Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ian Anderson on the Stones
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 28, 2022 17:57

Jethro Tull released "The Zealot Gene", their first album since 2003, today. Ian Anderson's doing press for the record, including an interview with Graham Fuller of The Guardian. His referring to the Stones and The Who as "generic music" has already gotten some play.

From The Guardian:

Jethro Tull’s Ian Anderson: ‘Dressing up was fun – but my codpiece was distinctly unfragrant

Asked what Tull’s legacy should be, Anderson first apologises for “nicking” the name of the Berkshire agronomist who invented the horse-drawn seed drill. “Our booking agent gave it to us, and when I realised who Jethro Tull was, I was embarrassed, but we couldn’t change it because we’d just got the Marquee residency and were beginning to get some positive responses. I’ve always felt a bit guilty about it.

“Then I’d say that, over all those years, Jethro Tull tried hard. Some people might say we tried too hard, but it’s better to do that and fall on your face once in a while rather than sit comfortably backpedaling in order to keep on an even keel. I’d get restless if I did generic music like the Stones or even the Who, or the Ramones in the world of punk. I feel I’ve gotta get on and do something that allows me to get close to what I think I can do.

“If you can elaborate all of that and put it in a three-line epitaph for my tombstone, I’d be most grateful to receive the result by email at some point,” Anderson says. “In fact, I could get the stonemason working on it right now.”

Full interview > [www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-28 18:04 by bye bye johnny.

Re: Ian Anderson on the Stones
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2022 18:33

Funny how they all take turns at each other. Never have seen MJ do that.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 28, 2022 20:21

The Stones should withdraw their invitation to him for the Rock n Roll Circus.And by the way Ian, I fail to hear how Sgt. Pepper is so complex. Half the album is dressed up music hall schlock. The Stones went way beyond the blues. I bet a hundeed years from now people will be listening to Exile and not Aqualung

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-28 20:29 by Taylor1.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 28, 2022 20:46

Tsk Tsk , bad form Ian !

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 29, 2022 13:35

bye bye Johnny

Jethro Tull released "The Zealot Gene", their first album since 2003

With Martin Barre no longer in the band, what, exactly, is the difference between a Jethro Tull album and an Ian Anderson solo album these days? Besides, I thought he said years ago that he was retiring the JT moniker and wouldn't be using it again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-29 13:36 by tatters.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 29, 2022 13:57

As usual, a quote is blown out of proportion. Sure, it din't sound exactly positive towards the Stones, but he didn't say they were lame or that he dislike them. He used the Stones as an example of – probably – simple rock 'n' roll, which in his view isn't challenging or interesting enough for him to play. From a progressive or jazzy perspective, the Stones and the Who could be seen as "generic" and it doesn't bother me, even though "generic" is a bit of a negative term in this context.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 29, 2022 14:00

tatters
bye bye Johnny

Jethro Tull released "The Zealot Gene", their first album since 2003

With Martin Barre no longer in the band, what, exactly, is the difference between a Jethro Tull album and an Ian Anderson solo album these days? Besides, I thought he said years ago that he was retiring the JT moniker and wouldn't be using it again.

Yeah, it's like he's been trying to be a solo artist for decades – and occasionally complains about the choice of name for his band – but still can't get off that Jethro Tull wagon. On the other hand, I don't mind – they've always been rotating members a lot, and it's kind of nice to see them going.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 29, 2022 15:25

Tull certainly isn't generic. It's full blown awful.

Date: January 29, 2022 17:03

Worst heavy metal artist in history.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 29, 2022 17:57

1989 Grammy voters disagree.

Date: January 29, 2022 18:14

bye bye johnny
1989 Grammy voters disagree.

I have two words for you in reply:

Milli Vanilli

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 29, 2022 18:18

Locating Jethro Tull on a rock and roll map they would be quite far away from the Stones. If someone would pass Ian's comment to Keith we might get an answer how Ian's music looks like from the Stones perspective... I suggest that it wouldn't be just the 'roll' element missing.. smoking smiley

But apples and oranges. Ian's a cool dude, and he is absoletely right. Another thing if pointing out own peculariaty and excellence needs using other artists as a counter example, especially as iconic he mentions, and, with respect Ian, probably a bit more significiant names in the history of rock and roll. A bit cheap, I think.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-29 18:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 29, 2022 20:02

So many artists have done this. When Paul talks about the Stones in general he says a lot of nice things. By the time he releases another album he talks differently about them. Ah, it's all about getting attention. Ian Anderson may be afraid that he's been forgotten or something.
I saw JT live in Rotterdam's Doelen decades ago. Interesting music, but I had a beeb in my ear for several days. A shame really.smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 29, 2022 20:04

Never did take a liking to Jethro Tull music , and even less so after working at his Cotswold country mansion back in the 80's.

He gave me a bollocking for coming in the main entrance and not the tradesman entrance.

I was there working for BT providing a couple of extra phones in his pad,and he moaned like hell at how much it was costing him.

It was only about £20-30 at the time which is peanuts to him. confused smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 29, 2022 20:09

By the way, I have tickets for a Jethro Tull gig in April. It has been postponed several times, so let's see what will happen. But if the gig ever happens, sure in hell I will shout aloud, as all the old hippies around me will listen to all that progressive fiesta in a coma, 'Ian, that's too generic!'. grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: January 29, 2022 20:27

Doxa
By the way, I have tickets for a Jethro Tull gig in April. It has been postponed several times, so let's see what will happen. But if the gig ever happens, sure in hell I will shout aloud, as all the old hippies around me will listen to all that progressive fiesta in a coma, 'Ian, that's too generic!'. grinning smiley

- Doxa

Ha, enjoy the show, hope it goes forth.

I have tickets to the thrice postponed Herb Alpert in April, front row seats...hoping that will also move forward.

Date: January 29, 2022 20:34

Proggy, flute-bothering, soggy codpiece-wearing grade-A tosser.
the C-list dissing the A-list. It's unedifying.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1468
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home