Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT/Any good movies or Tv series
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 11, 2012 04:49

whitem8
It is a lot like x-Files, but actually better in some ways.

Better? Really? That is saying a whole lot.... X-files is a pretty great.
I never watched Xfiles until it was off the air and in reruns...but the
subtle humor has me roling on the floor sometimes..then they get all
serious.. then they toss in a one liner that makes you hoooowwwwl!!!

I will watch this Fringe based on your recommendation.... looks like the
new season starts Sept 28th [www.imdb.com]

Thanks whitem8

Date: September 11, 2012 06:14

GUNSMOKE....

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: September 12, 2012 09:13

21stcenturystones
GUNSMOKE....

Yeah Gunsmoke High Chapparal bonanza wagontrain Dead or alive...
Pretty western but pretty old too

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 12, 2012 12:28

I'll still frequent the cinema on occasion, but i must confess, I barely watch any television. I don't watch soaps, comedy, I don't stick a Blu-Ray or DVD in, etc. most of my viewing is on YouTube.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 12, 2012 13:52

whitem8

Newsroom. Finally an intelligent drama with real issues and thought-provoking political discourse.

+1

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 12, 2012 13:58

GUNSMOKE....

Geeeeeeeeez 21st .... thought ya be more a Sugarfoot kinda dude....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 12, 2012 17:51

21stcenturystones
GUNSMOKE....

Dick Van Dyke Show, Mary Tyler Moore, All In the Family, Flip Wilson Show. Just last night, I discovered that Bill Cosby had his own sitcom in the early 70s.
Sometimes, the old war horses are just what you need.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 12, 2012 23:55

Can't wait for the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm.........absolutely the funniest show on tv.

Loved Dallas 2012.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: September 14, 2012 17:19

Hell on wheel season 1 is out on dvd now!!!!

Date: September 14, 2012 17:54

Bliss
Can't wait for the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm.........absolutely the funniest show on tv.

Loved Dallas 2012.

I haven't watched that show since 2002, but only because I stopped getting HBO and lost track. That show is probably my favorite comedy on TV of the last 20 years. Brilliant.

Date: September 15, 2012 06:37

Im officially hooked on "Copper" - love the set, the feel, the characters, the arcs......
and we're just about two episodes away from Corcoran ripping the corset off the widow Haverford.
Can't wait!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 19, 2012 15:40

This article about Louie also mentions a few other great series that I recommend, like NBC's Parks and Recreation and HBO's Girls, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

[www.slate.com]

Louie, Season 3
Why Louis C.K.’s unclassifiable show is the most indispensible series on TV.

A couple of months ago, after watching the first few episodes of Girls, I impulsively wrote that the HBO series had instantly become the best show on TV, surpassing what, to my mind, was the reigning champ: Louie, the unclassifiable half-hour FX show written, directed, produced, and edited by comedian Louis C.K., who is also the star. The rest of Girls’ first season rewarded those expectations; I enjoyed it from start to finish as much as any season of TV since the fourth season of The Wire. But if I was granted the power to keep one and only one show on the air, across all networks and genres, my choice would still be Louie. Let me explain.
Even the very best shows—not only Girls but Breaking Bad and Parks and Recreation and what have you—generally follow in the footsteps of series that have come before. Shows that truly attempt something never previously done are exceedingly rare. Louie is one of those shows.
What else can it be compared to? Sure, the snippets of C.K. doing stand-up at the Comedy Cellar and elsewhere vaguely resemble staged stand-up bits on Seinfeld. But only vaguely. And Louie himself, the put-upon everyman who is similar but not identical to C.K., might be compared to Curb Your Enthusiasm’s Larry David, who is similar but not identical to Larry David (who, of course, helped create Seinfeld). But that show keeps David in the kind of fictional (or semifictional) universe we’re accustomed to on TV, with a cast of regular characters and plotlines that extend through multiple episodes in the manner of a more typical sitcom.

