Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dylan: Stones are the best
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 5, 2023 14:13

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

Dylan calls them out as the best of all time....have to agree with Bob.

Re: Dylan: Stones are the best
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 5, 2023 14:30

Warms the cockles don't it .

Even if it's just one old geezer bigging up another bunch of old geezers...he won't find many around here who disagree with him winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 5, 2023 15:36

I don't care much about that way too obvious recicled nostalgic stuff by Farout, but you know, reading such things about my two favourite acts of all-time, I like, like it, yes I do.

Besides, what they wrote about "Like A Rolling Stone" comes very close to my thesis that this particular tune is the birth of modern rock as we know it, or to put it other way, with that song pop music started to be considered as a serious form of art, distinguished from just commercial pop music. The folk intellectualism met the British beat music.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-05 15:37 by Doxa.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 5, 2023 16:35

rule 1: Never take anything Dylan says by face value

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 5, 2023 20:12

In that same interview from over a decade ago where he gave the Stones such high praise as "the greatest" , he also said the Stones are "pretty much finished".
He continues with “I’m not saying they don’t keep going, but they need Bill. Without him they’re a funk band. They’ll be the real Rolling Stones when they get Bill back.”

> BOB-Stones

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 5, 2023 23:24

Hairball
In that same interview from over a decade ago where he gave the Stones such high praise as "the greatest" , he also said the Stones are "pretty much finished".
He continues with “I’m not saying they don’t keep going, but they need Bill. Without him they’re a funk band. They’ll be the real Rolling Stones when they get Bill back.”

> BOB-Stones

Dylan said what many of us have known for almost 30 years. They still rock, but they don't roll. I don't know about funk. Bill played way funkier than the sideman they've employed all these years. And he's right that they were pretty much finished artistically. They'll always be a great blues band. They proved that on Blue and Lonesome. But they'll never be the pop geniuses they were with Wyman and Watts.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2023 00:59

ROCKMAN

Date: January 6, 2023 09:27

Rockman

They certainly weren't the last, the Foo Fighters were really good. It appears the well has run dry, unless you're a real insider and know some unknown groups. It's hard to accept that rock and roll is basically over. There'll be a little spark know and then (Eazy Sleazy), but the Stones are like Ellington carrying on with an orchestra long after big bands were over. It was a great ride. I'm so glad I got to live when I did.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 6, 2023 12:20

U2 came after .They were pretty great

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: January 6, 2023 13:25

As much as i like U2, they are no rock n roll band

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 6, 2023 19:03

24FPS
Hairball

> BOB-Stones

Dylan said what many of us have known for almost 30 years. They still rock, but they don't roll. I don't know about funk. Bill played way funkier than the sideman they've employed all these years. And he's right that they were pretty much finished artistically. They'll always be a great blues band. They proved that on Blue and Lonesome. But they'll never be the pop geniuses they were with Wyman and Watts.

thumbs up I agree, they still rock but have lost much of their roll. And indeed, they had far funkier moments with Bill than any they've had since with sidemen. Perhaps fittingly, I think today (January 6) is the 30th anniversary of the public announcement of Bill's departure...even though we later learned that the true departure was in fact some time earlier.

Date: January 8, 2023 17:53

floodonthepage
24FPS
Hairball

> BOB-Stones

thumbs up I agree, they still rock but have lost much of their roll. And indeed, they had far funkier moments with Bill than any they've had since with sidemen. Perhaps fittingly, I think today (January 6) is the 30th anniversary of the public announcement of Bill's departure...even though we later learned that the true departure was in fact some time earlier.

what a @#$%& cliche.....they do both...why?..because they are the glimmers and they wrote the book.

Date: January 9, 2023 08:11

Rip This
floodonthepage
24FPS
Hairball

> BOB-Stones

what a @#$%& cliche.....they do both...why?..because they are the glimmers and they wrote the book.

They DID both.

Date: January 9, 2023 14:12

the glass is half empty or half full dude....easy.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 9, 2023 17:16

24FPS
Bill played way funkier than the sideman they've employed all these years.

Imho the 89/90 live "vibe" was much colder robotic (and boring?) than the one in 94/95.
Goes to show nothing's cut and dried with the stones... Bill was funky when the band was (63 to 82). When Mick took over the band in 89 and directed how the band would sound on the SW tour (pro predictable... aka robotic) Bill's playing didn't bring back the "funk" factor.

Date: January 10, 2023 06:44

dcba
24FPS
Bill played way funkier than the sideman they've employed all these years.

Imho the 89/90 live "vibe" was much colder robotic (and boring?) than the one in 94/95.
Goes to show nothing's cut and dried with the stones... Bill was funky when the band was (63 to 82). When Mick took over the band in 89 and directed how the band would sound on the SW tour (pro predictable... aka robotic) Bill's playing didn't bring back the "funk" factor.

He sure did bring the funk in 89/90. Bill on Harlem Shuffle had the horns and backup singers hopping. And Rock and a Hard Place broke out of stiff studio bassline and really moved on stage.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: January 10, 2023 12:39

All time best? Bob knows it: The Beatles. Obviously. But Bob is Robert. I am sure he believed what he said at that very moment, on the other hand he knows we are listening... You ask him a day later and he'd say something different...

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: January 12, 2023 00:54

frenki09
All time best? Bob knows it: The Beatles. Obviously. But Bob is Robert. I am sure he believed what he said at that very moment, on the other hand he knows we are listening... You ask him a day later and he'd say something different...

Bob is talking about Rock n Roll bands. The Beatles were truly great, but they are more pop than Rock n Roll.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 12, 2023 01:09

Pop yes .......... True .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 12, 2023 04:41

frenki09

Yes Bob knows it - after dismissing the Stones by saying they're a "funk band" without Bill and are "pretty much finished", he seems to over-exaggerate with with his praise of the Stones - a bit tongue-in-cheek.

On the other hand, here's what Bob had to say about the Beatles - solid and genuine complimentary praise.

"We were driving through Colorado, we had the radio on, and eight of the Top 10 songs were Beatles songs...'I Wanna Hold Your Hand,' all those early ones.
They were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid... I knew they were pointing the direction of where music had to go."

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 12, 2023 11:21

There is a Beatles vs. Stones thread if someone is so disturbed by Dylan praising the Stones. Probably the Beatles fans could write there their knowledge about Dylan's inner feelings of liking the FabFour more. But who knows if Bobby likes the Beach Boys even more.

- Doxa

Date: January 12, 2023 14:46

Bravo Doxa. Well said....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home