy White (the studio session drummer who played on 'Love Me Do') & publicist Tony Calder (who promoted their first single).

Broadcast on BBC Radio 2, 3 Oct 2012

A Year in the Life

56min. @ 128

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 11, 2012 05:44

Thabo - Your ears are out of tune!!!!

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 14, 2012 23:24

Sipuncula
Stonesnow

The Stones themselves certainly thought so. From his book Nankering With The Rolling Stones, here is James Phelge's account of when The Stones first heard The Beatles' Love Me Do in the front room of 102 Edith Grove [pp. 28-29]:

I remember that Phelge used to post regularly to the Undercover e-mail list in the '90s. That passage is pretty eloquent compared to his posting style. I wonder if Phelge (and Undercover) are still active...

He's currently selling his book Phelge's Stones through the new books section of the Stones News site at

stonesnews.com

It's the original 1998 version of Nankering with... and is the original unedited 374-page UK version. He even offers to sign it with a personal dedication if you send him a request by email: James_Phelge@btconnect.com

He also has a "Phelgeworld" site:

www.phelge.com/

This site features The James Phelge Blog. Interestingly, considering the topic of this thread, Phelge also has a blog entry on the 50th anniversary of Love Me Do, titled After Love Me Do at 50 - Can we let it be?, admitting that it's one of only two Beatles songs he actually likes and expresses the hope that he won't be forced to listen to each Beatles song over again as their respective 50-year anniversaries come up. He recounts in this blog entry the Stones' reaction to hearing Love Me Do for the first time at Edith Grove and how, only weeks later, the Beatles themselves would be standing in that very room, with Macca searching in vain for a clean place to sit.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 15, 2012 08:40

This weeks The Beatles:

It's called timing....

Better books:

Date: October 22, 2012 08:07

New week new Beatles video:

Date: November 16, 2012 08:54

IT'S FRIDAY!!!

How about a Beatles-vid?:

smileys with beer

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home