Louie has none of those things. While the show’s premise, if it can be called that—single dad with two daughters bumbling through life in New York City—might feel familiar, almost nothing else does. Sit down with any particular episode, and there’s no telling what you’ll get. A meditation on the lingering effects of a Catholic upbringing, perhaps. Or a story about going to Afghanistan with the USO. It might be a fantasia on the theme of house-hunting. Or a scripted but highly autobiographical confrontation with another, more famous comedian accused of stealing Louie’s jokes. The episode might show you some of Louie’s stand-up, or it might not. It might consist of two separate stories, a series of vignettes, or one continuous narrative. It might be hilarious. Or it might not even try to be funny.
And the episode might be stunningly affecting and brilliant—or only so-so. One inevitable consequence of such an experimental approach is that the results vary. But they will always be interesting.
And they will always be worth talking about, even if our talk about them has to take a slightly different form than much of our talk about TV. We can’t speculate about what will happen next. Who knows? And it doesn’t really matter. Any will-they-or-won’t-they chatter about Louie and, say, Pamela, is mostly beside the point. Louie is, as Time TV critic James Poniewozik has written, “TV series as worldview,” and so a conversation about the show is necessarily a conversation about that worldview, how C.K. expresses it, what he captures about the current moment and what he doesn’t capture. It’s a conversation worth having.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 19, 2012 15:56

stupidguy2
Bliss

Loved Dallas 2012.

I haven't watched that show since 2002, but only because I stopped getting HBO and lost track. That show is probably my favorite comedy on TV of the last 20 years. Brilliant.

Here you go. Watch all the episodes when you are snowed in or home with the flu.

[www.sidereel.com]

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 16, 2014 05:56

The new Woody Allen movie FADING GIGOLO has some amusing lines about Mick Jagger near the start (admittedly at Mick's expense).

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 16, 2014 07:06

Classic Doctor Who
B&W Twilight Zone

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 16, 2014 07:38

Columbo

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 16, 2014 08:20

There's a great Aussie show from 1979-1986 called Prisoner (aka Prisoner Cell Block H). All 692 episodes are up on YouTube. The Stones get a mention occasionally, and you see a Stones poster on the wall in occasional scenes. A Stones reference in one of the episodes goes like this:

"It's ages since I've had a man. My legs have been together longer than The Rolling Stones".

Uploaded by PrisonerCellBlockH95 at: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 16, 2014 09:31

Twin Peaks Twin Peaks Twin Peaks.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 16, 2014 09:32

Aquamarine
Twin Peaks Twin Peaks Twin Peaks.

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 16, 2014 11:22

The Swedish show "Real Humans" beats anything that's currently on the market! thumbs up

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: May 16, 2014 12:43

The Swedish/Danish police show "The Bridge" is very good. Also Fargo-new TV show not the movie. Both shown on SBS in Australia

A scene in The Bridge this week was in a room with a classic album covers on the wall, one of which was Exile

Date: May 16, 2014 13:06

......Fargo

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 16, 2014 13:16

Nurse Jackie, Weeds, Mad Men

Date: May 16, 2014 13:57

....nurse Jackie needs mad men .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 16, 2014 14:04

The Big Bang Theory

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 16, 2014 14:08

Wild Slivovitz
The Big Bang Theory

Not much to watch there - BANG!...there's the universe.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 16, 2014 16:37

True Detective - a crime story with social, ethical, existential and philosophical implications told on three time levels culminating in the present. Appreciate it more than Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire, which are also highlights in the history of TV series.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-16 16:43 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: May 16, 2014 17:48

Anything to do with Godzilla. On Movies on Demand and Encore on Demand they're showing the old Godzilla movies just in time for Godzilla 2014's release (today)! Gonna see it tomorrow in 3D. I'm stoked. Anyway, the older movies are great, I especially like Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla vs Space Godzilla (nasty creature!).

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 16, 2014 18:57

NYPD blue is my favourite TV series
12 years a slave is the best film I've seen recently.

Nate

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 16, 2014 19:13

"Tell me about the shooting." "It was JUSTIFIED."
I can't believe no one mentioned this one.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home