Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Aerosmith and Depp
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 12, 2012 07:05

tatters
Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
I know the reviews have been fairly good for this tour, but I can't watch Steven Tyler perform anymore without thinking of burgers and Idols. Ugh...

Gotta agree, his stint on the hated/dreaded AI and those cheesy burger king ads ruined (what was left of) his street cred, for me anyway... I hope, for his sake, that he was paid a lot of money for these... buc buc

What're ya talkin' about? Sixty-four-year-old millionaires are always hanging around Burger King, getting up to all sorts of hijinks.
Yup... Tyler blends right in... he is just perfect for this ad grinning smiley

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 12, 2012 11:01

Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
I know the reviews have been fairly good for this tour, but I can't watch Steven Tyler perform anymore without thinking of burgers and Idols. Ugh...

Gotta agree, his stint on the hated/dreaded AI and those cheesy burger king ads ruined (what was left of) his street cred, for me anyway... I hope, for his sake, that he was paid a lot of money for these... buc buc

What do you mean 'what was left of his street cred?' That's like saying Jagger ruined what was left of his street cred by collaborating with Dave Stewart and allowing himself and the Stones to be directed by Martin Scorsese, because Steven Tyler & Co. have been turning out cheesy burger king type product since the late 80s (Douche Bags Like A Lady, etc.).

Date: August 12, 2012 17:32

stonesnow
Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer

What do you mean 'what was left of his street cred?' That's like saying Jagger ruined what was left of his street cred by collaborating with Dave Stewart and allowing himself and the Stones to be directed by Martin Scorsese, because Steven Tyler & Co. have been turning out cheesy burger king type product since the late 80s (Douche Bags Like A Lady, etc.).

Are you calling Bruce Fairbairn Don Was? Nice use of "cheesy burger king type product", that was good.

Date: August 12, 2012 17:33

stonesnow
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Title5Take1
I read an interviewer ask Courtney Love, "If you had to choose to do only one thing, would it be acting or music?" Love answered, "Music. Every actor I've known wishes he could have been a musician. I've never met a musician who wished he were in actor."

Oh? That just means she's never met Mick Jagger.

An even better example is Elvis the pelvis.

You have to wonder if the post-military Elvis went in to film full time as a sort of semi-retirement option that would still keep him in the public eye as well as his mansion--because he must certainly have been aware of how the army neutered his rock-n-roll rebel image, and his most devoted fans knew it, too. When Elvis died, John Lennon famously commented, "Elvis died the day he went into the army."

Would anyone consider that the possible first time someone jumped the shark?

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: August 13, 2012 04:56

The BK ads were a bit much but I still remember Aerosmith in the early to late 70's and they ROCKED!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 13, 2012 05:02

stonesnow
treaclefingers
stonesnow
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Title5Take1
I read an interviewer ask Courtney Love, "If you had to choose to do only one thing, would it be acting or music?" Love answered, "Music. Every actor I've known wishes he could have been a musician. I've never met a musician who wished he were in actor."

Oh? That just means she's never met Mick Jagger.

An even better example is Elvis the pelvis.

You have to wonder if the post-military Elvis went in to film full time as a sort of semi-retirement option that would still keep him in the public eye as well as his mansion--because he must certainly have been aware of how the army neutered his rock-n-roll rebel image, and his most devoted fans knew it, too. When Elvis died, John Lennon famously commented, "Elvis died the day he went into the army."

I read that Elvis' idols were Dean Martin and James Dean. Keeping in mind that there was no history to rock n roll, he had influences in Blues and Country, but to him, being a star was to be a crooner, and to do movies, which is exactly what he did starting in '56 with Love Me Tender, then Loving You and Jailhouse Rock the following year. I think the only think the army did, was to interrupt the flow of films for a couple of years.

edit: and who could forget King Creole in '58

True, but the advent of rock-n-roll, along with James Dean, created the market of the teenager, notably the rebellious type a la Blackboard Jungle, and Elvis was right there in the thick of it. Sure, he did movies in the beginning, but after the army, his music lost its bite--no more Hound Dogs and such. And what happened to the live performances? Because his 1968 television concert was billed as his "comeback". Being drafted into the army surely must have been a blow to his image, having to get his hair buzz-clipped and follow orders and all that.

Well I personally think the 'rebel image' was just an image. Deep down, he was a nice guy that couldn't handle all the attention once it hit big. I think the only thing the army did was have him lose a little momentum for about 18 months, but he recorded stuff that was released while in the army, and by 1960 was back to music and movies.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 23, 2012 08:58

On the July 29 episode (archived) of Alec Baldwin's Podcast show HERE'S THE THING, he interviewed Billy Joel. It includes this exchange:

BALDWIN: "I always say, acting is what you do when you have no musical ability."

JOEL: "That’s what actors say. They all want to be musicians."

BALDWIN: "If I could do what you do, I would never do what I do. I would never ever ever ever waste five minutes doing what I do if I could do what you do."

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 23, 2012 22:35

tatters
Photo taken at Giants Stadium, August 6, 1978. Worst concert I've ever attended. My friend, who was on a three-week pot-smoking binge at the time, couldn't even take it. Walked out after Ted Nugent and waited for me in the car. I still have the program somewhere. It says something about how Steven Tyler "commands the stage like the young Mick Jagger of long ago."

Please explain why. I would like to hear more about this.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: August 24, 2012 04:22

Go johnny go.....

Posted by: Guitarguitar ()
Date: February 17, 2014 22:40

Johnny Depp and Joe Perry played on the same track for Steve Hunter's last solo album 'The Manhattan Blues Project'.
Steve was the guy who played the (uncredited) first half solo on Aerosmith's 'Train Kept A Rollin' in the 70's.

The track is called 'The Brooklyn Shuffle' Hunter is the first solo, Depp is the second and Perry is the third.

The Brooklyn Shuffle

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1407
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home