Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT - recent Bowie sighting in NYC
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 16, 2012 09:58

Floorbird
So it's him to blame for the eighties.

He's to blame for his own eighties:

"Let's Dump

Put on your brown shoes
and dump the poop...

into the toilet
the shittiest toilet..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-16 10:02 by stonesnow.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 16, 2012 10:12

Yeah but he stopped listening to Tony Visconti.

Date: August 16, 2012 19:27

I'm playing the remastered 1978 live STAGE album right now!!!

God this is brilliant.

That was a sh*t hot band he had.

(Note: The remastered version is vastly superior to the original release - thanks to Tony Visconti).

I wish I had been there.

In fact I'm wallowing in Bowie's Berlin years right now... Low, Heroes, Lodger.. AND.. Iggy Pop "The Idiot" (brilliant) and "Lust for Life".

This man was an artist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-16 19:32 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 17, 2012 02:08

And he has impeccable taste:

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 17, 2012 03:17

Yeah Gravityboy, Stage is phenomenal. The version of Heros is sublime with his final vibrato phrasing is brilliant. Lodger is a real unsung gem from Bowie with some incredible songs on it. I was so psyched that he did Fantastic Voyage on the Reality tour, a great version on the Reality Live disc.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 17, 2012 04:37

NICOS
Rock 'N' Roll Suicide

Great cover.......think Janis Joplin would fit this song too

makes me want to listen to everything David Bowie. thx.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 17, 2012 06:17

If he received $55 million in 1997 and invested it all in NYC real estate, he could be near $1 Billion today.

Date: August 17, 2012 08:49

guess this is a good place to ask a bowie question instead of starting a new thread. my friend wants to sell me they 2 cd anniversary edition of david bowie aka space oddidity and the 1972 santa monica cd. i don't know too much about the space oddity album other than the title track. can i get som eopinions on these releases?

Date: August 17, 2012 09:07

I'm very fond of the "Space Oddity" reissue but what's he asking for it? You can get a new copy from Amazon for less than $13. It's absolutely worth it. You can probably hear most of the tracks on youtube. Disk 2 has some very good, rare singles from that era (if my memory serves me well). After the odd Deram debut album and a bunch of singles with different bands, it's pretty much where the Bowie story really kicks into gear, but pre-Ronson. (Edited to add: Ronson does appear on some of the bonus tracks on disk 2, *and* you can hear Marc Bolan play on the original version of "The Prettiest Star"! That's worth price of admission.)

"Santa Monica '72" is a great boot that I'm not sure Bowie has ever authorized an official commercial release, if that matters to you. It's great, but it's a straight radio broadcast, no remaster or anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 09:26 by Glam Descendant.

Date: August 17, 2012 09:29

Yes Space Oddity is like a precursor to Ziggy Stardust.

Space Oddity.
Cygnet Committee
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed
Wild eyed boy from freecloud

Those stand out, but the others are good too.

I liked the album cover they issued in the 70s which had those fantastic pictures of Bowie dressed as Ziggy.

I was completely puzzled when I saw the original long permed hair cover.

The Santa Monica stuff is on YouTube as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 09:30 by GravityBoy.

Date: August 17, 2012 09:39

Glam Descendant
I'm very fond of the "Space Oddity" reissue but what's he asking for it? You can get a new copy from Amazon for less than $13. It's absolutely worth it. You can probably hear most of the tracks on youtube. Disk 2 has some very good, rare singles from that era (if my memory serves me well). After the odd Deram debut album and a bunch of singles with different bands, it's pretty much where the Bowie story really kicks into gear, but pre-Ronson. (Edited to add: Ronson does appear on some of the bonus tracks on disk 2, *and* you can hear Marc Bolan play on the original version of "The Prettiest Star"! That's worth price of admission.)

