Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT--RIP Dino Danelli of the Rascals
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 16, 2022 20:34

This is terrible news.

He was a great showman in one of the best bands of the '60's.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Re: OT--RIP Dino Danelli of the Rascals
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 17, 2022 00:25

RIP Dino A great drummer and showman.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 17, 2022 01:10

RIP

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 17, 2022 04:01

Very sad news...

RIP Dino Danelli

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 17, 2022 13:31

Largely unknown in the UK, where "Groovin'" was their only hit and one of only two singles that charted. They were huge here in the States, though, and maybe even bigger in Canada. I always took a certain amount of Italian-American New York pride in their success, and in the fact that they used their real names, instead of adopting fake showbiz names, as many Italian and Jewish entertainers did in those days. Unlike the mid-sixties other big New York group, the Lovin' Spoonful, their music actually sounded like New York, not so much the sound of Manhattan, maybe, but more like the sound of the poorer, working class outer boroughs.

It's amazing to me that as recently as just a few days ago, all four original members of the Rascals were still alive. I don't think you can say that about any other group that had a hit record while the Beatles were still touring. I was thrilled when their 2013 reunion tour finally made it out to Detroit where I live now. I believe it was the next-to-last show of the tour, and the last show anywhere outside of New York with the original lineup.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-17 13:40 by tatters.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 18, 2022 21:52

One of the greats ! Loved his style, his groove. The Rascals were such an incredible band !

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 18, 2022 22:36

Were they really that unknown in the U.K.? 'Good Lovin'', 'People Got to Be Free', 'How Can I Be Sure' never made it there?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 18, 2022 23:16

24FPS
Were they really that unknown in the U.K.? 'Good Lovin'', 'People Got to Be Free', 'How Can I Be Sure' never made it there?

"Groovin'" peaked at #8 in the UK. "A Girl Like You," their only other charting single, made it to #37. It's odd, I know. Their 1968 greatest hits album was considered a must have for any American pop and rock fan, and went all the way to #1 on the Billboard chart.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2051
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home