"Santa Monica '72" is a great boot that I'm not sure Bowie has ever authorized an official commercial release, if that matters to you. It's great, but it's a straight radio broadcast, no remaster or anything.

i think the santa monica '72 thats in stores was authorized by bowie. its on his current label.

anyways my friend wants $15 total. they are both still sealed, he gets free stuff from that label and isn't a bowie fan

Date: August 17, 2012 09:45

It's worth that imo.

I meant to add that the restoration of the original (very rare) artwork for the second album was a major selling point for me, very nice to have (particularly the fold-out illustration). Amazingly it had never used for any prior reissue, RCA choosing instead to go with misleading Ziggy imagery (beautiful in and of itself as posted above, but not apropos for this album).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 09:58 by Glam Descendant.

Date: August 17, 2012 09:59

I think most people who bought Space Oddity bought the one with the Ziggy cover.

When Bowie was finally a hit with Starman and the Ziggy Stardust album they retrofitted the covers of Space Oddity and Man Who sold the WOrld.

They didn't touch Hunky Dory however (which was a great cover anyway).

Date: August 17, 2012 10:03

>I think most people who bought Space Oddity bought the one with the Ziggy cover.

Without a doubt.

Of course, prior to that it wasn't titled SPACE ODDITY... but still, I'm sure more folks bought the reissue than had bought the first release. Ditto TMWSTW -- but I'm glad, again, that the original dress cover has been restored (and the weird cosmic inner sleeve on that one). Ryko even did good by including the alternate cartoon cover for that one.

Date: August 17, 2012 11:04

anyone think there will be a deluxe edition of TMWSTW or hunky dory?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 17, 2012 14:27

Yeah I think there will be. But probably not until the Deluxe Heroes and Low come out. TMWSTW would have some great opportunities. The full concert of the Hype, and video. Could have all the different cover mock ups, alternate mixes, and beautiful glossies. Honky Dory is one of my favs as well, and also would be ripe for a Deluxe box set. Lets hope so.

Date: August 17, 2012 22:56

whitem8
Yeah I think there will be. But probably not until the Deluxe Heroes and Low come out. TMWSTW would have some great opportunities. The full concert of the Hype, and video. Could have all the different cover mock ups, alternate mixes, and beautiful glossies. Honky Dory is one of my favs as well, and also would be ripe for a Deluxe box set. Lets hope so.

is low and heroes already confirmed/scheduled?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 20, 2012 23:30

Another recent Bowie sighting in NYC.....from this week

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 20, 2012 23:42

Cheers.

Actually the Mail had a load of pictures. Silly article - why is someone just getting on with his life a recluse and as far as I know he has always operated under the name of David Jones when away from the media glare - but the pics are nice. He looks just great to me. No surgery, just a 65 year old guy in good shape.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: October 20, 2012 23:47

Oh yes, thanks, lots photos there. He looks healthy, not that one can really judge someones health just by some pics from the streets, but....
Really would be nice if he got the urge for making new music again.
Say....I thought a deluxe HEROES was set for release in 2012? You know anything about those plans, rebel ?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 20, 2012 23:53

who knew that David Bowie would become the new Greta Garbo.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 21, 2012 00:03

Hi Eric,

Don't know about a Heroes Deluxe to be honest; I only check his Facebook page once in a while. What I can add though is that the unidentified (according to the Mail) woman in the pics is definitely his long time assistant Coco who is sitting in the car with him in the Cracked Actor documentary. He owes his life to her really - she used to check his pulse when he collapsed after cocaine binges. What a job. Nice to see he is so loyal to her. A thoroughly decent guy.

Date: October 21, 2012 00:17

Aha it's Coco, haven't seen her since the 70s.
Hope to get a Heroes deluxe next year. The Station to Station LP/CD deluxe box from a few years back is one of the best deluxe boxes I've bought....the only thing that could've better would be if there were some outtakes included; but maybe he don't have much release-worth outtakes in the vaults; just like Rolling Stones doesn't. A Heroes box set might feature a DVD from 1978 Tour, I hope

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2027
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home